General Civic Type-R Meets Audi RS3 and BMW M3.....

Discussion in '9th Generation (2012-2017)' started by John Dickson, Tuesday 28th Jul, 2015.

1. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Civic Type RRRRRRRR !!!!!! Wooohooo !!! :party::BooYeah::OTT::dance::Happy:

3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    If he had kept that BMW tail in check, I reckon that would have taken the Type-R time, but not by much, certainly not enough to justify the huge difference in price.

Its good to see that the Type-R is yet again, destroying all competition of its era.

moob, John Dickson and DeviateDefiant like this.
  4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Much as that result pleased me, he really could have done better with that M3 lap.

5. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    He likes to turn all the stability assists off. Whether that included the +r on the Civic he didn't say (poor motor journalism) but it certainly scuppered the BMW lap!
    - - - Updated - - -
    I don't think he is the best of drivers

John Dickson and Nighthawk like this.
  6. Nighthawk Guest

Front wheel drive cars are generally easier to drive faster than a rear wheel drive car as they pull you out of trouble whereas rear wheel drive pushes you into it. Its fun sliding a rear wheel drive around but sliding kills timed laps. He didnt drive that BMW properly.

I was hoping to have seen the lap of the Type-R in that video :no:

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Oiiia hush ! It was a victory OK !

Look how much bad press Hondas usually get, so some good press shouldn't be shunned :Grin:

John Dickson, Zebster and Nighthawk like this.
  8. Nighthawk Guest

That BMW would break impressively anyway, the repair costs of which would be close to the purchase cost of the Type-R, so the Type-R is still a winner in my books, it will be quick AND reliable, whereas the BMW (Bring Mechanic With), is quick and unreliable.

John Dickson likes this.
  9. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    Have you got a link to the original Civic lap???

10. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'll have a look Chris and see if I can find it. This came up on Honda UK Facebook page.

It is nice to see some press in favour of Honda though as many journalists would've still tried to make the German cars come on top.

Nighthawk likes this.
  11. dinoc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Romania Bucharest
    Autoexpress put a comment on the video and explained the exterior video footage is not from the timed lap.
    And it seems to make sense you can't do a hot lap on 400hp car while having a Range Rover filming you from the front :Smile:

12. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Here you go and in typical motoring journalist style there had to be a minor criticism...... "The driving position is too high..."

- - - Updated - - -
    They could've tried to mount the camera on a Nissan GTR :lol::BooYeah:

13. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    cheers for posting. . enjoyed that :Grin:

14. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No probs @chris2982 probably should have posted that first but was drawn by the fact the Audi and BMW got :beaten:

chris2982 likes this.
  15. Nighthawk Guest

Civic sounds lovely I must say

16. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    He's an ex professional racing driver

17. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    who the f@@k is steve sutclife????
    never heard of him
    but heres the answer

Steve Sutcliffe (born in 1968) is a former British auto racing driver who now works as a motoring journalist. His first serious racing took place in 1993 in the Caterham K Series Championship, where he finished the season second in points. In 1998 he raced in the TVR Tuscan Challenge, finishing eighth. He finished fourth in the 1999 season, and sixth in 2000 with two poles and three race wins.
    In 2001 he got a drive in the British Touring Car Championship, replacing Thomas Erdos for the final two races at Brands Hatch, in a Lexus IS200 for ABG Motorsport/Total Motorsport.
    In 2007, Sutcliffe set competitive times around the National Circuit at Silverstone in Honda's RA 107 Formula One car, and managed speeds of 178 mph along the back straight. He did it in 48.58seconds compared to Honda F1 test driver James Rossiter 48.18 seconds

totally agree with you beefy he comes from the school of " loads of money " don't think he,s experience equals the drive in the honda formula 1 car unless he had bottomless pockets
    put the stig behind the wheel of those three cars and i think we would have a better idea of how they all really could perform

18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    This guy raced K20s before they were even-released, he's got to know his shit.

HondaHeritage likes this.
  19. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    glad to see someones on the ball :Wink:
    interweb is jam packed with mis information but its all true coz your computer sez so :eek: don't forget .wikipedia is the font of all knowledge

wake up and smell the coffee

DeviateDefiant likes this.