Pre-Purchase Choices, choices?

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by billman, Wednesday 27th Jan, 2016.

1. billman Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm currently looking at 2nd Generation 2.0 autos as a potential purchase. There seems to be a reasonable choice in my area and price range. I have two on my radar. Both are similarly specced, well looked after with a good history. I would really appreciate your thoughts on which of the two you would pursue?
    The choice is between a 2003 model with nearly 100k miles at £3000 and a 2006 model with under 60k miles at nearer £6000.

2. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    £6.000 ! Sounds a lot for a ten year old one. Think their using the low mileage.
    There's loads on eBay to give you an average price in your area.
    Obviously they command extra bucks in the winter ( as much as 20% )
    Don't be put off by high miles as 200k isn't considered that high BUT service history is a must.
    A known London independent by me had an 04 executive auto. With 62k FSH for just over 3k which I looked at if my £600 CR-V failed her MOT but as she passed - - - .

billman likes this.
  3. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    £3000 vs £6000 is quite a big difference. I doubt someone who is looking for a 6K car will even consider one for 3K as they are not directly comparable. May I ask what is your actual budget?
    By the looks of it for 6K you can get a very early 3rd Generation with as much miles as a 3K 2nd Generation.

Plenty of 2nd Gens around for 3-4K but if you are keen on getting either of the ones you listed then the best way to compare them would be to setup a test drive with both and see what feels different and if the 6K one is really worth 100% extra money.

billman likes this.
  4. billman Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you. Yes it's a main dealer trade-in which they've passed to their car supermarket sister company.

5. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Its very low miles which is bad if only used for short journeys. I find the more I look the more I get confused. If you've fallen for the 6k one drive it, if you like it offer them 5k and be prepared to walk.
    Remember it will last you years, be ultra reliable and not cost too much to run. PS push dealer for a years warranty MOT then you've also peace of mind.

billman likes this.
  6. billman Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you. £6000 is the top of my budget. Though being from the part of the world I am I do like to be "careful" with my money! Thus the agonising over whether the dearer, newer, lower mileage example is worth the extra.
    I will explore your suggestion of a 3rd Generation. I hadn't noticed any so far. But I have seen a few more late 2nd gens for more than £6000 which is why mine didn't leap out as being unreasonable.

7. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    As the 06 is the end of the line it may be loaded with every extra as would be harder to shift when new as people would hold out for the next gen. So may have full leather, good sat Navy, sounds etc.
    Keep us all up to date with your purchase.

billman likes this.
  8. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

I didn't actually suggest 3rd Generation. I was saying your 6K 2nd Generation is way too expensive unless it is last of the model as @stuscrv said and is loaded with options. I feel if you are happy to go for 2nd Generation then for 3-4K there are plenty of options with varying equipment. But why not try both the cars out and feel the difference yourself.
    It is always advisable to go for an older model with avg mileage and FSH then to buy a newer model with a lot of miles and patchy history.

9. billman Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Researching the 2nd Generation I is see there was a "mid-cycle refresh" in 2005. Is the facelift-ed version appreciably better than the older one e.g. 16" rather than 15" wheels?

10. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Mid cycle refreshes are usually better than pre-facelift. Updated styling, new features and generally less faults. For example the Jazz 2002-2008, during the refresh the sunroof became optional 2005 onwards but gained aux-in as standard plus strengthened gearbox and wheel bearings which were a pain for pre-facelift owners. As is the norm, refreshed 2nd Generation CR-V might have had some other improvements over pre-facelift.

Go through the brochures and other stuff listed on HK for the relevant year and see what you will be getting.
    http://hondakarma.com/literature/categories/honda-CR-V.94/

11. billman Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Purchase now made. I went pre-facelift in the end. I will update this forum with all the details and my thoughts and questions in due course. Many thanks for the pre-purchase advise.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good stuff, look forward to seeing it :Smile:

billman likes this.