General Civic 2.2 ctdi opinions?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kris81, Tuesday 9th Feb, 2016.

1. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I'm after a diesel, and since I've owned a 7th Generation accord (petrol) for over 2 years I'm thinking of going for a Civic ctdi, for a change of scenery!

I've seen a lovely 57 plate with 85k on it, it has FSH, and recently had the clutch and DMF done.

What are people's opinions on this model?

I'm guessing it is the same engine as the accord?
    So it could be remapped like the Accords.

Any other known faults to look out for?
    Cheers.

2. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Weak clutch is the only issue I'm aware of Kris but my knowledge of the Civic is limited. New Clutch and DMF on the one you're looking at is good news.

Apparently the design of the rear window takes a bit of getting used to.

Kris81 likes this.
  3. Mintsauce5 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Tony Walsall
    I've had my Civic 2.2 CDt-I for just over four years now , mines a 57 reg as well and to be honest I can't fault it , the clutch on mine has started slipping a little in recent months but apart from that I've had four trouble free years with it , I'm moving on to a CR-V within the next month which I'm hoping will be as reliable but I'd highly recommend the Civic to you

4. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

What sort of MPG can i expect?
    I commute to work each week which involves 2 x 270 mile trips mainly on the M1 / A1

5. Mintsauce5 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Tony Walsall
    I average just over 40 MPG that's mostly short journeys my commutes only 9 miles each way

6. qc2 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    I had a 2.2 Civic until recently which I was running alongside the CL9. Have a good nose around and drive a few.

Super economical, I'd get in the 50s driving dual carriageway and motorway on my daily 75 mile round trip. Coming from a CL9 you may be slightly disappointed in the ride and build quality though. They ride very firm and isn't the most comfortable cruiser. I had the option of keeping the Civic or the Accord and went with the Accord. I chose comfort and ride over economy, it all depends on what is important to you.

Quince

7. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Remapping will probably result in the need for a new clutch... Lots about this on the Civinfo forum!

8. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Obviously same engine in the Accord, but I usually get around 700 miles to a tank and average mid 50s on a 20 mile run keeping up with the flow in traffic. On a longer run of around a 100 or so which we do every few months to see family, she clips 60, sometimes a bit more, sometimes just under.

Kris81 likes this.
  9. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

@qc2 u were bang on, I went to test drive a Civic tonight and it was a harsh ride, even though my CL9 is lowered and running 35 profile tyres!
    It drove nice and I liked the grunt it had, but a couple of things put me off

The doors where huge! (3dr)
    Harsh ride, especially over potholes etc
    Headlights, weren't HIDs like my stock CL9 ones.
    Parked my CL9 next to it and when I stood back and looked at the 2 I preferred the look of my CL9 too!

So I think I might try a diesel accord at some stage, but for now I might just run my CL9 till it stops working, it owes me nothing and the extra I'm paying in fuel is the same as a loan repayment on a newer car! So I wouldn't see any benefits of driving a diesel for a year or 2 anyway!

qc2 and Nighthawk like this.
  10. Nighthawk Guest

How did you find the engine?

11. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I may well hang on for your @Nighthawk!
    - - - Updated - - -
    It was stock, and I thought it was spot on.
    Upto 70 and 80 without trying to hard.
    And give it the beans in 2nd and 3Rd and it pulled really well. It was a nice straight genuine car, just I'm not sure I wanted it enough. Bearing in mind I've just done a 300 mile round trip to see it, my heart wasn't screaming buy it!

Nighthawk likes this.
  12. Nighthawk Guest

She is getting her airbags replaced this month under the recall notice and a new fuel filter at the same time

Imagine that engine in the accord with six gears and tbe same level of refinment you are used too....

13. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Yeh, I had my airbag done, last year.

U gotta Keep on top of her!,
    potential buyer here! Lol

Looks like I'll be racking up the miles in my CL9 for a while.

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    CL9's love eating miles, they do it without batting an eye lid, they do it in comfort, they do it in style, so I think you made the right move.

15. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ha ha. You are right there like.

16. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    The build quality and material quality are also a big difference, the Accord is just a much nicer place to be in.

17. qc2 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    3 door car doors generally are huge, I'm using a CLK these days for my work commute and those are like barn doors.

I think any Accord driver moving to a Civic would feel similar, the difference is night and day. We had the Civic first and the Accord followed after. Until the Accord came along we were fairly happy with the Civic. Just goes to show how underrated the Accord really is. The build, the ride and the level of equipment... Had it been a 3 series or A4 it would have broken every sales record possible I imagine. Even in 2016 it's still an attractive looking saloon car. The 8th Generation is a nice, I've tested a few but aesthetically it's missing something which I can't quite put my finger on.

18. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I think the 8th Generation looks bloated.

19. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    It does look a little body heavy but the tourer is sex on wheels, especially in GT kit! Type-S was on my wish list before I got the CR-V.

20. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    I agree. Type-S tourer will be a strong contender when I decide to move on.