Suspension, Steering and Brakes Civic Type-R - Snapped Driveshafts

Discussion in '8th Generation (2006-2011)' started by candobill, Thursday 26th Feb, 2015.

1. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

over the past few months my son-in-law has came to me with his Type-R ( 2007 ) with problems e.g brakes discs usual stuff as he is always busy.
    in this period (December) he was stuck in Edinburgh with a broken nearside driveshaft, got him back to the workshop to find that the shaft had snapped in the middle at the rubber collar .
    just over a week ago he called me from Edinburgh to say his driveshaft was broke :happycrying: we got him back to the workshop to find the offside driveshaft was snapped in the same way at the rubber collar , whats the odds and has anyone else ever heard the same happening ???

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Is his CTR mapped ?

3. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

no mods just a car to him don't speed a lot mainly motorway driving

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Then that is rather unusual.

Are all the engine mounts all good ?

5. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I told him to go to his dealer but he feels he was fobbed off , I have kept the offside one but dumped the nearside one. both shafts showed rust under the rubber collar where they snapped I think it may have been trapping water as it was in use seems only explanation :Search:

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I did read about the powdercoating coming off an FN2 driveshaft and allowing it to start rusting away and then snapping - this is kinda insane.

I moved your discussion to the 8th Generation Civic section and made the title a little more concise :Smile:

7. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

thanks for that but I was trying to find out about any type of car/model in peoples past experience not just Type-R

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    bah European drive shafts in a Japanese cars, would in happened on car made in Japan supplied by NTN

9. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

you lost me there Ichiban :Unknown:

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This would not happen if that car was made in Japan as the components would have been from Japan, your CTR made here mean Eu parts.

11. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

ok are the bits made eu and assembled here or over in japan ?

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    95% of cars components for Swindon built cars is produced and source from the EU. Japan only sends few vital bits.

13. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

but design is Japanese I believe and that may have been the cause ?
    if you look at the advert I placed it shows a driveshaft same as snapped, if you look at the picture the break was inside the rubber part in the middle of shaft. when installed the clamp on the rubber is lower than the other side of the rubber, thus it is sealed tight at the lower end of the rubber. any water getting in to the top end of the rubber cannot get out so where does it go ?:Unknown: I think I have an idea :Wink:

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Japanese design yes if you did side by side comparison on these driveshafts from both areas you will see massive variation in quality. The European source driveshaft will be built to the same specification but never really is.

15. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

there is no way to deviate from what happened and what caused it to happen, if it is as I think then it should be looked at.
    the idea that it could happen regularly due to time lapsed from 2007 till time needed for the reaction caused now may become a serious issue.