Family Members Civic Inspire

7th Generation (2001-2005) vehicle added by exec, Saturday 20th Jun, 2015

1. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    exec added a new Honda to the garage:

Civic Inspire

Check the vehicle's full information here.
    - - - Updated - - -
    List of jobs to do on this and other self notes:

--------------------------------
    Service
    --------------------------------
    1) New Air filter
    2) New Oil filter
    3) New Pollen filter
    4) Fresh oil change
    5) New spark plugs
    6) Coolant change
    7) Timing belt change at 70k - currently at 67k and is 12 years old so needs one before scheduled 72k

---------------------------------
    Cleaning
    ---------------------------------
    1) Vacuum - needs a good old hoover mainly in the boot as there is dog hair
    2) Dashboard and other plastic - Dashboard needs a clean along with all the other bits like steering wheel, door console etc, clean off the germs of old owners.
    3) Windows - Give the inside of the windows a good old clean
    4) Seats - give the seats a clean to get rid off old owners germs lol

-----------------------
    Bodywork
    -----------------------
    1) Scuff repairs - couple of scuffs on one door, look at T-cutting and any other easy diy options
    2) Rust repairs - there is one small DOT on that same scuffed door that has paint chipped off and surface rust, the paint is so thin on these cars!
    3) Bump strip reattach - again the same door the culprit, the bump protection strip has come off, it needs new clips to reattach so source and install one.

----------------------------------
    General maintenance and misc
    ----------------------------------
    1) Check all fluids and top up - screenwash is low, check condition of brake and clutch fluid etc.
    2) Seatbelt repair - one of the seatbelt buckle is broken so source and install replacement
    3) Alarm hazard no flash - Hazard doesn't come on when doors are locked, find out if they are meant to!
    4) Squeaky slave cylinder (?) - same squeak I get on my clutch so buy some moly grease and lube up contacts
    5) Weak headlights - headlights are crap like my Accord so will fit some Philips Xtreme bulbs
    6) Air con clean and regas - doesnt blow cold

2. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    2) Seatbelt repair - one of the seatbelt buckle is broken so source and install replacement

Turned out the seatbelt buckles work, so no need to replace.! :Blushing: :jumpy:

Nighthawk likes this.
  3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Btw mate, your uncles car is an EU8, not an EP2 :Whistle:. EP2 is the 3 door version containing the same engine as your uncles. :Thumbup:

exec likes this.
  4. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Oh oops another :Blushing: duly changed!

Nighthawk likes this.
  5. Nighthawk Guest

We only have a couple of EP2's on here and I think my missus was the first one so I can't have anyone trying to pinch that crown from me.... :Laughing:

6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    :Tongue: I've grown rather fond of the Civic, so I think i might have to buy an EP2 for myself :Devil:

Nighthawk likes this.
  7. Nighthawk Guest

I must admit - I quite like the missus car too. Not for a long run, but for just going around town, its great. She handles really well too, but is a bit gutless compared to what I am used to driving, but the way she corners is fantastic

exec likes this.
  8. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    It is fantastic around town, a lot more nimble than the Accord and the controls are superlight, I never realised how heavy the clutch and steering is on the Accord but you just get used to it after a while I guess. I took the Civic on the motorway yesterday en route scrappies and I found it very refined, it was pretty quiet too, but I hate the steering, constantly needs correcting and just feels weird. Also agree with the handling, really good handler, but the rear suspension is too stiff which can make the car uncomfortable on certain roads and going up humps, feels like the back just jumps up, the Accord is so much more comfy.

I find the 1.6 really peppy, even in 5th going at 30 it doesnt seem to cough or splutter and it doesnt seem to be down on tourque too much when hitting the gas, then again the Accord don't have a whole lot of torque so can't really notice it! I'm glad we went with the 1.6 and not 1.4, as that probably would have been really underpowered for a car that weights nearly 1200kg, only regret is not finding a good SE or exec as it would have been nice to have a bit more toys and uprated interior, but man I do love the space inside this car, still can't get over how rooomy it is, my Accord feels claustrophobic compared, the Civic layout is so clever and you can tell this is a an engineer designed car and not some committee led car.

Nighthawk likes this.
  9. Nighthawk Guest

The steering is the EPS mate, they binned the traditional hydraulic power steering setup for some reason. The EPS can feel a bit loose at times, and its a well known issue with this generation of Civic. We drove a few EU8's before getting the EP2. We were turned off by the way the EU8 felt to drive, missus likes a car to feel planted on the road (almost said the missus likes a hard ride but then decided against saying that :Whistle: as it would like to have been misconstrued.) Our little EP2 feels so much more planted than the EU8s we drove, she has a few bangs under the front suspension but thats just the drop links and the anti roll bar bushes which I will get round to changing at some point.

Get one mate, they are lovely little cars. Not many EP2's around for sale so search carefully if you do get one. I love getting back into my Accord after driving the Civic - as you say, its just so much more comfy. The Accord is better mannered than the Civic, so much more relaxing to drive and so much quieter (although the sound proofing I put in the Accord does mean I am cheating a little bit)

10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Ordered following parts and will be servicing it in the next 2 weeks:

1) Crosland air filter from ECP
    2) Crosland pollen filter from ECP
    3) OEM Oil filter and sumpwasher from ebay honda dealer
    4) NGK ZFR5J-11 spark plug from ECP
    5) Shell Helix Ultra 5-30w oil from ECP
    6) Philips xtremevision 130% h4 bulbs from ECP
    7) Fitted custom car mat from valuecarmat

Nighthawk likes this.
  11. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Serviced the car yesterday, oil, oil filter, sparks, air and pollen filter all changed. She looks very clean underneath. The drain pan bolt was a pig to get off, had use breaker bar in the end, and the washer was stuck on it.

Now left to do, timing belt change, investigate EPS noise, and also door sensor issue.

12. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Good one mate.. any logs/photos to accompany the update? Will help people like me take confidence in themselves and pickup the spanner :Niceone:

13. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Unfortunately not, but I am happy to help if you have any questions or need guidance. I would personally say pick up the spanner and go for it. I didn't know much about working on cars before, but decided to give it a go around 2 years ago, was a total noob, followed and read up on various guides @AndyB1976 guides really made it easy, and ever since I haven't looked back, once you do it the first time and realise how easy it is you will have the confidence, I now service and do other bits where possible on my car, my dads and my uncles.

So give it a go mate, if your handy with tools then it will be a breeze. I am sure if I can do it then so can you. :Thumbup:

AndyB1976 and legend-ary like this.
  14. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

:Thumbup: Thanks for the encouragement exec. I do intend to get going on my Jazz really soon not only because of cost reasons but also because I really want to. I have posted some queries up in my Jazz project log as I am trying to figure out what is going on so if you get a chance, please have a look. All suggestions are more than welcome.

Cheers.

15. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I will take a look and help out in anyway, unfortunately my knowledge is limited being an amateur. :Tongue:

16. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Here is a quick written guides if it helps anyone in anyway, these are quick guides with the assumption that you know which tools are required and the basic procedures, and these are the methods I use myself.

Air filter change:

This is very simple procedure:

1) Locate airbox which is at the back of the engine bay, black box.
    2) Unclip all the metal tabs, there are six in total from memory
    3) Now unbolt the black bolt that also has philips screw input on it located sort of in the middle of the airbox. I tried first with a screwdriver but these are basically bolts so it failed and was stripping the thread. So whipped out a small socket set I had and unbolted it.
    4) Now the airbox will lift up, then simply take out the air filter.
    5) Install new air filter, make sure it fits all across the edging to air seal it and also push down the rubbery bit where that bolt screws in.
    6) Refit the airbox lid in reverse

Oil Change:

1) Jack the car up and put on axle stands, make sure its resting securely. Also make sure the engine is hot so the oil drains out quick, also unscrew the filler cap before to relieve pressure.
    2) The oil pan is on the left hand side of the car, so crawl underneath and with a 17mm socket, loosen the drain bolt, remember lefty loosey to take it off.
    3) Before taking the whole bolt off, position a big pan of some sorts to catch all the fluid, i will need to hold around 3-4 litres of oil and be big enough in circumference to catch the oil spouting out.
    4) Let the oil drain for the next 5 mins, keep an eye on it, the oil will sprinkle out further at first then treacle more inwards so you might need to reposition the catch pan during the process.
    5) Once the oil drip slows down you can put the drain bolt back on. You should replace the silver washer with a new one.
    6) Screw the bolt back in rightey tightey, you torque it to avoid over-tightening and stripping the threads. It is 44nm for steel pan and 39nm for alu pan, I wasnt sure what my uncles one was so went in the middle with 40nm, which should be fine if it is a steel pan.
    7) wipe off any oil from the pan.

Oil filter change:

Oil filter is located at the back of the engine, so you need to go underneath the car and stretch your arms up to take it off, its a bit awkwardly placed and space can be tight.

I personally have an exact oil filter socket for honda OEM filter so I use this to take it off which makes the job hell of alot easier, you can still use other types lie universal claw socket.

1) Put the oil wrench socket on the oil filter and withc socket wrench untighten the oil filter, lefty loosey.
    2) When its untighten you should just unscrew it by hand as its a bit easier IMO, but be careful it will drip oil when it reachs a certain stage so let it drain out when it does this.
    3) Unscrew it all and inspect the filter to see that rubber gasket is still on it, if so, dispose of the filter.
    4) Get the new filter and prep it by oiling up the rubber gasket to prevent it sticking on next time you change it again.
    5) hand screw it in first, then get a torque wrench and tighten it to 14nm, you will need that specific filter socket thing to do that, otherwise to half a turnth, it should say on the filter itself how tight it should be.

6) After these two steps you can now refill the car with some fresh oil, I used shell helix ultra 5/30 for this car and topped up around 3.7l, I wasnt sure what the max intake was! But the oil level looked fine on the dipstick.

Spark plugs:

1) Loosen the screw on the black plastic engine cover then lift off to remove
    2) Then undo the four black bolts on the 4 coil pack thingy (not sure what called) of the spark plugs, then you can undo two silver screws on the side of the wiring harness to make movement easy,
    3) unclip the wiring connect on each of the 4 coil pack thingsy, press the tab and pull off, take precaution when taking off if yous till have battery connected up.
    4) now you are ready to change the spark plugs, pull out the black coil pack thingy
    5) using a spakr plug socket untighten the spark plug, lefty loosey, once untighted, unscrew it by hand with the extension stick
    6) take out the spark plug, check and inspect for any fouling.
    7) using the spark plug socket install the new spark plug, first hand tight it, then use a tourque wrench and tighten to 18nm.
    8) do the same for next 3
    9) refit everything in reverse order

Chunkylover53 and legend-ary like this.
  17. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Great write up. Looks like I should invest in oil filter removal tool and a torque wrench so I don't end up over tightening stuff.. :Niceone:

18. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    These are the basics you will need and what I have myself:

Drain pan: cheap and cheerful, theres better out there but cost more,

funnel: to avoid throwing oil everywhere when filling

torque wrench: this is my baby, really nice to use and good quality, covers all the basic torque ranges and is certified for torque tolerance

wratchet: to take bolts off, having breakbar is also handy for tight nuts

Clarke PRO159 3/8" Swivel Head Rapid Wrench (292mm Long)

- Machine Mart

socket set: this covers a lot of honda bolts

Clarke PRO30 9 Piece 3/8" Drive Metric Socket Set

- Machine Mart

oil filter wrench: i can't remember where or whcih I bought, but it looks like this and pretty sure its those specs 65mm and 14 flutes for OEM honda filter

SpeedyGee and legend-ary like this.
  19. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Wow.. some of these things are actually not too expensive and certainly with car ownership being a long term thing, will pay themselves off after a single service. that torque wrench thou :Frown: but I don't know how to thank you enough for taking out time and supplying with these resources! :Hey:

AndyB1976 likes this.
  20. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Yeh defo, you might spend a fair bit of cash buying the tools but it pays off in the long term and doing it yourself you know youve done it properly, with a back street garage you don't really know what theyve done.

and no worries man, thats what these clubs/forums are about, help each other out. :Drinks:

legend-ary and AndyB1976 like this.