In-Depth Civic IMA and CR-V PC Card slot Information

Discussion in 'Technical Articles' started by Service News, Friday 6th Feb, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Service News Staff Managed Dealer Information

UK
    Honda issued the following TSB #HUK000000001285 dated 06-02-09 for the following models with a PC card slot

Civic Hybrid FD3 All Year models
    CR-V RE5 All Year models
    CR-V i-CTDi RE6 All Year models

Symptom
    The owner complains that the memory card and adapter does not work on the Navigation/Audio unit.
    upload_2015-7-27_11-23-6.

Cause
    Various issues with the PC card adapters cause communication failure with the Navigation/Audio unit.

Countermeasure
    After extensive testing with various manufacturers, Honda recommend only using CF memory cards to a
    maximum of 1GB combined with a CF card adapter.

Card types and adapters
    Compact Flash (CF) Card and adapter. (Recommended)

Note : Compact flash (CF) cards come in various capacities from 32MB to 4GB however Honda only
    recommend cards up to 1GB.
    upload_2015-7-27_11-25-25.

SD Flash (Secure Digital)
    (Not Recommended)

Note : SD Cards come in various capacities from 32MB to 8GB however Honda only recommend cards up to 1 GB.
    Note : 5 in 1 or 6 in 1 style card adapters are not recommended for use with the Honda Navigation/Audio units as they often require additional drivers to function.

upload_2015-7-27_11-26-3.

ATA Flash (Combined card and adapter) (Not Recommended)Note : The ATA card and adapter are contained in one
    unit.
    upload_2015-7-27_11-26-52.

Hard disc drive (HDD) (Not Recommended)

Note : Do not use as these can easily overheat in a hot vehicle causing damage to the Hard Disc.
    upload_2015-7-27_11-27-36.

Sony memory stick/Memory pro (Not recommended)
    Note : Sony manufacture the memory stick and memory stick pro.
    Honda have only tested cards up to 1 GB for this media and do not recommend this type of media.

upload_2015-7-27_11-28-25.

Express Card adapters
    Warning : Express card readers are not compatible with the PC card slot.
    Inserting this type of card in to the navigation/Audio unit will cause damage.

upload_2015-7-27_11-29-35. upload_2015-7-27_11-29-57.

FAQ's

What is a PC card?
    A PC card consists of a flash memory chip, and an adapter card. The PC card can store files different file formats just like a hard drive on your home or office PC. If the card contains MP3 or WMA music files, they can be played on the Civic IMA or CR-V's Navigation/audio unit. Note : Other files on the card are ignored Where is the card reader slot located? The card reader slot is located behind the navigation display. To access the the PC card slot press the open button located on the navigation screen facia.

How do I insert a card into the PC card slot?
    Slide the memory card into the card adapter and then slide the adapter into the PC card slot on the vehicle. Note : Ensure the label on the card and adapter is facing up when inserting into the PC card slot. Where can customers purchase memory cards and card adapters? PC card adapter and memory cards can be purchased at the following outlets: Computer stores, Office supply stores ,supermarkets & camera shops.

What do I need to ask for in store?
    Honda recommend that customers only purchase a CF card and a CF card adapter for use in the Civic IMA and CR-V Navigation/Audio unit.
    Note : Adapters that hold several different types of memory cards such as the Sandisk 6-1 adapter are not recommended as they require special drivers that are not always compatible with the Honda navigation unit.

What flash memory types work with adapters?
    Honda recommend only using a CF card and CF card adapter however other media types may work with the navigation unit.
    Note : Honda cannot be held responsible for non functionality of memory cards and memory card adapters.

How do I put music files onto the PC card?

You can use your home or office PC to move MP3 or WMA music files to your PC card. Most laptops have a PC card slot to plug in your PC
    card. For desktop PC's USB adapters are available that can access and transfer files from your PC to your memory card.
    Use Windows Explorer and move the required files from your hard drive to the memory card.

What kind of music files can I play?

The Navigation unit will only play files in WMA, or MP3 format.

Can I play i-Tunes files from the PC card on the Navigation unit?
    No i-Tunes files cannot be played from a PC card on the navigation unit as the files are not in WMA or MP3 format.

Why won't my music play in the car? it works ok in my PC.

If you experience the above please try the troubleshooting listed below.

1. The Memory card may not be fully inserted into the card adapter. Eject the card adapter and ensure the memory card is

2. The PC card adapter may not be fully inserted in the PC card slot. Eject the card adapter and inspect for warping or damage to the card adapter.
    Note : Never use excessive force to insert the card adapter as this can result in damage to the pins in located in the PC card slot of the navigation unit.

3. The card may contain audio files that are not recognised by the system.cOnly MP3 or WMA file formats are recognized by the navigation unit.

4. The memory card type may not be accepted by the system. Honda only recommend using a CF card.

5. The card adapter may not be accepted by the system. Honda only recommend using a CF card.

6. The memory card capacity has been exceeded. Honda recommend only using CF cards up to 1GB.

7. The memory card has a write protection switch. Ensure the switch is of before attempting to transfer files from your PC to the memory card.

8. Although memory cards are generally reliable, occasionally they can develop bad sectors or other formatting errors that can prevent them from playing. Re-format the card using FAT or FAT32 format.

9. The memory card may have been damaged by heat. In hot climates, remove the card from the vehicle when not in use.

10. The memory card may have been formatted using NTFS format. Re-format the memory card using FAT or FAT32 format.

11. The filing structure of the card may exceed the specification of the system. Ensure the file structure does not exceed the following specification.
    Maximum playable folder layers - 8
    Total playable folders - 255
    Total playable tracks - 999

12. When I insert a memory card containing music into the navigation unit it does not play immediately?
    A) This delayed function is normal operation. The navigation unit is reading the card file "Tag" information so it can display the track, artist , and title.
    Note : The length of delay depends on the number of tracks and the complexity of the folder structure.

13 Why is the "Card" or "Song" search buttons displayed on the Navigation screen greyed out when inserting a card.?
    A)This delayed function is normal operation. The navigation unit is reading the card file "Tag" information so it can display the track, artist , and title. Once the system completes the reading process the buttons will become active.

14) Are there any error messages to tell me what's wrong?
    A) There are three possible error messages.(See below)
    1. "CARD NO MUSIC" The system cannot find any MP3 or WMA Files, verify the files exist on the card.
    2. "CARD FILE ERROR" The card may be formatted incorrectly. The memory card may have been formatted using NTFS format. Re-format the memory card using FAT or FAT32 format.
    3. "CARD MEDIA ERROR" Memory card or PC card adapter may not be compatible or card damaged.

15) My children inserted a coin into the PC card slot what should I do?
    A) Take the vehicle to your local dealer. The pins located at the back of the card slot are very delicate, and can be damaged if screwdrivers or other
    tools are used to extract the object. Note: This issue is not covered under warranty

16) When my PC card adapter is in the PC card slot the navigation door won't close?
    A) The system checks to see that the PC card adapter is plugged in correctly and also the memory card is fully inserted into the adapter.
    If the system thinks either of the cards are not inserted correctly it will not close the navigation door. Always ensure the card and adapter are fully inserted.
    Note : Some multi adapters such as 5 in 1 styles may protrude slightly beyond the end of the adapter. If this happens the display will close until it makes
    contact with the adapter and will then re-open. Honda Only recommend using a CF card and CF card adapter.

Glossary of terms
    ATA Card
    A type of card that has been tested for use in playing WMA, and MP3 music files in the PC card slot. Note : Sizes up to 1GB have been tested.

Byte
    A unit of storage for computer files and memory.

Compact Flash (CF)
    A standard for small sized (3x4cm), memory cards used in mobile computers, PDA's, and digital camera's.
    Note : Sizes up to 1GB have been tested.

CD Compact Disc
    A 4.5 Inch Plastic disc containing a digital audio recording that is played optically on a laser equipped player.
    Note : Never use disc's with a paper stick on label as these can curl up inside the CD player and jam the unit.

Express Card
    This style of card is not compatible with the PC card slot. If an express card is inserted the pins within the navigation unit will be damaged.

GB (Gigabyte)
    A unit of memory or disc storage equal to 1 billion bytes (1000 million bytes)

HDD
    Abbreviation for Hard Disc Drive.

MB (Megabyte)
    A unit of memory or disc storage equal to 1 million bytes.

Memory
    Circuitry or device that holds information in electrical or magnetic form.

Memory stick
    This type of flash card is made by Sony and comes in various sizes and configurations.

MP3 Music file
    MP3 is an audio coding format.
    Note : CD's and PC cards with these files can be played
    using the vehicles audio/Navigation unit.

WMA music file

Windows Media Audio file. This is an accepted format for music to be played on either CD or PC card.

PC Card

The slot used for playing MP3 and WMA music files. The PC card is usually a combination of a small flash card in a PCMCIA adapter that slides into the PC card slot on the Audio/Navigation unit.

PCMCIA

A computer standard for the slot that the PC card slides into.

SD (Secure Digital) Card
    This compact type of memory card allows for fast data transfer and has built in security functions.
    Note : SD cards have a small write protection switch on the side.

Tag Information
    The music information on the card. This includes all of the song names, album names, and artist names for each track.
    Track
    A sound recording on a CD or PC card

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.