General Chipsaway scratch repair. Has anybody got any experience

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davemazo, Friday 17th Feb, 2012.

1. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Has anybody ever heard of used Chipsaway to repair small scratches and dents. I have a small scratch and dent on my rear offside door caused by the next door neighbours roof tile being blown off in the recent high winds. I was just going to use some touch up paint but think I might get it done properly.

IMAG0224.

IMAG0223.

2. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm sure it's them that Ruislip Honda use for their used cars. When I saw the guy working on them it seemed a good job.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    used Chipsaway way back in 2004 and the then repair after 2 years began to go off. they are good to hide and do a fast repair but the longevity and finish is suspect.

Infact a proper bodyshop do a better smart repair than the mobile guy but that my opinion.

4. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks CJ I was a bit worried about the long term. I know a good local bodyshop but I was a bit worried they will want to spray the whole side or at best the whole door

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    A good bodyshop will blend it in to factor in paint fade, it will never be close to the factory but you will have to be looking really hard to spot the difference.

Standing from a distance you will never know it was repainted.

6. eternal422 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just used Chipsaway about 3 weeks ago to fix a 2 inch scratch on lower rear door and also similar length scratch on wife's Mazda. Both our cars are metallic silver which is hard to colour match. The job was very good and you can't see the difference between old and new paint. Very pleased.

That said, Chipsaway is a franchise so the quality will depend on the skill of the person you get.

7. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks eternal, think I`ll get a few quotes

8. jrd Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

used them to repair some "kerbing" to an alloy wheel. made a good job of it.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That’s is very true the guy I used never masked the car off and there was overspray everywhere and I had to use claybar to remove it.

Make sure it not a windy day make sure they guy puts up a gazebo and stay well clear when he spraying the lacquer.

10. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good tips CJ!

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I suppose you learn from your mistakes , but pass on your experiences onto people to be aware of the potential grey areas.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Dave did you get the car fixed? if so lets have a look.

13. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I asked my local Chips away for a quote for a 10cm x 1cm bumper scratch, they wanted £200 to get out of bed....! I was expecting £75 max, needless to say I won't be asking them again.

Get lots of quotes, you may find its cheaper to use a bodyshop.

14. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I used EXCEL-DENTS (Bucks based) to sort a small dent without broken paint last year - very impressed, there really is no sign of anything now. And it only cost £60...

The dent was in the pillar between the rear door and the roof...I managed to dent it while leaning on it to reach the centre of the roof while waxing :Angry: Believe me, that is not a mistake I'll ever make again!!!

Agree with previous comments - as these are generally franchise operations quality of repair must largely depend on the skill and experience of the individual you get.

15. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I did CJ and I`m very happy with it.

As soon as the weather improves and I can wash the car I`ll take some pics

16. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Here you go. I gave the affected area a quick wash down for the photos.

2013-01-27140202.

2013-01-27140153.

2013-01-27140142.
    There was another area on the rear bumper on the nearside rear behind the rear wheel. The bit which folds down behind the rear wheel where i caught a low rock painted white. It was just a scrape really with some oof the white paint still on it but to do both bits of damage was £170.

Not sure if the photos do it justice but I really can`t tell the difference.

Ichiban likes this.