Electrical & Lights Changing Bulbs for Foglights

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by RogerH69, Thursday 19th Feb, 2015.

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    From what I can see, to install the foglights on a 7th Generation Civic, you need to take the entire bumper off.

Am I correct that to change the bulbs in said foglights, one would also have to take the bumper off ?

I thought my next little 'project' would be to change out my faulty foglight bulb, as it bugs me knowing it's not working (and it's MOT time in a couple of months too) - so thought I'd double check on whether I can get at the bulb without taking the bumper off, and I want to ensure I know exactly what to do before I just jump in and rip stuff off my car :Smile:

I did a HK search for this, but didn't seem to find any guides for this, so I'll write up a short guide on this when I do it.

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    On the accord you can change them by dropping the front splash tray and snaking your arm through that way, I would imagine the Civic is the same, but I don't know for sure.

3. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks. I'll give that a try first then, assuming I can get myself under the car :Smile:

Nighthawk likes this.
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    For your car mate its the bumper off to gain access.. Its isn't a easy plug and play.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    On the Accord I can do it without taking anything off, just remove one bolt at each corner of the undertray and then push my hand up.
    Have a feel around, grab the bulb, twist off and pull it out with my hand, change the bulb, push back up and twist back on.
    Once done put the corner bolts back on the undertray.

Not sure if you can do that with the Civic.

6. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

OK thanks.

7. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I was told by a garage that did my service that I need to replace the entire foglight, as they said the bulb was too rusted in place to remove when they tried to replace the bulb for me (no, not ATS :Smile: ). Maybe they tried what you did and couldn't get the bulb out, due to limited access.

To be honest, I'd rather spend a short while taking off the bumper (it'll be a learning experience too for me) to get full access to the light to see if I can just replace the bulb, that to fork out over £50 for a replacement foglight, only to find out that I could've replaced just the bulb if I had taken the time to take off the bumper :Smile: Plus, I'm hoping to do it this weekend at @nick-b 's place, and if he can do an engine swap, I'm sure he will have no issues showing me how to remove a bumper :Smile: - To be honest, the video I watched on installing fog lights on a '04 Civic made the process look simple enough.

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Go for it mate.

Of course we will expect a full DIY Guide from you :Wink:

9. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

That's the secret reason for going to Nick - he can do the work and I'll take pictures ;-)
    - - - Updated - - -
    Awww crap, just remembered Nick reads these forums too .... :brickwall:

Nels and DeviateDefiant like this.
  10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

LOL

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
  12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Super grass :telloff: :Grin:

13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Wagwan? jointma4.

14. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Wasn't able to meet up with @nick-b this past weekend, so wasn't able to get under my car and get the bumper off. Maybe I can arrange it for this weekend.