Engine & Gearbox Check engine light, with speed limited to 300rpm

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by hsyasin, Monday 27th Oct, 2014.

1. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Hammad Bury St. Edmunds
    Hi chaps,
    so we set out on a 3days holiday to peak district to look around. While driving through sheffield, have to say saw quite a few pretty Accords there in barnsley:brunette:. Anyways, covered all 150 miles to shefflied without any hiccups and while was driving through barnsley, was driving at 50mph with RPM around 2500, i think i heard some sort of very light rattling from the engine, I might be mistaken on the rattling part, but then to my horror suddenly that orange check engine light came on:shock:.
    I never thought i would see that sort of engine management/check engine light in my life, as i like to keep my car in top notch state, atleast mechanically.
    So, on our way to hotel, we went to asda in Chapeltown, as usual wifey forgot some things at home and, they take their looks very seriously these women, so had to first go their instead of the hotel after a nearly 200mile journey:overtired:.
    So, while the wife was shopping at asda, what i did was i got out opened the bonet, check the air filter for any bockage, checked engine oil which was spot on and disconnected the battery for a 10mins, then did the idle learn procedure and saw the light gone:happycrying::Happy:.
    But then, later that day, while we were driving to a spot in peak district and i was driving in the same sort of mph range with 2500rpm the light came on again with RPM restricted to 3000rpm:no:. And then again after doing an ECU reset it went away.
    Oh, and i just recently changed the petrol fuel filter last weekend.
    So what could it be guys?:Unknown:
    :SOS:

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    can't answer your question directly, there are others here more qualified with your petrol engine than me, but let me say, congratulations on making the right decision in regards to the missus - last thing we want to do is upset them after a long journey, saved yourself some grief there. :Laughing:

As for your car, which won't moan if it doesnt look pristine, it sounds to me like a dirty sensor, but as I said, there will be others here better qualified than me to diagnose it better.

dbrooks65 likes this.
  3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Without knowing what the code is we would only be guessing mate.

Get the code read mate, lets see what the Horse is unhappy about.

4. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    @hsyasin - I have a spare OBD reader that I could send you if you want to read the error code (save you taking it to the garage). I can't guarantee it will work, as it is a cheap clone, but it has worked for me in the past. If you want to give it a try (you will need an Android phone and some software such as Torque Pro or Dash Command - no idea if it works with Apple *spit* devices).

If you want to give it a go, PM me your postal details and I'll be happy to send it to you. I also don't mind driving a few miles out of Oxford to meet you somewhere if you'd rather collect it in person.

hsyasin and Nighthawk like this.
  5. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

@RogerH69 Thanks alot mate, I've been thinking about the same thing, i.e, to buy of of those bluetooth ones that work with android phones. But didn't know which one to buy and how much they cost, wish i lived closer, would've driven to u to pick it up.
    Anyways, an update, after that check engine light thing that happened on my way to barnsley and after me erasing. The car has done really well, I mean I met my friend there and then my and his family took off to see some spots that day, with the car fully loaded and boot fully packed, and all spots that we went to were at some steep heights. So later that night, on our way back and in the middle of no where on pitch black road, saw that light come up again while driving up hill and that scared me as all of us were in my car, she kept driving but limited to 3000rpm but i pulled to the side and gave it an ECU reset and all fine and dandy.
    and then the next day, same way, all packed up in my car with boot fully loaded, went to seom more spots, and drove up to some seriously steep hills and nothing wrong, she kept running strong, and then same thing next day, without any hiccups and then we drove all the way home today, nearly 200miles back and nothing wrong at all.
    I mean hats off to these japs for making such a reliable piece of kit and adding luxury to it :Hey::Hooray::GoodJob:
    - - - Updated - - -
    I don't think I'll ever be able to go for any thing other than a japanese...:brunette:
    I just laugh at myself thinking that I really wanted to buy an audi or jag when i was looking to change my mitsu:Rolf:

6. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Good to hear the car is working, but if it was me, I'd prefer to get an error code reading if it happens again.

Either way, the offer stands still, so just let me know if you need to use the OBD Reader. This applies to anyone else reading this. as well.

So you know, they range in price from about £10 to over £100 or even £200, depending on the manufacturer and the accessories / software it comes with. The spare one I have is one of these and cost about £10. It's a cheap clone with a dummy Bluetooth MAC address (common on the cheap OBD clones) but it does the basic job.

hsyasin likes this.
  7. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thanks roger, I was thinking, if it works on urs, then surely it should work on mine or does accord use a different software:Unknown:
    Also, if i connect the reader in the state that my car is now i.e, not showing any warning at the moment, will i get a fault read back anyways?

8. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

If you connect it with no warning lights, it shouldn't return any codes, unless there are faults present that are not indicated by warning lights.

You would think that if it works on one car, it would work on another, but that's not the case unfortunately. I would say however, that if it works on one modern Honda,. it should work on other modern Hondas.

You could always come up to the meet in November, and I'll have both of my OBD readers with me (I'm sure other people attending may have even better diagnostic equipment, but I wouldn't want to commit any of them to bringing it along). Maybe the drive up would cause the light to come on again, but it's really not a good idea to actively attempt to cause a warning light to come on.

I was actually thinking of suggesting that I could send you the spare OBD reader, and you could keep it for a week or two, so that if the light comes on again, you have the OBD reader at hand to check the codes.

hsyasin likes this.
  9. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cheers pal:Friends:, that would be absolutely great, I'll PM u my address

10. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Cool. I'll send it off today (it's in my car)

Nighthawk likes this.
  11. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Sent off. It should arrive tomorrow. Keep us updated on how it goes with the OBD reader.

hsyasin likes this.
  12. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I thought it stored the codes until they are erased? My Accord certainly did have a list of codes last time I plugged into it from when I forgot to connect something back up after changing Fuel Filter. I also had an intermittent flashing glow plug and even after light had gone off I could still read the codes.

Shame I never saw this earlier I could have read the codes for you as I'm in Barnsley!

RogerH69 and hsyasin like this.
  13. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Good to know it stores codes. However, if @hsyasin is doing an ECU reset , won't this reset the stored codes ?

14. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not sure I can't be 100% but I think the only way to erase stored codes is through a code reader or HDS.

15. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

NOoooooooooo, should've known:brickwall:
    Would've been great to meet u

16. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah nightmare I've week off work too!

17. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Anyways, @Dave , Barnsley is a lovely place man, I loved it there, all those steep hills and all
    ur living in heaven :angelic:
    - - - Updated - - -
    sorry but I've to do this, :telloff:
    - - - Updated - - -
    nah just kidding, :Pathead:

18. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

got the reader from @RogerH69, :Hey: to him for sending it so quickly that it made my head spin, plus reader was packaged quite well:Thumbup:
    Anyways, connected it to the OBD reader (grey harness, on the right side under steering wheel), installed torque (free version), turned the ignition on, and paired the reader on my phone (pin code 1234), launched the app and low and behold no logged faults, no historic faults, no faults at all :dance:
    But in a way that is annoying, as I really wanna know what caused the engine management light to come on:Ermm::Unknown:.

Again thanks to @RogerH69 as he's asked me to keep the reader for a little while, to see if the light comes on again, cheers mate:GiveRose:. But I gotta tell ya, the she is running strong as a horse:biceps:

19. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Glad to hear you got it ok. It could be a code related to yr SRS or ABS etc. Generic code pullers only read on a basic level and won't pull all error codes