Accord/7th Gen cjfinno's Accord

Discussion in 'Project & Modification Logs' started by cjfinno, Monday 3rd Mar, 2014.

1. cjfinno Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

So thought i might as well start with the "standard as i bought it" pic. Had it over a week now, no problems apart from the engine revving by itself??!! Googled it seen a few videos about it. Then 3 days later it was fine again!!?? Saved me some dollar and grief at least.

mine.
    dgdsg.

Plans are 18"s or maybe 17"s not fully decided yet. Also Type-S kit is in the pipeline at somepoint. Need to save a bit first. Not much else, happy with the way it looks just think the wheels and kit would set her off a bit.

Look forward to joining in among the community and i'll be sure to be asking for advice in the future.

John Dickson likes this.
  2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    The 7th Gens look great in black, I haven't actually heard of the issue with the engine "revving itself", but I would suggest doing a throttle relearn process. From memory, turn the ignition on without starting the car, fully depress the throttle pedal, while still holding the pedal down, turn the ignition off, wait a few seconds and then back on again to the same position. Believe the dash lights will flash to confirm. Someone here will no doubt correct me if I've forgotten the procedure.

Nice pair of rims is a good start, looks like you have the optional mudguards installed which you don't see many of. There's tons of lip/bumper options out there for the Accord, I'd suggest looking at the Pre-Facelift A-Spec kit, there's also some Mugen replicas floating around on eBay for the Pre-Facelift at only a couple of hundred quid.

Welcome to the club, glad to have you join us.

3. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Looking good :Thumbup:I do like black cars, my previous car was black, proper P.I.T.A to keep clean though

4. cjfinno Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the welcome lads. Yeah it was between this one and a blue Type-S but it was down in Birmingham so was too far to go. Seemed to have solved the revving so that's a relief.

Found replica lip kits on ebay so reckon i could stretch to one of them. Wheels i fancy are the wolfrace bavaro, fox ms006 and the Civic Type-R FN2 wheels. The Civic ones are appealing to me more atm as u can get a full set off ebay for around £400 where as the wolfrace/fox wheels are £800/£900 with decent tyres.

Just have to keep saving!

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Those replica kits can be a bit of a bugger with fitting at times, but they do the job and look the part. Not that hard wearing, but then neither are the genuine articles.

The Wolfrace Bavaro's are nice rims, but I don't think they suit the Accord at all. The MS006 are really popular wheels with the "young" crowd. MS005 are worth a look too. Looking at used OEM rims in general with part-worns, you can pick them up dead cheap, £200-400 a set depending on what you go for.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Welcome along bud new ride! I have been working on my old 2.0 tourer and its developed erratic idling yet again within 15 months of the last occurance..its now surfacing as the first really annoying and irritating bug which is fixable but many will throw the towel as it a hard one to pin point the trigger....but I have managed to find the answer :Grin:

i'll post my findings shortly in a separate, but all I can say to all 2.0 petrol owners STOP USING ANY SUPERMARKET FUELS at ONCE . Especially the yellow supermarket one it has more water than petroleum based derived fuel.

Leo the idle learn procedure is a bit more than what you have said but its listed in my thread on the EGR plate clean thread.

cjfinno likes this.
  7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Thought as much, link for reference.

8. cjfinno Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the link, did see a guy doing it on youtube . Fortunately it seems to be cured itself for the meantime!

Think maybe the clutch is starting to give seems to growl sometimes when selecting first. Just randomly, hadn't done it for a couple of weeks but then did it twice this morning!

Planning to order wheels maybe this wknd, not going to let tell you what i've plumped for you'll just have to look in this topic to see!

Eibach springs and Type-S kit then and she'll be done. Also seen one of the lads on here had a Razo carbon gearknob. Really fancy one of them but have to import it for around £50. Look really smart and think it suits the carbon fiber in the car already.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Can you elaborate a bit on the clutch growling at you? (EDIT: That sounded weird :Laughing:)

Before mine went last year reverse and 1st became quite hard to get into and she'd occasionally grind. What's the mileage? If you're approaching or sitting above 100k it's likely that the clutch is on its way out.

Keen to see what you end up with :Niceone:

10. Jordan Banned ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

York
  11. cjfinno Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not been on for long bloody hectic at work and not got nothing more done to the car.

DeviateDefiant, the clutch is more like a whine than a growl. It didn't do it for a few weeks then done it twice this week? Still finds each gear fine though. Mileage is 96k so likely will need doing at some point soon.

Still deciding what to do with wheels/kit etc as the wife drives it as well and she's not really aware of crunching wheels or bodykit off kerbs if its lowered! Maybe have to buy her a corsa and keep the Accord for my cruisin!

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Does the clutch "growl" just as you let it up to engage first gear ?

13. cjfinno Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes SpeedyGee, just whenever it feels like it once every 2/3 weeks seems to be the way of it!

So, latest on the wheels is i won these yesterday, some 18" storms they've just been powder coated and just need some decent rubber for them now! Delighted because they're not that easy to get hold of. Just wondered do i need to get new studs to fit or will my original ones do the job?

Kit next and maybe some springs see how it goes. Also got a skunk racing gearknob last week so its a bit better than the old original!

000001.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 18th May, 2014
  14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Those Storms will look pretty special on your black Accord.
    An eye catcher for sure :Photographer:

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That'll be the release bearing. Nothing to worry about, it may just go away with the warmer weather. Mine did it for a long while. Stopped doing it now.

To fix it you basically have to fit a new clutch ... if your clutch is fine then it's not worth it, just ignore it.

Nice Storms BTW, look forward to seeing them on the car.

16. cjfinno Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ah thats good news, wasn't really wanting to fork out for a new clutch just right now!

So wheels came home on wed, got stuck to my tyre guy yesterday for some Avon ZZ5's £95 a corner....ouch. Better that then some dodgy budgets, had fullruns on my last mazda 6 they were lethal. Fitted the wheels today in the wind and rain but never got any pics as she's dirty and the weather was shite!

Saving up for a lip kit now its next on the list, still not sure about lowering as i live on an island and going on the boat can be precarious with lowered/kitted cars. Also plannin some tints as i do it as part of my job so it'll be a saving as it'll cost me nowt!

Hopefully get some up tomorrow after a wash and if the weathers being good to me.

17. cjfinno Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Been googling chips for my car and found ones on ebay for £116 and ones on a UK site for £90. Usual kind of gains of 10-15%. Anyone chipped their accord and are they any good?

18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

In a word, don't. Most of these chips actually do sod all, the others just fool various sensors into making the engine do things it probably shouldn't. If you want to tune your car, go the proper route.

19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

20. cjfinno Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

2014-05-27 19.23.36. Cheers for that lads. Not be bothering with that. I was on bluefin and superchip but they don't have one for the accord unfortunately.

Here is some pics with the new rims and a quick wash the other night.

tUMi, Ichiban and DeviateDefiant like this.