General Civic purchase

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nighthawk, Tuesday 12th Jul, 2016.

1. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    The other day, my family member Volvo S60 decided to flip its lid and break its steering mechanism - being a 13 year old car and only worth very little, I spent the day with them looking at brand new cars. After testing a lot of cars, they finally settled on a brand new 1.6 DTEC SR Civic fully kitted out in Metallic Twilight Blue with a delivery date of 11th July. I joked with the sales rep stating lets see if Swindon can pull that one off to which he laughed and said, yes, lets see, but they have them in stock.

Yesterday came and went. Honda called - "Slight delay at factory due to machine malfunction - it will be delivered Wednesday (tomorrow)"

Honda called again today - "won't be for another week - we accidentally ordered it as an estate and not a hatchback"

Lets see how long it actually takes for them to deliver the Civic. Knowing my family member however, it won't be too long before they cancel if this carries on.

MickyB and exec like this.
  2. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Not good enough!

I'm actually surprised that there isn't a car in stock pre-built.

Did the dealer offer immediately available stock at a discount (different colours, options etc.)?

3. Nighthawk Guest

He said there were some in stock - (just edited my original post) - checked on his system at the time of placing the order and I could swear blind it was a hatchback as he showed them (and me) the availability screen.

Would they have fully kitted out ones in stock or would they have just the basic cars lying around?. Tbf - he did say they were in stock before they started adding on the extra little bits they wanted. No idea if that makes a difference as I have never been involved with the purchase of new cars

4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

If they were accessories they wanted I always thought those were added by the dealer prior to collection?

Nighthawk likes this.
  5. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    :Pathead: are they for real!?

6. Nighthawk Guest

Then I have no idea to be honest.

Its not my battle to fight and knowing my family member, she won't take any rubbish from them. Lets see how this pans out but I must say - its disappointing. If the adding of accessories meant a delay or a need to build a fresh one (wiring etc), then I could understand that, but the SR comes pretty much kitted out electric wise from the factory is my understanding and if, as you say @FirstHonda , accessories are added by the dealer, then I don't see what the delay would be, unless of course they did indeed order the wrong design and not a hatchback, in which case, that is bordering unforgivable and incredibly poor customer service.

7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

A few years ago when I bought my VW Tiguan, I was visiting various dealers getting deal details etc.

A couple of VW dealers had shown me their 'stock availability' screen so I could get the biggest discount by buying something already in the country. It detailed the model, spec, colour, options etc.

I then visited a dealer who told me there were no discounts available, as there were no Tiguans in stock in the UK, limited availability, high demand blah blah blah.

I had to tell him that other dealers had shown me what was available, and that he was clearly lying. After a red faced moment, he told me that he'd have to raise it with VW UK as the other dealers had broken the rules. So, I asked to see the Dealer Principal as I wanted to know his view on one of his salesman lying to a customer...

...I was asked to leave!

I should have sent the VW warning signs really, although the dealer I did eventually buy from was great.

@Nighthawk

It sounds to me like they either did order the wrong vehicle or made a mistake on availability. What they SHOULD do is offer an extra discount or some free accessories as an apology and to ensure the sale goes ahead. I'd certainly press for that if I really wanted the car, anyway.

8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

What hope is there when this is what happens for a new car sale
    Definitely!

9. Nighthawk Guest

I did manage to sit in this gorgeous black FK2 however :Wub:. Still not going to order one though - HUK can go shove it and Il still take my money elsewhere :Whistle:

Incidentally - anyone notice the gearknob is not on straight and this is a showroom car? :lol:

20160706_101228.
    Cheers @FirstHonda - I am on the phone to her now to pass your advice on. :Thumbup:

Duc de Pommfrit and FirstHonda like this.
  10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Civics are hardly flying out of the showroom, so a bit of pressure - 'I'll go elsewhere if...' - won't do any harm.

To be fair to that showroom car, that could have been a kid trying to mess about and pull the gear knob off! Or it's just another example of the legendary Swindon attention to detail...:Whistle:

11. Nighthawk Guest

It could be - lets hope its the first option and just a kid being a destructive kid.

Message passed - she is all over your advice now, getting straight on the phone to them. She loves the idea of getting anything free. :Thumbup:

legend-ary and FirstHonda like this.
  12. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Tell her to be flexible on colour if she wants an even bigger discount!

Nighthawk likes this.
  13. Nighthawk Guest

Colour will be a sticking point - she is, how shall I say it - traditionally gender stubborn and once she has picked something, a tank wouldn't budge her :Whistle: but we shall see
    - - - Updated - - -
    @FirstHonda - cheers for your advice mate - appreciated. As mentioned, new car purchases are not my thing, I have never been lucky enough to be in the position to purchase a brand new car so I don't know the processes.

14. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

She could also point out that buying online will deliver an 18% discount from list...always a nice moment when the dealer realises you can buy elsewhere a lot cheaper but probably still get delivery from him!

- - - Updated - - -
    The websites won't allow their links to be posted, but from a Honda dealer I'd expect at least 12% discount at the moment. At least...
    - - - Updated - - -
    Or just buy brand new but pre-registered. There are PLENTY about...50 miles, right colour, right spec. Big discount.

Honda Civic 1.6 i-DTEC SR 5dr

legend-ary and Nighthawk like this.
  15. Nighthawk Guest

We are going to see a 2 month old pre reg SR Civic tomorrow. 8k off list price with 20 miles on the clock

legend-ary and FirstHonda like this.
  16. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I wonder how they are going to handle making Civics for the the whole world when they can't get this righ.

Seriously what is wrong with HUK?

Nighthawk likes this.
  17. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just read this with disbelief what is going on with Honda dealerships. This is shoddy practice and should be stamped out.
    Surely these cars are not made to order they must be somewhere in the first country ready for potential buyers and as @FirstHonda has said its then just a matter of the dealership putting in the extras which they could do on the pre handover inspections.
    Mind saying that when my HR-V was purchased by the first owner she ordered it with the full sport body styling kit, which included the front corner parts with integrated fog lights fitted.
    They sent the standard ones without the foglights and the dealership just fitted them, I presume the owner was either give some bull or offered some sort of extra with it I don't know.
    But it's marked down clearly on the order form which I still have to this day.

18. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    I have been seeing adverts if Civic a lot lately where Honda is advertising SR coming with £600 worth of SatNav included in the price. That along with 0% offers on Jazz and CR-V ...I Imagine them getting more orders than usual, seems like the dealerships are not trained to handle extra bit of work.

MickyB likes this.
  19. Nighthawk Guest

Family member is getting increasingly frustrated with the dealership now. Tried numerous times yesterday to get hold of the sales rep however he was constanstly busy and unable to call her back throughout the entire day. She feels like its a "Now that we have your business, our customer service stops here" kind of thing.

I smell a cancellation in the wind. - especially if this pre reg today is worth it. Worse case scenario is that she will go back to Volvo.

@legend-ary - the SR comes with satnav as standard fit

20. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

A pre-reg feels like a no brainer, especially if she likes the Civic.

Fingers crossed.