Body, Paint & Styling Chrome strips removal for respray, how?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by i-DSI, Saturday 27th Aug, 2016.

1. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi all,
    My Accord's at the bodyshop for a respray, including doors left and right hand side. The lower, horizontal chrome strip comes off in an easy way and can be reused. Het upper part on the doors on the other way is according to the body shop guys glued and will be damaged if they remove it for the respray. For the rear doors it's necessary for a respray, for the front doors, without removal is fine. But anyhow, we want to remove them because the doors are second hand and my chrome strips are in better condition then the ones on the second hand doors.
    So my question: can the upper chrome strips of the rear doors be removed without damaging them? And if so: how??
    These are the parts I'm talking about:

Genuine Honda Parts | Honda Cars | Honda Motorcycles | Honda Power Products | Lings Honda Car Parts Selection OEM

You see the price?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @HondaHeritage you the metal whisperer what your technique ?classics cars has loads of chrome so it needs an old school method of removing as long as they are not bonded with sealant.

Mate look up MaRIS in body shop section and see if these things are not bonded.

3. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Thanks man,
    But I don't have MaRIS access. I'm so afraid they are actually glued on the upper side of the doors.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Let me look that up for you now.Man this is easy peezy

Front Door Outer Molding Replacement

NOTE:
    • If you remove the door outer molding, replace it with a new one because it will bend during removal.
    • Put on gloves to protect your hands.
    • Take care not to scratch the door.
    • When removing components, use the trim tools or equivalent.

1. Remove these items:
    • Tweeter cover
    • Door panel
    • Power mirror

2. Using a clip remover, detach the clip, then pull back the door weatherstrip (A), and remove the screw securing the door outer molding (B).

upload_2016-8-27_20-2-51.

3. While removing the upper edge of the door outer molding (A) from the edge of the sash, cut the double-sided adhesive tape (B) with a utility knife, then remove the molding from the sash.

4. Scrape off the remaining double-sided adhesive tape from the sash, then clean the sash surface with a sponge dampened in isopropyl alcohol.

5. Install the new door outer molding in the reverse order of removal, and note these items:
    • Push the adhesive portions into place securely.
    • Make sure the upper and lower sides of the molding are catching the edges of the sash properly.
    • Push the door weatherstrip clip into place securely.

upload_2016-8-27_20-4-28.
    It does say it will bend if you remove it but if you take your own sweet time you should be good.

i-DSI likes this.
  5. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Ok, so basically they are right...
    I suppose same for the rear door ?

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Yeah man same principle

upload_2016-8-27_20-24-9. upload_2016-8-27_20-24-42.

legend-ary, i-DSI and HondaHeritage like this.
  7. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    bit modern for me matey would need to eyeball it in the flesh but hey great bit of research for the answers there cj:Thumbup:

Ichiban likes this.
  8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

How did the re-spray go @i-DSI ?

9. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    She's like new! Both sides respraid back to front, 3 doors replaced, one badly damaged door sill repaired and one front wing. Have her back since Friday afternoon. I'm so pride again.
    The chrome strips: finally bought two new ones for the rear doors. Set me back another 200 euro, but looking at the 'whole picture' of the repair, that's a small cost.
    I will start a thread about this repair: before and after in a few days.

Ichiban and Nels like this.
  10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I'm pleased that you've got your Accord back. You can now enjoy her again.:vtec: