Engine & Gearbox Civic Type-R ep3 heavy misfire

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by khaks, Tuesday 23rd Oct, 2012.

1. khaks Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

sorry for any spelling or any other mistakes 1st time using the forum.

i bought a Civic Type-R 2005(55) it starts fine when cold in the morning but after about 10mins it'll start heavy misfire it would't hold the revs and it'll cut out if i try to accelerate i would'nt rev it pops and misfire badly. check engine light was on and it said camshaft pisition sensor i bought the car like that thinking its jus a cam sensor fault should be an easy DIY repair but it was'nt. changed the sensor but the problem was still there got the oil & oil filter changed new spark plugs, checked coil packs but nothing helped. then a mechanic told me it could be because of streached timing chain then i got the timing chain and tensioner replaced problem still there changed crankshaft sensor, knock sensor, opened the throttle body cleaned the idle control valve, but the problem is still there. car had sports exhaust manifold and decat. i put the standard manifold on it and the standard cat on it but still the same. i even took it to honda but they can't find anything. They said the only thing they can think of is that the timing is wrong. i took it back to the mechanic who done the chain for me he opened it again and done it again . by the look of it timing was ok camshaft pullys got markings on it and it was spot on.
    any idea wat could it be? any help would be great.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Khaks, it's customary for new members to introduce themselves in the Introduce Yourself • Honda Karma section. So head on over and let us know a little bit about yourself :Thumbup:

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

You seem to have tried a fair few different things to try and resolve this issue without success. Do youhave any information on the history of the issue ?
    Do you know what the previous owner tried or when and how the problem first occurred.

Any idea how old the timing chain was that came off (that's not going to be easy thing to tell TBH) ? Failing that could your mechanic tell you if there had been any work carried on in the time chain area, usually the chain cover is glued on well solid and you can see how old the sealant is on the cover.

The reason I ask, given everything that has been tried and the fact that Honda themselves couldn't find the issue, I'm wondering if work has been carried out on the head and the incorrect camshafts have been installed.

Stating the obvious here but it's definetely a timing issue. Your mechanic is confident the chain is installed correctly, it's a new chain and tensioner.
    Question is what is causing the timing to out.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Another thought I've had is maybe the VTC (Variable Timing Control) is stuck open, just thinking out aloud here. If it is open though you would think the ECU would sense this and adjust the spark timing accordingly :Unknown:

5. khaks Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The problem is i dnt knw the history of the car the person i bought this car off he bought it from some auction and doesnt knw how and when this problem started. Car has done 53k with service history. According to my mechanic who replaced the timing chain for me the chain was genuine and never been replaced and according to him it doesnt look like its been any work done on the head. I have got the cam sensors wiring checked out aswell its all good. I have opened and cleaned the sensor that measures the timing.(i dnt knw if its called VTC its on the side chain cover).

6. hondavtecr Trader

Chris Manchester
    What spark plugs are fitted?

7. khaks Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Have you tried fitting the NGK or denso plugs ?

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    VTC actuator is pretty vital component I'd it stuck it will will alternate timing regardless of the condition of the chain. What have the oil change history on this car . Has it been neglected ?

10. khaks Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No i dnt knw the history of oil chages i only have 3 stamps in the sevice book up untill 30k. I'll try new NGK plugs. How about genuine NGK Iridium IX spark plugs? R they any good ?

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just go for the standard ones you get or the EP3 no need for fancy plugs. I don't have access to the part catalogue at the moment but if you called Holdcroft honda they could sen them to you with free delivery. You will herbs good deal

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Any updates for us bud?

13. khaks Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

its still sat at a local garage.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This garage clued up on VTEC and is an Honda ethiusuaint. I don't want to come across as they don't know their onions .but few do really know how to troubleshoot a poorly VTEC engine. guys with no clue throw random parts and hope for the best.

That is not an ideal situation for you as you are paying for their experimentation