General Changing oil viscosity and HAMP oil filter size?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by exec, Wednesday 15th Apr, 2015.

1. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Got two quick questions, for my service I am thinking of changing the oil grade from the original Honda recommendation of 10/40 which is semi synth to a fully synth 5/40, so my question is do I need to flush the engine to fully rid of the old oil grade or would just the usual oil drain suffice? Also any recommendation for 5/40 oil? I usually use the Castrol Magnatec series, but looking at some of the more fancy and expensive stuff like Castrol Edge, Motul, Fuchs oil etc? Are they just snake oil?

Second questions is I also want to try the HAMP oil filter, does anyone know what the wrench size for this is? I have the wrench socket for the OEM Honda oil filters, but not sure if this will work with the HAMP one.

Cheers :Hey:

2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I went from 5w 40 to 0w 20 and i did not flush anything.
    Just changed the oil.

Fuchs 5w 40 i have been using for last 3 or 4 years and was recommended to me by opie oils and CJ and that was good enough for me.I suppose you could use any 5w 40 as long as it meet the spec etc.

No idea on oil filter question.

exec likes this.
  3. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Flushing won't get rid of the old oil. In fact, you still end up retaining some of the old oil, but now its mixed with the flushing oil and is therefore far nastier!

exec likes this.
  4. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    ^ good point, seems totally pointless than. Just checked the prices for the Fuchs and it is £52 :shock: will probably just buy the cheap castrol edge and see if the cars like the thinner oil first.

Also doing some searching of the HAMP filter, looks like it is the same 65mm as the standard OEM one.

5. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Out of interest, why do you want to put a HAMP oil filter on?

It's basically Hondas budget parts line. In the same way that Renault also sell their Motroil budget parts.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Hondas own 5w40 is only about £30 for 4 litres. That's what I use in my ATR.

exec likes this.
  6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Good question, mainly just to try it out, because it is actually supposed to be a higher quality part then the original one and its not a budget line product, it has better filtration and more importantly a spring like thing that creates a more consistent flow of oil and on the shortie model which is made by Spoon it increases oil pressure. It probably won't do a whole lot on my motor but no harm in trying since it is the same price as a standard filter.

As for the oil the only problem with buying from Honda is its a bit of a faff getting hold of their items and then I can't just drop in a shop and buy a 1 litre top up, whereas with the Castrol for example I can just buy it all online and have it delivered to my work place or a relatives as no one one is around my house on weekdays or just drop in my local branch and pick it up, whereas with Honda I have to call up Holdcroft, order by phone and gamble on when it will arrive and have to take day off from work just for a delivery.

7. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Don't Holdcroft do free delivery?

8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Yes.

9. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm very interested to see how this pans out for you @exec.

10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Will let you know how I get on, ordered spark plugs so I'm going to do the Valve clearancesand change the sparkies first, gives me time to choose what oil to use, tempted to try the Fuchs Titan, but that price tag....:Ermm:

11. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Looking at some of these top end oils, is there any real benefit in using oil that is ester based? They are at least £20 more than the standard fully synth oil.

12. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    So I got a reply back from OpieOil.

This is what they said:

So will be ordering the Shell Helix Ultra 5/40 oil and the HAMP shortie oil filter. Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 fully synthetic engine oil - Recommended by Ferrari

Decided the FUCHS would be too expensive and not worth it, especially if I decide to chop the car in.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  13. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Just want to update on this.

Changed the oil and oil filter today. Instant difference. The fully synth oil has quietened the engine, very noticeable difference, and the fresh oil and new filter has made the car smooth again and pick up is great, VTEC is just a joy, always puts a :Grin: on your face.

Lets see how the oil performs over a couple of months. I think I might start changing the oil more often if I can be bothered as it makes a huge difference, the old oil was around 2 years and 4,000 mile old, which is below the service schedule in miles, but not years, and it was very dark and black.

14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

It would be a good idea to change it again soon. i.e. Use this oil to flush out the old black oil.

15. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Is that even possible, after two years I still try and start the car while the engine is running!

That's good to hear though, I'm definitely considering doing the same come service time.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Last two times I've changed the oil 5k/12months, the oil has come out pretty dark and in both instances I had to fill it up after 8 months with a litre.

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Poor starter motor !:crazyeyes:

17. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Is that to get rid of any of the remaining old oil? I should of used the suction pump tool to do that, didn't occur to me at the time!

Mine was running tappety and a bit rough, it needs the VC doing too, but I noticed immediate difference after the oil change, its gone back to how it should be which is virtually silent!

I think I will defo start doing it once a year now, its easy to forget how sweet they run with fresh oil when you don't change as often/

18. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Yup. Each change will reduce it a little more. :Wink:

exec likes this.