Off-Topic Citroen

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by StuH, Wednesday 26th Jun, 2013.

1. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
  2. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I agree.I think the DS5 s a really funky looking thing.

3. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I think they've probably come along alot from what they used to be like, personally I'm tempted by a C5 Tourer think they just look awesome.

4. Ray Ambrose Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ray Cambridge
    I have to agree. Citroen is going through a design revolution. Just went into their Cambridge showroom. Lovely cars. In all though, if you are a Honda owner, don't let temptation rule your head. Compare reliability, customer service and every facet of ownership with that of Honda. No comparison. Honda still wins by a customer mile....

5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

No disagreement from me either - they have rather left Renault and Peugeot behind in the French car stakes.

The DS5 does look stunning, but one of the motoring magazines recommends avoiding the "Hybrid4" version as it is "undeveloped." Which doesn't inspire confidence that reliability will be on the up along with the styling and marketing...

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I think we need to kidnap their designers and hold em captive in Japan !

(sorry that was the best compliment I could give :Wink:)

John Dickson likes this.
  7. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

When I was first looking at Honda I went to Springfield Honda (as it was then before Vertu took over their Honda franchise here) to look at 7th Generation Accord - it hadn't long been out. Basically I wanted one there and then but finances weren't so keen so the inevitable purchase had to be put off a few months. Anyway, my brother was with me at the time and upon leaving the Honda showroom, we decided that for a laugh we'd go over to Springfield Citroen - go from the wonderful to the awful, one extreme to the other, quality wise. We walked in, sat in a C4, I opened the ashtray (I don't smoke but it's a good indication of build quality) and it came away in my hand. The salesman approached, asked if he could help, I looked at him, still holding the detached ashtray, looked at the ashtray, looked at him, put the ashtray back were the Citroen works obviously couldn't be ar$ed to do properly, said "Nah you're all right mate" and left in hysterics.

I can see how they woo people in with the funky designs and neat dash layouts but it's not much use after 6 months when you've got a box of bits that have fallen off in the boot.

8. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I run a C3 Picasso for a year as a taxi, and to be honest it was really reliable. I did about 25k in it and the only problem I had with it was the earth strap snapped on it. Oh and it went through front and rear discs and pads by 19k. I only wish I had asked the dealer to keep the old ones for me to see because I was highly suspicious that both pads AND discs would have worn through together that early.

9. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

A C4 Picasso here and not a single problem with it in 6 years. Its a diesel and the other half just does shopping runs and local trips in it and no problem at all with DPF or anything. Its not as solid as my Accord but it is very reliable.

10. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I know people who've ran French cars for years with no problem. Years ago a friend of mine had E-Reg Renault 9 (think I've got that right way round 9 was saloon 11 was hatch?). 130,000 miles no issues whatsoever save for routine things. Someone killed it with a Mondeo turning right and not giving way. Wasn't badly damaged but due to its age the insurer wrote it off!

A taxi driver I know had a Peugeot 406 1.9 HDi with best part of 600,000 miles on it. The only thing wrong with it was the odometer; he was sure it was under-reading slightly as the mileage got higher! He no longer runs it but it was still alive and well recently the last I heard.

You get a good un they're great! It's just they haven't cracked the duplication of reliability and quality of build like Honda and the rest of the Japanese have yet. When they do....Watch out rest of automotive world!

Pads and discs can wear out far quicker than what we were used to years ago. I heard this is because the pads are softer now since asbestos was banned in them and consequently they bite harder into the discs and wear them down quicker.

11. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I know pad and disk wear is more now but my current taxi (Skoda Octavia) is on 21.5k with plenty of meat left on the pads and the discs only have a tiny lip on them.
    I had fixed price servicing with the Citroen and I can't help thinking the dealer was a bit naughty and pushed the price up a bit.
    I've never heard of discs wearing out before pads. Not with normal street pads anyway.

12. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes there are some unfounded rumours (being careful so I don't get sued here! :lol:) of dealers (across all marques) utilising fixed price servicing deals in order to push work through before it's due. I've heard people saying they've been told they need discs before pads, which sounds strange. Now I don't have the full facts so it could be in one or two cases that the car has stood idle for a long time and the discs have corroded severely which isn't down to wear but this will not be that common I wouldn't have thought so back to our original theory.

Likewise with my current Accord. It's on 49,500 miles, only on it's second set of pads and original discs. The front discs in particular have a lip on them but they've never been mentioned as needing replacing yet.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    My 7th Generation Tourer 2.0 Tourer had 66k Miles on the front disc and two pads before the discs where changed. Why does it have to be the cars fault when things go wrong could it not be the user?

14. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well I owned both cars from new, so it's definitely not down to this driver.

15. blob Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My wife has had a berlingo/partner hdi for years. Despite dire warnings from all and sundry it has been a great car. Very reliable and cheap parts. Only problem has been a clutch release bearing at 135K. But the whole clutch kit fitted was less than £300 so no complaints.

Sure its a bit basic, but for what she wants it is a great car.

16. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Same over here: my wife has a (second hand) Civic 1.4 I-DSI petrol for years. No warnings from anybody, as it's know to be a great car anyhow. Very reliable and no need for parts. No problem, also not a clutch.

It's not a basic car (sport-trim, nice equipped), and it's more fun to drive than a square Citroen mini van. Even if she drives only 5000 miles/year.

Sorry, couldn't hold myself writing this.... this is a Honda forum after all. :Whistle:

Ichiban likes this.
  17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    One year old Honda Accord Tourer (Today )done 9000 miles no issues had a bit of gearbox noise that's gone after a oil change paid by Honda.

Lose parking sensoir cable needed reseating that is all.

7th Generation accord 90K miles 2 set of brakes all round one set of drop links and a cat cover. that is all.

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Owned 7 Hondas (4 Accords, 3 Civics), totalling more than a decade of Honda ownership, around 400K miles across them, bar changing serviceable parts, never had to repair anything !