Body, Paint & Styling Check your front wheel arches !!!!!!

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Rhys, Tuesday 29th Oct, 2013.

1. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Guys bit of a heads up mainly to any ATR owners but it could affect other 6th Generation models. There seems to be an area on the inner part of the wheel arches which are prone to rot which can go unnoticed as it involves taking the wheel arch lining off and it also is cover by the seal where the arch meets the body. I haven't checked under the car yet but I have checked up in the footwell behind the dash and I seem to have signs of it happening to my ATR. Also had water in the passenger footwell which led me to the information I have which was found on a different forum.

2. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I found this up behind the dash :'(

20131029_154739.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    could you take a shot of affected area from another angle if possible.

4. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

that's the best shot I could get to be honest I had to take the photo blind ! but I'm down the garage tomorrow morning having something else looked at and while the car is up on the ramp I will take the opportunity to get it looked at from the outside and take more photos.

5. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

This was found on one of the members ATR's after checking.

Screenshot_2013-10-29-22-48-57.

6. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

And this is the original photo that made everyone aware of the problem.

Screenshot_2013-10-29-22-49-17.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I could be wrong but that sort of rot does not happen overnight and the way its rotted and cleaned for photographs would suggest there would have been caked on mud there.

Caked On mud are as bad a leaving a wet sponge 24/7 on metal.

8. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I'm not saying it just happens but it is something that can go easily missed as it is under the wheel arch lining and also covered by the seal on the seam as you can see one of the photos. if your not looking for it you won't find it.

9. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

This is what I found behind the arch lining and UNDER !!! the underseal

20131103_151452.

10. Hoho15 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That looks harsh

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

I am gobsmacked what I am seeing in the picture, but what you are seeing is a KNOWN issue on the 6th Generation rear arches. Firstly Rhys that affected area has no undersealing what you see as the layer grey\white sealant is a seam sealer. its clear to see the seam sealer HAS not been applied to the joint :Blink: this was a Honda Swindon fault of the robot applying the seam sealer two inches above the seam.

Honda did have a warranty extension it was called "Rear wheel arch extension treatment" which is no longer available. It would seem this car has never been to a Honda dealer for rectification when it was under warranty.

Not Honda fault really they did have this known to dealers for the last 14 years.

12. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

this is the front passenger side arch ! I've found out that water draining from the windscreen leaks between the seam of the arch and the bulkhead and rotts from the inside out :-(

13. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

This is what has been found on my drivers arch ! Failed MOT on this amongst other things.

Attached Files:

14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Oh mate, I feel for you, that's pretty damn bad.

Combined with the other shots earlier in the thread, it's almost looking like you're going to need to get sections cut out and sheets welded in, the sections that are still okay might want treating to prevent the problem occuring again.

Hopefully somebody more experienced knows a better solution.

15. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Nasty indeed. I need to get my liners off soon!!

What you going to do about it?

16. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Both of my arches are shot driver side being the worst. My mate is a dab hand with a welder and I've been advised to take out the bottom part of the dash out to see if there is enough space for him to work otherwise its the complete dash out which I will have to do myself as it will cost a fortune to pay someone to do. I'm hoping someone will have some pointers on how to do it as I have no idea.

17. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I can't offer you any pointers, but here's the teardown.

qb8zRjo.

18. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thank you ; ) Looks complicated lol probably best just getting stuck in and getting on with it.

19. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I've learnt to do quite a bit just from the diagrams so hopefully you'll find your pace once you get start :Thumbup:

20. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Ohh man, that looks a proper PITA. I've never had to touch the dash so can't offer any help, sorry!