Engine & Gearbox Chirp on start up - is my aux belt on the way out?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by richsprint, Monday 14th Jan, 2013.

1. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

When I start my 2008 8th Generation from cold, especially if its been standing for a couple of days, I get a chirp, I assume thats a belt slipping a bit?

Is it my Auxillary belt thats needs adjusting or is worn? Cars done 65k, so possible I suppose.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    dampness on the pulleys can contribute it ,let me look up if there is a wear indicator as seen on the 7th Generation.

Another way to see the belt was onit way out on the 7th Generation the belt turned dark brown with a sheen finish the alternator outer aluminium casing get coated with this brown residue.

is that happening on yours?

3. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Haven't been under the bonnet for a week or so, but I'll have a look when the rain stops...

Maybe a bit brown, if you could let me know if there is an indicator that would be great CJ.

Cheers

Rich

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    For you 2.0 R series this is the inspection method ,check that the auto-tensioner indicator (A) is within the standard range (B) as shown. If it is out of the standard range change the belt.

CU1, CW1 belt inspection AOCUK.JPG

5. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Thanks Cj, I'll take a look.

6. stevenk4563 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Is this the same for the I-DTEC?

7. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Could it be a bearing squeaking?

8. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'd be inclined to say it is moisture related. Especially if it stops once the car engine temperature rises to normal levels.

9. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Yeah, didnt do it leaving work tonight, only after its parked up for a day or so.

10. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    most likely moisture, if the noise becomes more regular it would be worth getting it checked out but i wouldn't worry about it too much. you can get a spray called belt slip avaliable at car parts merchants that may stop the squeek. its in a wd40 size can, just spray it on the belt and hey presto.

11. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Had a look and it seems Ok, belt isnt cracked or brown. Bit hard to make out the marks, too much corrosion from road salt.

photo.

12. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Looks normal to me.

Still reckon its moisture matey - nothing to worry about.

13. excel monkey Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Epsom
    I have this on my 2004 petrol CR-V. It only started about two weeks ago. Much more than a chirp - more like a constant squealing sound. Very noisy when cold, gets better once the engine warms up, but it never goes away completely.

Car has done 140k miles, and to my knowledge the serpentine belt has never been replaced. Is there a recommended replacement interval for these things, or are they supposedly a "lifetime" compnonent that just gets inspected once a year as part of the service schedule?

14. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

If its a constant squealing the belt is slipping, which can be a sign the water pump is sticking/failing. Obviously worth trying a new belt first, tensioned properly, as its cheaper than a water pump...

15. excel monkey Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Epsom
    Thanks for that, much appreciated. If it turns out to be the water pump, then I must have bad luck with water pumps - I have had to replace them on several cars I have owned!

Is there a recommended replacement interval for the belt? Have tried looking elsewhere on the net, but can't find anything...

16. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Suppose 140k isnt bad going, I think you can tell by seeing if the water pump pulley feels loose, engine off of course!

don't think there is an interval for the belt, they just check and replace if necessary, Ichiban said if it looks very brown its wearing down.

17. excel monkey Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Epsom
    I probably left it a bit late to ask for advice on this thread, as I dropped the car off at my local Honda dealer this morning for them to take a look at it.

They reckon the belt is stretched and needs replacing (presumably the extra load on the alternator in the recent cold weather hasn't helped), and they've generously said they'll only charge me for the belt not the labour. Guess it helps that they've had a decent amount of £££ off me in the last few weeks for a Level 4 service and a few other bits...

18. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Does anybody has real life experience with what is the lifetime of the aux belt on a 2.0 i-VTEC? Manual says: check condition (wear, cracks,...) and tension (indicator as posted by CJ) every 40k KM (25k miles). My belt is still within the correct indicator range and there are no cracks in the belt. Looks brown, yes, but does this really mean it's worn out?
    Ask this because I have a (possible) belt related noise in these conditions:
    - very hot engine (traffic jam driving) and pulling away in 1st gear 'quick' (with a bit slipping clutch) => this is how it started the first time almost 1 year ago
    - only a few times: when starting up the engine morning time (so the opposite: cold, moister and no clutch movement)
    - latest months: in general when pulling away quick in 1st gear, no matter what weather or cold or steaming hot engine.
    The belt is still the first one (100k KM, 62k miles), 3,5 years old.
    Or does anybody knows about worn out bearings? There's nothing to be found in the technical bulletins.

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I personally think when it goes brown and it's splattering the brown pigment on the alternator and surrounding aluminium casting its past it's shelf life. I still think it can go on for a long time but do you want to tempt a break down and a overheated engine?On the 7th Generation if the belt snapped you would know about it as the power steering would go heavy , on the 8th Generation apart from the alternator warning there is no early warning due to the EPS.

Zoran had a similar issue his aux belt tensioner bearing became noisy,it could be the same.

20. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Thanks mate. I personally believe it sounds like a bearing, not a slipping belt. Proof is in the fact this happens with cold and/or hot engine. And slipping belt does sound a bit different asking me.