Tyres & Wheels Civic alloys on Accord?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by nodrogs, Wednesday 19th Nov, 2014.

1. nodrogs Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Stephen Belfast
    Hi, I've found a set of Civic alloys from the 7th Generation Civic 1.6 sport. They are 16" with 5 studs, 16x6.5 J, ET45. I was going to fit a set of winter tyres and just wondering if anyone can confirm that these will fit the car ok? Thanks!

myxzizgcQwNchsM2cxWzLxg.

Last edited by a moderator: Monday 24th Nov, 2014
  2. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Nodrogs,
    Yes, such rims will fit the car. But the original Civic tyres on them are not OK for Accord (no good dimensions).
    And: Honda did not approve these rims for Accord (a heavier, faster car).

Ichiban likes this.
  3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    They'll fit fine, with either 205/55 or 225/50 tyres they'll have the right overall diameter for the speedo to be accurate :Thumbup:

4. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Yes, they'll technically fit. But these tyres are NOT allowed on Accord. You need 205/60/16 (for CU1 only!!) or 215/60/16 (for CU3).
    In Belgium no way you'd pass our 'MOT' with such tyres.
    A 225/50 on 16 inch? Does this really fit? The tyre will deform, no?

Ichiban likes this.
  5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I just noticed this was 8th Generation so my diameters were off anyway :Laughing: But yeah 225/50 works fine, almost the same overhang as 215/60 due to the aspect ratio differences :Smile:

wheelimage.

You forget Belgium has way stricter regulations than us folk over here, we're not limited on tyres (unless running some insane profiles). Long as the outer diameter matches within a couple of millimetre the speedometer will still be accurate.

The only real point is that Honda wouldn't stick these on an Accord as they're not allocated for use on it as you say, but then again, people have been swapping OEM rims between models for years and I'm yet to hear of a deformity or crack yet. Though you hear of aftermarket/replica rims buckling all the time :Laughing:

6. nodrogs Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Stephen Belfast
    Thanks guys!

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I think what i_DSI also wanted to get across here were the structural integrity of the Civic alloys, they are not tested for long term use on the heavier Accord . The fact you can fit a tyre of similar size is irrelevant the alloy should be able to handle the weight and abuse it given. Given time that Civic alloy may fail on the Accord as its not rated for that car use, are you going to take that risk and your family?Not all alloy wheels are permitted for use on all cars with the same PCD. For example If you look at the Thunder alloy wheel for the Accord there is a warning which stated not to be used on 2.4 or the diesel ATS .. but people don't listen.

That why I will never use after market alloys or mix and match as life too valuable for vanity.
    - - - Updated - - -
    You right but this is the level of resistance we face when people think the same PCD means its will work .. No it does not. If you had a fork truck alloy with the same PCD you won't fit that as it a direct bolt on, you won't fit it because its ugly. LOL

i-DSI likes this.
  8. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    That's also why I bought second hand Honda original Delta wheels developed and approved for Accord, and no cheap aftermarkets that might break down one day.

Nels likes this.
  9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Both of us having worked at Honda we know the crack.:Wink:

i-DSI likes this.
  10. Mr Honda Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Dublin
    I thought the Thunder Alloys weren't recommended as they're only 7.5j in width and the standard for the 2.2 ATS and 2.4 was 8j, bigger calipers on them and wider tyres as standard.

I would have no issues fitting the above alloys as a winter option, Honda tends to over engineer their products anyway!!

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds