General Civic vs Accord

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nighthawk, Tuesday 31st Mar, 2015.

1. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Ok, so I thought I would do a little comparison. We have had the Civic for a week now and the missus is slowly starting to fall for her :Happy:

What this means is that she likes drving it as it is smaller than the Accord which means I finally, finally, get my own car back which means that I can leave the seat and mirrors in the same position, my radio stations arent messed about it, and I can look after my clutch (she is awful with clutches, she really isnt a very good driver :blush: - im safe, she doesnt read these forums)

So, I drove the Civic for two days before she drove it, wanted to identify any serious issues that needed addressing before I let her or the kids go out in it. As there arent any serious issues, I let her take it out, but I thought it would be interesting to do a little comparison. After driving the Civic for a couple of days, getting into the Accord was just a completely different level of luxury.

Civic:
    - Small and nimble. Reminds me of a jack russell, happily bounces from one area to the next without even thinking about it, the rougher you are with it, the more it asks for.
    - Engine quietness (not really fair however comparing a diesel to a petrol however this engine is soo quiet at idle)
    - Solid ride - those shocks are newish on her, she is so planted yet controlled, I like that
    - Like the feel through the steering, it talks to you and lets you know what is happening
    - Noisy at speed
    - Lack of gadgets

ACCORD:
    - Il liken this to a middle aged Labrador that looks at the Jack Russel and thinks to itself - what the heck are you doing? Chill out, stay where you are, and calm down, Im coming slowly, I could rush there to, but there isnt any need.
    - The Accord handles well, but isnt obviously as nimble as the Civic. The diesel lump doesnt help its case much more on this either. I love the nimbleness of the Civic, but the Accord is just more relaxing to drive, its less urgent in its manners, whereas the Civic just wants more and more corners.
    - Cabin quality - materials, road noise is much less (ok, i have added sound proofing), its a more comfortable ride, suspension isnt as hard so it takes the bumps in its stride where as the Civic just bumps over them, in a controlled and safe way, in its over excited Jack Russell mentality.
    - Gadgets
    - More comfortable seats
    - Economy. Civic isnt bad, im getting mid to late 30s around town, and getting mid 40s out of the Accord on the same road at same speeds. Motorway trips just put the Civic to shame however
    - Power - So nice to get back in the Accord and have all that torque available for use. Apart from idle, you can't hear the diesel engine, but I do love the smoothness of the petrol
    - Brakes - The Accord brakes are so much better than the Civic, again however, this is not really fair at this stage as the brakes are in better condition on the Accord and I do not know the history of the Civic brakes and want to change them anyway. After fitting Ferodos to it and bleeding the system out, I am sure she will stop nicely, whereas, at the moment, she is a bit soft on her bite.

Overall, what do I prefer?

Depends on my mood if I am honest, the Accord is not designed for whipping around corners, however it has the power to pull out of them if it did, whereas the EP2 has the love for whipping around corners, but lacks the power to pull out of them nicely enough for me to sustain effective speed. I am sure an EP3 would have been able to tackle this little quam but that wasnt to be, at least the missus has a Honda and not a Toyota.

I prefer my Accord, she is a good girl, never done me wrong and she feels great to drive, so relaxing. As I drive a lot of different cars, I have not yet been in one which after driving it, I have not gotten back into my Accord and just been made to feel so nice, and the cars of late I have driven are significantly more expensive to.

I am considering an 8th Generation Accord, and I will go petrol

Busa1340r, MickyB, exec and 4 others like this.
  2. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good review @Nighthawk a very interesting read and gets both cars' cases over equally and without bias.

As a fellow Accord owner I'm in the same place as you - what on earth could I eventually replace the Accord with; other than a 9th Generation! :Hooray:

Ichiban and Nighthawk like this.
  3. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    Nice comparison mate. Though I would probably prefer the more refined Accord in the long run, I really do find the Civic FUN to drive. I can relate to your analogy of a Jack Russell :Smile:

Nighthawk likes this.
  4. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Nice comparison bud, I've driven my mums EU8 for a considerable amount of time, admittedly mine is a 6th Generation in poor condition vs your lovely 7th but my differences would be:

- 6th Generation Accord has better feedback on steering compared to the Civic
    - Accord is more willing to accelerate, not jumpy to the point where nothing happens after a few seconds (if that makes any sense?)
    - Civic has better economy, I get around mid 25, while she gets low 30s (and that include the mad school run)
    - Despite my OEM brakes compared to Civic cheapo ECP Pagids, her brakes are a LOT better than mine.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Well that's life in a nutshell, the Accord thinks for itself!

Nighthawk likes this.
  5. Nighthawk Guest

Oh, @RogerH69 , on a long journey, the Civic hasnt got a hope in competiting against the accord. The accord is a substantially quiter, comfortable and refined ride.

I am sure once I have changed the brakes on the Civic, she will brake nicely but at the moment, they are safe but do not bite as i like brakes to bite

6. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    I totally agree @Nighthawk . On my Civic, that's the only thing I miss from my Audi, the refinement and comfort on long drives, and I know the Accord's are way better in this department

7. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    The Accord is like a luxury car compared to a C segment car, mine is only an old 6th Generation, but I swear every time I have gone into my car after driving some new cars that supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread, like new Golfs, the Accord feels like a luxurious tank built to survive a nuclear holocaust, the materials are top notch and the build is just so solid and the drive is just as good, comfort and quiet when you want it to be, a screaming crazy animal and great fun when you put the pedal down. Is there any better all round car as the Accord?

Nighthawk likes this.
  8. Nighthawk Guest

The one thing which does surprise me about the Civic is how much room is inside of it, Honda did a great job of maximising the space inside a small (ish) body.

@exec - I don't know if there are any other cars, I drive quite a few different cars and havent found one yet that I prefer more than the Accord. I remember driving the 8th Generation in Australia when we almost emmigrated there (still makes me sad it never worked out in the end), and I loved the 8th Generation. My CN1 is still great, but someday it will come to change her, and if thats any time soon, then I will grab an 8th Generation 2.4.

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Good to read the views on this thread.
    For me, I only want to drive my Accord. I've felt like this since the first one in 1992.

Each time I've changed, they are better still. The big problem will be the next one. I am hoping that with the change of leadership at Honda, the 9th Generation will eventually come to the UK.

Hope you find the CU2 you're after @Nighthawk :goodluck:

Nighthawk likes this.
  10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Let's hope so ! Let's hope so !

11. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    Nice right up mate, I have driven my mates EP3, and found it a bit clunky, not as smooth as my CL9.

But my wife has a 57 plate Civic 1.8 VTEC. Thats an awesome little motor. :Smile: Nearly bought an FN2 instead of mine on the back of driving that, but picked up my CL9 for half the price of a Type-R, so bit of a no brainer!

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    EP3's are roar, totally different beast to an Accord. Bags of fun though.

Never really liked the FN2 as a Type-R but then again I haven't spent much time driving one. It may grow on me if it I gave more of chance.

13. Nighthawk Guest

Another one - realised last night as didnt pay too much attention before, the turning circle of the EP2 is horrific. The Accord is bigger and turns in smaller spaces than the Civic. I can pull into my driveway in one swing in the Accord avoiding bushes and walls whereas the Civic needs little corrections to get it in properly.

14. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    ^ I wonder what the suspension setup is on the fronts then, is it double wishes or mcphersons?

I think I am steering towards the 9g Corolla for my Uncle as the ep2 seems to have a lot of quirks, the EPS is rather offputting too.

15. Nighthawk Guest

I think its double wishbones on the Civic.

@exec - the 9th Generation corolla isnt a bad car at all. I drove quite a few Civic with EPS's, all of them felt different. I think the EPS has issues which Honda never quite resolved. The corolla uses normal hydraulic power steering

exec likes this.
  16. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I'm more and more veeirng towards the Corolla, although the practicality of the Civic 5 door is very appealing with the flat floor, large boot and interior and the gearstick being on the dash freeing up space on center console, the Civic are also cheaper to buy it seems, but there probably will be more lemons than good examples.

17. Nighthawk Guest

Personally, you can't go far wrong with a toyota if the Civic isnt ticking the boxes but then, i have a big car history with toyotas although their most recent ones have dropped seriously in quality

18. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Yeh the only big worry with the Toyota is that era of VVTI engines suffered from high oil consumption.

19. Nighthawk Guest

Also the bolts engaging the upper end VVTI (like VTEC) are prone to failure after a while. They sorted it with new bolts on the later models, but early ones could fail resulting in lots of valves pinging in directions you don't want them to ping in

20. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    do you know when they revised it? I believe the oil issue was also revised with new bore design, but not sure which year that would have been.