Pre-Purchase Changing fuel filters.

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Harvey, Sunday 10th Jan, 2016.

1. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I think this year I will be looking to change my fuel filter on the Accord. As far as I know the car has never had this done and I have noticed that the fuel pump can be heard in the car while in motion as a quiet but high pitched whine comming from under the back seat (where it is located) I've seen how this is done on a few guides, but don't really fancy doing it myself. Particularly as the two securing bolts may snap on me.

I'd like to get this done at a Honda dealers as it would then more than likely be a genuine part (the origonal ( is assume) is 136k old now)

Has anyone one got any suggestions or recomendations at least?

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

HH at Stoke-on-Trent are great, but how about JT Hughes by you? I don't know what they're like, do you?

3. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've been there a few times to grab bits, but not really thought about going to them to have it done. I could get a price from them though, couldn't hurt.

4. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    You should try it yourself, it's really easy! I followed @AndyB1976 excellent guide and it was a doddle to do. I don't know how rusted if at all the bolts on yours are, but they are not very tight at all, so a bit of wd40ing them and then unbolting should do the trick.

I bought OEM part when I did mine, cost around £27 for the filter from HH which is quite pricey.

5. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    cheers @exec

Its not really a difficult job, maybe a bit awkward to do if you need to DIY on the street. I have a howto for it...somewhere (its on the 'other' forum, I better bring it over) lol.

However, as you feel a bit anxious about those bolts I'd personally just buy an OEM filter and ask a local garage to fit it. Should be an easy job for any mechanic to do. You could soak the bolts for a few days with a penetrating oil and see if they move then decide what to do from there.

exec likes this.
  6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I remembered one issue I had, which was taking the clip pipe connector thing off as I didn't understand how to do it, was doing it all wrong, was easy peasy in the end and a bit of :facepalm:moment.

7. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    When I done that, I couldn't find any DIY's anywhere so that was my first real attempt at doing something without following someone elses lead. I was nervous at the time about those bolts, which wasn't an issue, then the plastic clips (incase they broke) which just needed to be eased over the old filters retaining lip and probably most nervous because it was the fuel line, overall its not a tough job, just needs a bit of time and not to force or break anything.
    - - - Updated - - -
    ok..uploaded the guide here, just waiting Admin approval so might not show yet....

http://hondakarma.com/guides/diy-6th-generation-fuel-filter-howto.1572/

exec likes this.
  8. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cheers guys. For the most part I do almost all of my diy on the street. But it's rusty bolts and the fact that if they snap it's gonna need drilling out etc, that said there is an accord in my local scrappy I could practice on.

I just don't like mucking about with certain things. Fuel lines being one I am nervous about. Brake lines also. But change calipers and bleeding brakes seems to be no problem, weirdly

exec likes this.
  9. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just got a call back from JT Hughes Oswestry (which are closing in 2 weeks) £127 for the filter to be changed.

This is a little more than I thought, but then again it's dealer price and genuine parts. I may even get the part from HH and get my local mechanic to fit it.

10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Lol at £127, you are better off buying the part and getting a mechanic to fit it for a tenner or so.

Harvey likes this.