Electrical & Lights Changing the H1 (Main beam) bulbs

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Grahame_E, Saturday 22nd Sep, 2012.

1. Grahame_E Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I got my 2008 ES GT yesterday and I love it.

I have a couple of Osram Nightbreaker H1 bulbs I retrieved from my old car before I p/x'd it.

I want to put them in my accord as I live in a rural area and some of the roads are dark and poorly lit so a brighter high beam is essential for me.

I had a quick look at the back of the headlamp units and it looks like the original bulbs twist and pull out but after trying there didn't seem to be a great deal of movement as I twisted the bulb holder.

I didn't want to force them and risk breaking them so thought I'd seek advice/assistance here.

Can anyone advise please. I did a search on this site but only found reference to bulbs on the 7th Generation model which I assume would be a different headlamp set up.

Thanks

Grahame

2. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have Xenons so not sure what your set up looks like.

That said, if you have a look in the Accord handbook, at the rear there is a section on maintenance and step by step guides on how to change light bulbs. That would be your best bet for the interim, unless CJ or another non-Xenon powered Accord member can assist?

3. Grahame_E Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks SajA,

I'll take a look at the handbook tomorrow, see if I can find instructions in there.

4. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Have a look under the "Maintenance" section, should almost certainly be in there :Smile:

5. bobbybliss Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Netherlands Rob Heerhugowaard
    I'm not sure if you have succeded in changing the bulbs, but I found it to be impossible to follow the instructions in the manual. I took it to the dealers, who removed the front bumper in order to change the bulbs. This car was designed for HIDs.

edit: Also, if you unscrew the protective cover, use some grease to make sure it will come off beter in the future.

Last edited: Thursday 4th Oct, 2012
  6. Grahame_E Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Bobbybliss,

Thanks for your reply. I have since managed to get the high beam bulbs out of my car but I didn't need to take off the bumper but having said that mine doesn't have the HID bulbs so is probably different.

However when I took the high beam bulbs out expecting them to be H1's as per info from AutobulbsDirect based on the year/make/style of my Accord but the H1 Osram Nightbreaker bulbs I already have (and was going to install) are not the same as the bulbs already in the car so I have no idea what the bulbs are in mine.

I'm going to ask my dealer if they can tell me.

7. bobbybliss Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Netherlands Rob Heerhugowaard
    Ahh, main (high) beam. I was referring to the dipped beam. This is so confusing...

Main beam uses HB3 not H1.

Ichiban likes this.
  8. Grahame_E Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ahh, that explains the very obvious mismatch of the H1's I'd planned to install. Obviously some duff info on the Autobulbs web site then. No idea why they state the main beams are H1.

At least I know now and can look for HB3's with a brighter light output.

Thanks

9. Denso23 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Denso23 London
    One of my headlights needs replacement, can anyone advise if this car (Ex) has HID bulb as standard? Would Holdcroft be the best place to get a replacement bulb?

10. julekasMobilek Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lithuania Julius Vilnius
    All executives should be with HID headlamps.

HID should be glow pure white-ish to blue-ish color... All other halogen bulbs emits yellow light.
    HID when cold should light up as blue, then in the matter of seconds should go white.
    HID lamps must have headlight washer system and auto headlight leveling system (you will not have headlight level knob near the steering wheel).

Best way to tell when high beam and main beam are ON at the same time, if the light is different, so main beam is HIDs, otherwise is halogen bulb.

Denso23 likes this.
  11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:begdiffer: :begdiffer: :begdiffer:

Standard UK spec EX have halogens, not HID.
    HID are an optional extra at time of order/build.

Correct :Thumbup:

Ichiban and julekasMobilek like this.
  12. Smokingman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Lincoln
    My EX has halogens, miss my HID's of my previous car.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @Denso23 give your VIN to HH and they will look it up if your car has HID or candle powered halogens. UK had both dependent if it was PFL or Facelift cars with and without ADAS.

Its all over the shop, the easiest way to find out is park your car in front of wall , turn on the headlights if the low beam are to full strength the minute you turn on they are halogens. if the flicker slightly on start up and brighten up then they are HIDs.

14. Denso23 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Denso23 London
    Thanks Ichiban, the car does have Normal Halogen lights, i thought they were HID as they light output was quite good...!

I got the H1 bulb but i found the access very difficult. My car is now in the garage gettting some paintwork repaired and Honda Chiswick have kindly included replacement of the headbulb at a very small extra cost.

You don't really get this support from a normal garage do you? Was really hesitant of using main dealer before but not anymore - got to find the right one i guess

Ichiban and legend-ary like this.
  15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds