Electrical & Lights Changing to LED lights - Bulb types and LED's used.

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Doc, Friday 17th Jan, 2014.

1. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I've been thinking for a while now about changing my side lights and rear lights to LED's. Then possibly the interior as well.

Now I know this subject has been mentioned before as some members have done the odd bulb here and there but there doesn't seem to be much information about 7th Generation bulb types to do a LED conversion, interior or exterior, or just to replace the existing bulbs. So I thought I'd start this thread firstly so people can create a definitive list of all the cars bulb types and secondly so everyone can share the make of LED's they've used.

Over to you....

2. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    All the bulbs are listed in my thread in 7th Generation - first page i think

3. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Pete can you put a link in to it as I can't find the thread. Thanks.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  5. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Cheers I id a search but I didn't come up with anything.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You going the whole hog Doc or little by little approach.

7. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I'd like to get the side lights and all rear lights done as a priority. But I'll likely leave the indicators though as that involves wiring in a resistor. The interior lights will probably be more little by little.

I just need ideas on what design of LED bulb to get which will be the brightest.

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    If you check my project thread, I brought a complete set for the interior (doors, map, center, boot). Took all of 10 minutes to install them all.

The side lights are the biggest pain of all bulbs repalcements as you really need to either remove the headlights themselves or the wings to get side access to the housing. You might fair better, but I had no chance of getting my hands in there without removing things.

Number plate LEDs are a bit of a bugger to get the housing out and swap bulbs, took me 15-20 minutes to finally do it. You can buy pre-made LED units like CJ recently brought instead.

For the rear set, mine are all still halogen, but I've heard that white LEDs look crap because of the red housing and it's best to go for red/orange bulbs.

Last edited: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
    Doc likes this.
  9. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    I got the same set last week from DDs eBay link and fitted them yesterday, as above easy to fit and well worth it IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
    DeviateDefiant likes this.
  10. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Cheers DD. I saw your fog lights which is what got me started wanting to do them. Think I'll get a pair of them as they do look bright. i didn't think the LED's would be powerful enough to do the job for the fog lights. I'll get a set of your interior lights as well as they look like they do a good job.

I've replaced my side lights before (just for standard bulbs) and had to go in through the wheel arch and skinned my forearms in the process.

I've also had the number plate lights out several times doing my reverse camera install so I can have them out in 5 mins. LOL

I've seen a while ago on a different site people using coloured LED's in the rear which looked a lot better than just white so that's what I was leaning to. Plus that will allow me to change the rear light cluster.

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Sounds good mate, think we've got a small LED revolution going on.

I'd be interested to see what the results are, I'm slowly getting that itch where I can't leave anything unmodified on my car :Whistle:

:Rolf:

12. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    So when looking at the rear brake lights how can I tell which will be the brightest? Does the wattage make a difference or does that have to be the same as the original halogen bulbs.

13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

The wattage will give you a good indication, but it also tends on the type and amount of LEDs used which make up that wattage.

I know that most bulbs use SMD (Surface Mounted) LEDs, the 5050 for example is very popular on T10 bulbs (our numberplate, sidelights etc.). They tend to use 5 in total with one on each exposed surface (top, 4 sides), and are quite well known for being good in areas with high ambient light. 3528 SMDs have a reputation for poor light output and being really cheap, you can find as many as 120 of them on a H1 LED bulb, but they're not that bright at all.

That's about the extent of my LED knowledge, but "Cree" bulbs are often touted as the best for headlights and that's what my fog-lights use.

Very loose guide as it's LED chip dependant, multiple the LED wattage by 10 and that's a rough halogen equivalent; but the further you are away from 4300 kelvin, the less output you get for that wattage. 10 watts of 5050 LEDs at 4300k will be a lot brighter than 10 watts at 8000k, that's to do with LEDs being made of RGB clusters and the way the human eye perceives them.

That's my limited understanding which might help a bit, someone may care to correct or elaborate.

Phil1978, PeteMM and Doc like this.
  14. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Cheers that gives me a fair bit to go on. I'll take a look on fleabay and get a few ideas. :Thumbup:

DeviateDefiant likes this.