Electrical & Lights Check System & Battery light on

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by StuH, Friday 2nd Sep, 2016.

1. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    I'm guessing it's electrical; just started the car, I've got a 'Check System' message on the screen between the dials and the red battery light is staying on, I've also got a whining noise from the left hand side of the engine. I'm thinking alternator,not sure what else? I need to get it home, about 10 mins, should I risk it or get the AA to recover it?
    - - - Updated - - -
    No codes.

2. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

Alternator is red hot. Guess that's the culprit then!

Nighthawk likes this.
  3. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Easy diagnosis !

4. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

Yep. Given how hot it got after a short journey I've not moved it since, it's safe off the road. Unfortunately not been able to source a replacement before Monday.

5. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

Absolutely poured down today but tried to get at least the alternator out when the rain eased, sadly it eased for about 5 mins before chucking it down again. I did stay out long enough to get frustrated with the two bottom bolts:

alternator.

I just could not get anything to get a purchase on that right hand bolt; a socket was hitting the cast pipe in the middle, any sort of extension would hit the fan. I've been out and bought a pretty long offset ring spanner but any ideas what else I can do? I suppose I could take the fan out but I'd like not to if possible.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  7. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

It's not so much not having the tools as I have use of a decent amount of kit, it was more a case of finding a combination that works! As it happens, tonight in the dry I got them out pretty quick. Getting that damn alternator out proved a challenge but after undoing the washer bottle (PAS res and bracket already out of the way) I found I could manoeuvre it out. Strangely the new one simply drifted in!

Anyway, problem solved. All is well again and a slightly rough idle has gone so that's an added bonus!

Nels, SpeedyGee and Nighthawk like this.
  8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Well done, good to hear it's sorted.

Yeah strange that ! You battle to get the old one out but new one just goes straight in ! LOL

I guess it's because you know the path to take it through.