General CL9 2.4 Type-S oil sump leaking (corrosion)

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by n13ldo, Monday 18th Jul, 2016.

1. n13ldo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom n13ldo Glasgow
    Hi all,

The oil sump (oil pan) appears to be leaking on my Accord - certainly lots of flakey metal coming off it. No oil above the sump on the engine.

Is the guide for the 2.2 CTDi on here pretty much the same procedure for a 2.4 petrol? Not sure if I can do that much disassembly on the road outside the house. My garage is too full of motorbike stuff to get the car in to work on.

Also, has anyone ever found a PDF service manual for these models? I do have the HTML version but would really appreciate a PDF...

Thanks for reading.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The sump is not porous buddy you need to find the oil leak, or you have a pin leak. PDF workshop manuals for the 7th Generation was never made buddy, they were all web based.

I could knock a pan removal and install guide up for you if you like.

wow its best worth doing with the engine out.

upload_2016-7-18_18-14-47.

n13ldo likes this.
  3. n13ldo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the info. Will get a local garage to do the work.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @SpeedyGee any short cuts you know?

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    It's not an easy job, you'd need an engine crane to pull the engine up (whose going to have the special engine hanging tool huh). Probably easiest to let a garage sort it out.

n13ldo likes this.
  6. n13ldo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks guys. Garage job it is.

7. n13ldo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Car booked in for Thursday. Mechanic says that this is quite common for this age of Honda (11 yrs). Cause - the excessive salting of roads up here. Our local council (East Renfrewshire) sends the gritters out if the overnight temperature is 4c or less. This is normally most days between end of October through to mid March. This year they were still gritting well into April.

Back in the eighties my first car (don't laugh) was an 1.5 Austin Allergro (brown with vinyl roof) on a P reg (1979 I think). Quite rusty but solidish. A friend, my brother and I took a road trip holiday to Torquay in it. Was amazed at the lack of rusty Allegros of the same age kicking about down there. Another occasion of salt errosion is a Honda VFR I had, ran it through 2 winters. One day went to get the bike out of the garage to discover coolant all over the floor. Both side radiators outlets had been eaten away by the salty water from the commutting.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Common really never ever seen this , but I thoroughly wash my undercarriage ever year so I won't see this type of corrosion thou. That is some excessive salt laying in your area lol :Blink::Messed::crazyeyes::shock:

Bikes and salt never get along do they !! its wrecked so many bikes its unreal. I cover all my bikes in winters with ACF-50 and no matter what hits the bike corrosion is put at bay. You may want to coat your cars and bikes on this mate.

ACF-50-quart.

n13ldo likes this.
  9. n13ldo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bikes get hibernated for the salty season. Will do the Accord though.

NottsBiker and Ichiban like this.
  10. n13ldo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just a follow up. Garage have confirmed the sump is corroded and leaking. Visible when engine is running (as pressure is up). £99 for OE quality replacement sump, total bill will be £244 (Oil, filter, sealer, labour + VAT). They said that engine is dry as bone everywhere else (on the outside).

Best outcome I reckon. No backache for me :Smile:

11. Bounder Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    Northumberland north is death for vehicles of any type.
    I have heard some unreal stories about rust in Scottish cars, Landcruisers with leaky diffs where the cast iron diff had rusted through!
    I was looking at Mondeo estates at the same time as the Accord estates and I remember one on Autotrader that was white and the sills were orange with rust, the pic of the engine showed every single bolt was corroded.
    Fine salty mist from the roads must play havoc with electrical systems as well.

12. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Once my Monster is built it ain't seeing any salt.

Wish there was another way of keeping our roads clear in the child weather which didn't trash your car :Frown:

13. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    There are quite a few other things that work better and aren't corrosive, but common/rock salt is by far the cheapest.

14. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    How do other countries manage and what do they use? I know that Japanese cars don't suffer in the same manner

15. Bounder Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    Japanese cars can be as bad or worse depending on where in Japan they come from. The ones that come in as Imports are generally inspected and any rusty ones deemed not worth importing.
    Northern Japan is also bad for salt.

16. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
  17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Not entirely correct in Japan since the 1980's they have been using an biodegradable de-icing agent made of Calcium Chloride, beet juice and calcium magnesium acetate which is safer to cars and non toxic to humans, animals, and aquatic life. The Japanese government did a long term study in the 70's to see the effects of Sodium Chloride (Salt) and it effects on the environment and found they needed to make an alternative.

We on the other hand are still quite happy to mine the mines in Cheshire and destroy everything is the name of cost.

Zebster likes this.
  18. Bounder Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork