Engine & Gearbox Check engine light comes on at high speeds

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Stephane, Wednesday 12th Jun, 2013.

1. Stephane Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello,

I have my 2009 Accord I-DTEC now for 2.5 years and it has some fault.
    Every time the engine has to give full power for a long time, the check engine light comes on and it goes into limp home mode.
    Turning of and on the ignition will cure the limp home mode, but the light will stay on.
    It only happens at speeds higher then 185kph or when towing a trailer up a steep hill.
    Obviously I do not encounter the conditions on a daily base so it took a while to encounter the problem for the first time.
    I went to the Honda dealer and they told me the first time that it was something with the turbo but the error only occured once so it wasn't alarming.
    A few months later, same condtitions, same problem. I once again went to the dealer and they have replaced "a valve near the turbo" under warranty. (turbo wastegate I pressume??)
    A few months later, well you've guessed it... Back to the dealer. They told me they have done everything they could do except replace the turbo. This would cost me 2500Euro and it isn't warranty anymore now.
    What are you ideas on this?
    thanks

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    High speed run or heavy loading conditions could be also attributed to a fuel starvation . I take they have changed the fuel filter done a test on the fuel pump and injectors?

As for turbo it could be it but need to know what they have changed and or what DTC is stored.

3. Stephane Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have contacted the garage and they will check it in their computer. I will revert shortly.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Any news from the garage bud?

5. Stephane Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes, the error code that keeps popping up is P00AF. Whilst I had them on the phone they told me that in order to fix it they have to run some tests, however they could not tell wich tests. They had to contact Honda first.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    DTC P00AF: relates to Turbocharger Boost Control Incorrect Position. I would assume they have already changed the Turbocharger Boost Control Solenoid Valve as shown in this image. It can be found under the engine cover. They can also perfome the on off test via HDS to test it thoroughly need to know if that is repeatedly failing after the new part?

Turbocharger Boost Control Solenoid Valve.JPG

Has the dealer done all the software upgraded on the car ? if they have already engaged Honda with a data capture of your car then someone will be evaluating the cars data for the next step.

7. Stephane Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

They have indeed installed new software a little more than a year ago. After the update it also started to eat oil. I have to add 1 liter every 8000km. The said it's because now no diesel is being mixed in the oil and that it's normal.
    The Turbocharger Boost Control Solenoid Valve will probably be what they have replaced without succes.
    If it might really be a problem with the turbo or some valve, why don't I have issues at normal speeds? From standstill to 180kph at full throttle is no problem at all.
    The power output is still ok, I can easily do +200kph(until the error occurs that is).
    If the only solution is to replace the turbo I might just have to behave and stay below 180. No more trips through Germany then.... :Frown:
    Apart from all this I still love driving my Accord!

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup that would have been the safety recall http://hondakarma.com/threads/27/ but there have been other software updates after that too.

you have had your car remapped ?

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  9. Stephane Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No, havn't had it remapped. And indeed now it doesn't increase anymore but it decreases, hoeray...:Smile:

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good you haven't had it remapped you will get help from Honda on all level then, your dealer should have the MVCI plus HDS albeit with the latest software version. That should pick up the ECU code and automatically prompt the technician there are outstanding software updates.

yeah that oil increase is a very dangerous scenario you don't want that scenario in any Honda diesel car and especially when you do high speed runs.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Stephane anymore news on this?

12. Stephane Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No, I will have it checked when I take it in for a service I think. Under normal driving conditions there isn't any problem.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thanks bud.