Off-Topic Check out my new motor.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by RobB, Wednesday 14th Mar, 2012.

1. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

And it's a Honda.

Attached Files:

Ichiban likes this.
  2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What a stunning looking motor.Is that V6:Whistle:

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    HRG465SD I presume :Wink: Mine is 9 year old still running the original cables never ever lets me down the blade has been changed once.

The cut you get from them is superb. what height and method do you use to cut lawns ?

I run the engine at 3/4 speed and then crawl with the clutch at biting point at a snail pace that ensure I get a uniform cut, may get a mulchure after seeing it on the Gadget show

4. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

5. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

How often do you service it?

6. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah it's a HRG465SD. I tend to cut my grass at about 1inch height. The ground round here is very dry, due to trees, so the higher cut makes the grass healthier.
    It's true the slower you go the better the cut, problem is depends on the size of the garden. Too big and it takes ages.

7. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Forgot to say the blades a funky design to.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The only maintenance it needs is a wash once a year , lubricate the cables every three months and before layup for the winters.

Runs on VPP hardly any carbon on the piston crown so no need for decarbonising , oil change after two full tanks of petrol are finished.

Tap the airfilter off to shake off any dust after each use.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Cheers Rob good tips.

Mine is a small patch so it take a good 20 minutes to cut clean and store away. I fold up my lawnmower after every use , if you didn't I would reckon the cables will last forever.

my tip don't fold it but if space is limited you have to.

10. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You're right about the cables,I've damaged cables on other mowers folding them up. But Honda has designed these to flex out the way when you fold the handles.

11. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

How many oil changes a year is that?

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    lost count bud lubetech 5w-40 and left over silkolene from car servicing does it.

13. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Mine has got a Briggs & Stratton engine...I just service it once a year and it's still going strong after 9 years...starts first time without fail...so I just keep going with it as I can always think of better ways of spending a few hundred squid!

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    B&S engine are robust but a bit on the agricultural side :Grin: in engine vibration. I am going to run mine to the ground, but it needs new cables and and a level handle. If Honda have a good offer this summer I will be trading it in.

15. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Yep that's true, it's a bit of a boneshaker.

16. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Can't believe there's this much discussion and maintenance for a lawnmower. We've got an electric one. Bosch Rotrak??? I think. It was cheap as chips, weighs nothing and stows easily with no oil changes required. My folks used to have an old petrol mower but only because their garden was huge.