Electrical & Lights Charging Fault

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Simes, Thursday 7th Jan, 2016.

1. Simes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've bought myself a new toy, a 2.4 tourer, with an existing fault of not charging.

A new alternator and battery have been fitted by the previous owner, but with no joy.

The charging light on the dash goes out as normal.

Anyone got any suggestions where to look first?

Cheers, Simon.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Are you sure it's a charging issue and not a battery drain issue ?

What steps have been taken so far to diagnose the issue ?

hondream likes this.
  3. Simes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Only bought it yesterday, so still running on the charged battery, but dropped in to a pal at KwikFit and he put his diagnostic m/c on the battery which confirmed it wasn't charging.

Off skiing tomorrow for a week, so will be parked at Stansted, I'll take a spare charged battery and dig deeper when I get back.

Next door neighbour RAC tech suggested a relay might be u/s.

As an aside the car had been parked on a SORN for a year, flew through it's MOT today, brakes "as good as a brand new VW", CO emissions 0.01, just a couple of number plate bulbs out, and a front sidelight which just needed a thump- love the Honda build quality!

4. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    A complete shot in the dark but is there any possibility that the electrical load detector (ELD) might be faulty?

5. Simes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the suggestion, what is an ELD and what does it look like?

I pulled and re-inserted all fuses and relays I could see in a bit of a rush before packing for my hols, stuck my multi-meter on and it appears to be charging.

Whether it is an intermittent fault or I've fluked it remains to be seen.

6. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Its a gizmo in the fuse block that detects the difference in load and battery to reduce alternator output to save fuel. Doesn't usually go but reading elsewhere can cause charging issues when faulty. Some of the more informed folks around here might be able to describe in better detail or give suggestions on how to troubleshoot. Found this diagram if it is of any help TSXalt.jpg Photo by redpoint | Photobucket

7. Simes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Excellent thx, will check it out when I get home.