Electrical & Lights Changing odometer

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by SimonUK, Monday 4th Feb, 2013.

1. SimonUK Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

New to this forum but have quite a bit of experience with my Honda Accord 1999

I've owned my Accord for over 10 years now and the mileage is 236k. My car has been an absolute gem. The only thing that it's let me down was the Honda battery which failed at 200k. It still has the original exhaust! It may not look exciting but is the best car i think i'll ever own for reliability and i've serviced it since i brought it! Plus it is in pretty mint condition with no wear or tear showing :Smile:

Anyway, i have replacement dials on the way (next few days) as mine have been having issues for the last few weeks. Basically my rev counter needle dosn't move, the speedo dial goes mental and the odometer reading keeps changing (not the actual 236k miles, the bit above where you can zero). Anyway i have the dashboard completely apart and have the dials out ready to change. However i know the new dials will have a lower mileage than what the car has done and i want to have the dials showing the correct mileage. So how do i change over the odometer module. I've taken the dials apart and am simply left with the circuit board attached to the dials but for the life of cannot get it apart. Unless of course the mileage is stored in the ECU, in which case hooray!

Most people would be asking this to lower the mileage but i do not want to do that. 1 because i would to see my car hit the 250k mark and secondly i will never sell the car. People don't buy cars on with that mileage, they're to scared!

Hopefully someone can help me

Thanks
    Simon

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hi Simon, welcome to AOC.

Sounds like you need the services of a mileage correction company. There should be some in Suffolk, have a Google for them. I have no idea how much they would charge though.

Let us know what you find out and what you end up doing :Smile:

3. SimonUK Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi

Thanks for your email

I have 2 friends in the trade, i wonder if they can help me............

I changed the odometer on my wife's Peugeot 206 no problem so i was hoping this would be the same. But then it was a Peugeot!

I'll let you know how i get on.

Cheers
    Simon

4. n3utr1n0 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    i think the odometer it s just a display , the computer gives the mileage not the display so the new display should show whatever the computer tells it to show. (actual miles)

5. SimonUK Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for your reply. Hopefully that will be the case and i'll be happy. Once i have plugged in the new dials i'll let you all know how i get on

Cheers

6. scottray Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ohio
    There is a way to fix this without swaping the whole cluster. There should be an individual board directlyy on the back of the speedo. If you can just change that it will take care of your problem and save you alot of time and money

7. SimonUK Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Scottray

Thats the problem, i can't seem to be able to remove the final back board. If i could, then i could possibly change over the odometer and then the mileage on my new dials will read correctly :Smile:

Thanks

8. scottray Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ohio
    Maybe the clusters over there in the uk are made differently than here in the us.
    Sorry i tried

9. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    I know how it works with the more recent cars: you connect the HDS, go to the section 'change meters' (or so) and you store the actual reading in the HDS. Than you can swap the dashboard and you 'insert' the original reading back with HDS.
    I can not confirm it is the same procedure for older models.

10. SimonUK Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi guys

Just an update for you...

I managed to strip my dashboard right down so i could see Odometer (You remove the main speedo dial) but it appeared to be soldered onto the circuit board, which is where i believe the problem is, so i couldn't remove it :Frown:

However I changed over the dashboard to the new Type-R one that i purchased (changing a few bulbs in the process) which looks cool :Smile: My wife thinks i'm reliving my youth i think! Unless i pay some money to someone then i'll just have to accept the mileage that the clock shows. However i have wrote down the mileage so i know when my car will truly hit 250k.

If anyone can assist further then great otherwise i'll just stick to what i have got

Thanks
    Simon