Tyres & Wheels Check your Yokohamas

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by nonda, Wednesday 11th Sep, 2013.

1. nonda Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

2011 Accord - running OEM Yokohamas E70D's (Decibel). Just picked up that both rear tyres have intertread cracking. (Fine cracks running around tyre circumferance, located at base of tread pattern). Date stamp suggests they were manufactured in 2010 and have covered about 30K with about 4mm of tread left. Not readily apparent unless you jack the car up and carefully inspect the tyre tread in good light. In for new tyres pronto ! I have never experienced intertread cracking on my car tyres before.

If you are running Yokos - perhaps worthy of a close inspection, just in case.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Have the tyre pressures been correctly maintained ?

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Pictures will help to determine if it is a manufacturing fault or something else.. how much tread have you got left in the middle and the two corner?

4. nonda Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Been run at recommended 33 psi and checked regularly. No abnormal wear pattern on tread which might indicate a running fault. No vibration, and tracking checked on all 4 wheels about 12 months ago. I thought that tyres were fine and wearing well.
    Only noticed the fine cracks when taking wheels off to inspect brake discs.
    That's the main thrust of the post really - inter tread cracking might not be noticed if one just inspects tyres via a crouch down and quick look under the wheel arch. One has to have a good light and tyre in a position where it can be viewed from above e.g. car jacked up/blocked and suspension on full sag or better, wheel off the car.
    Inter tread cracking is something I will specifically check for in future, and hopefully my experience will be of use to others on the forum.
    Weather /time permitting I'll try and get a picture posted.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thanks bud, eagerly waiting for the pictures.

6. nonda Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Here you go

P1010015b.

Inter tread cracking - you are looking at those fine hairline cracks at the root of the tread groves running around the circumferance of the tyre. Predomiantly in outer two, but also evidence of some cracking on centre two groves. Not a comforting sight. Tyres now replaced with new.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Right that is a tale tell sign of the car being sat for long long period without moving! that is quite normal with the date stamp of the tyres and the mileage you have done gives you a clue to why these cracks have developed..

I have a classic honda and all four wheels are jacked up off the ground when its not use to avoid this situation .. Yokohama will point blank refuse this claim mate... sorry to be the bearer of bad news,

8. nonda Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Agree that inter tread cracking is normally associated with vehicles laid up for some considerable time, especially caravans, classics and the like. However this is a 24 month old Accord with 30K on the clock, tramping up and down the Uk motorways as a daily work hack. Hence my surprise at the cracking and suggestion to other to check - just in case.
    Also agree a warranty claim is probably a waste of time, despite Yokohama's standard warranty (USA) of life of tread or 6 years from date of manufacture, whichever comes first.
    In all other respects the Yokos are a fine tyre and all others in the past have been trouble free. In particular a rather grippy set of AO's fitted to a little Elan. Understandably, a little on the soft side and only lasted about 5k, but great fun.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    US different market bud, consumer options, rights and the sheer size of it annual trade it dwarfs the EU so they get the BEST deals on planet Earth.. apart from the Arab for petroleum Products. With the time stamp as per your first post of 2010 its a give and take 24 months its still within the window of this condition to occur.

I take it you are the second owner may be these tyres have been swapped by the dealer before you got the car or the previous owner didn't do the miles you do now.. it speculating its history without proof. I personally go through a set of tyres in 12 months all four a scrubbed to hell as I drive in a spirited manner and consume the tyre in it prime..its an expensive hobby busting diesel smug faces..someone has to do it.. LOL

Yoko's are my favourite car tyre so I may come across biased but hope others don't get put off them .. they make wicked tyres.

Good to see you have a pragmatic view of this rather than the entrenched stance you find in days of recession.

10. Oilburner26 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Surrey
    My 2009 EX I-DTEC Tourer has just been MOT'd and inspector gave me a advise note on exactly the same, my rear tyres were swapped to the front when four months ago I had fitted Michelin primacy 3 to replace the original Yokohamas E70D Decibel which were worn out at 19,000 mls, and now these original rear tyres that are now fitted on the front having a total mileage of 20,000 miles with loads of tread left on them because most of their life was on the rear wheels, will now also have to be replaced due to the cracking as in the picture already posted, as others had said its probably due to vehicle standing idle for long periods of time hence still only 20,000miles from new.

11. Footplate New Member Getting Started

Had the same thing on my 2009 Accord. Picked up at MOT with an advisory to keep an eye on them. Rears are original with 38k on them and fronts are 2 years old with 15k. All tyres affected to same degree so it may well be a tread pattern/compound issue.

12. Oilburner26 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Surrey
    Quick update my Yokohamas have now been changed to Michelin Primacy 3, and my first observations are a noticeably a lot quieter ride than previous, stopping distance on dry or wet road significantly better, and finally improved steering and traction all round as the original Yokohamas used to tramline and wander off line a bit from new, and now its perfect with no other work carried to tracking, suspension, or steering rack, hopefully they last longer than previous 20,000 miles.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I went with Primacy 3s myself just before the summer, they are around excellent tyres with only one major flaw: sidewalls are thin as hell. I've already had to replace one that burst for no reason apparent to me.

I actually chose the tyre's (and the more expensive XL version) for the specific reason that my tracking was crap despite alignments and balancing on my old tyres.

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I got Premacy 3s as well, they are a good all round tyre, done about 20k on them so far. Must have like 5-6mm tread left.

15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Weren't yours Pilot Sport 3s mate?

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I got a set of them on the rears, fronts are Premacy 3.

Once the rears wear out they will be replaced with Premacy 3's

17. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Ah, got you :Smile: