ICE & HFT Changing rear speakers

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Mazeyshane, Tuesday 8th Mar, 2016.

1. Mazeyshane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have had a look at my rear speakers but i thought they was 6x9 so come to change them and they are not the right ones, what speakers are for the rears and do i need an adaptor to fit aftermarket ones orsomet?
    Thanks
    Shane

2. jostree Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Portugal jostree Lisboa
    The rear speakers are 16cmx16cm but you have to pay attention to the depth of the speakers if they are to deep you have to buy adaptors.

Nighthawk and SpeedyGee like this.
  3. Mazeyshane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

But the stock speakers only have 3 screw holes tho? After markets have 4 so how will i mount them in the back?

4. jostree Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Portugal jostree Lisboa
    The after market speakers have 4 holes but you use only 3 it´s enough.

5. Mazeyshane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok mate cheers, which ones would be the best ones?

6. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You can buy adapters on ebay for the Honda Accord 6th Generation, Click here
    The speakers as already said are 16.5cm or 5 1/2 inches

Depending on your preference you could locate a set of used Bose speakers that where fitted to Executive models as standard equipment and I will certainly say they are very good (I've got some fitted to my car all around) they are the same size front and back and will be the same 3 screw pattern.

Also I believe JBL and Infinity sell speakers with an adapter ring in which the speakers can be made to fit the 3 screw pattern of the Accord without the need for adapter rings.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  7. Mazeyshane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok mate thanks alot, will keep an eye out :Smile: cheers

8. Mazeyshane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

16.5cm makes the speakers 6.5 inches, so are they 6.5 inch or 5 1/2 inch?
    Just need get this cleared up beforw i order some thanks

9. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    I'm pretty sure the standard ones are 6.5 inch,,, if you put your reg on lings it should tell you on there

10. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Apologies that was an error in my part (typo) 6 1/2 inch mate.

11. Mazeyshane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok cheers for clearing that up :Smile: will get some ordered :Smile: thanks again :Smile:

12. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

How is it going? I was under the impression that our doors could only take 5 1/4 inch speakers but hopefully the 6 do work.

Also feel free to take a look at this guide, Upgrading door speakers (Non-Bose systems) (Guides - )

13. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@Chunkylover53 16cm is the stock speaker size for our doors. You can get speaker adapters on ebay that will replace the stock baffle so that ordinary 4 screw hole speakers will fit. However jbl and infinity speakers at least used to come with a metal adapter ring.

14. Mazeyshane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not ordered any yet, have waot for pay day as most of my money went out :Frown: so hopefully ordering them soon, gona service car as more important but gona order the adaptors then get some speakers. Just hope the 6" ones are right

15. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mine are definitely 5 1/4, I remember buying 6 inch ones in error and finding out that they would not fit after which I checked lings which made it clear.

I'm guessing that 6 inch speakers are another little improvement for Accords from 00 onwards :Smile:

16. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

upload_2016-3-27_20-0-56.

just thought I would share. Deffo 16cm for my 2000 model.

17. Mazeyshane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ivw only got 4 speakers, 2 in the front door and 2 in parcel shelf, so are they definitely 6" or 6.5" cos i really need know before i order them, think ill order the adapters then nip halfords and see which ones fit haha, want some sony ones and found some just need know what size i need because i dno how deep they need be for parcel shelf either

18. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I don't think it matters for the parcel shelf how deep they are, but it does for the doors, as they cannot be deeper than the baffles as it might hit the window regulator on the way down. Like I said JBL and Infinity, both owned I think by Harmon Karddon used to include adapter rings for their speakers and to be honest will more than likely sound better than the Sony units your looking at.

19. Mazeyshane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok mate cheers for that :Smile: ill look at some jbl and infinity ones, was just thinking sony because i have a sony headunit mate, thanks again :Smile:

20. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Had a quick look and the infinity speakers still come with speaker rings, so you can use the oe honda baffles and an adapter ring. Hopefully it won't push the speaker into the door card too much.