Tyres & Wheels Changing the rims size / Winter tyres

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by j b l, Saturday 24th Oct, 2015.

1. j b l Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi team,

Christmas in the French Ardennes plus at least 2 trips a year to the Alps, I've always fitted winter tyres to my cars. This being my first ever 4x4 and Honda CR-V, I wanted to tap your knowledge with a simple question: can I fit smaller size wheels on my CR-V which normally runs on the regular 18"?
    I am tempted to purchase some old gen 2 15 or 16". Am I right to assume that as long as they are 5 studs I'll be okay and it won't affect anything drastically?

Thanks for your help.

John

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    What spec or CR-V MTOC do you have?. You want to look for 15 hitting the callipers and CR-V being a 4x4 smaller wheels will not be able to support the weight of the car as you need a larger diameter and side wall.

3. j b l Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It'a 2010 ex-t on 18".

Thanks

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @j b l I think you will get away with 16" but do a dummy run on the fronts to check for clearance.

You can't to check full locks and calliper interference, don't double up on stick back wheel weights that will make the problem worse.

5. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm just interested to know why you want to change rim size? What advantage would there be in running smaller dia wheels?

6. j b l Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Availability of older gen 1 and 2 CR-V wheels is higher, however, it now seems the PCDs aren't quite correct.
    Winter tyres are also slightly cheaper the smaller the diameter.

I have found steel wheels in 17 and I reckon that's what I'll go with now.