Accord CL9 v Bmw/skoda

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kris81, Monday 12th Oct, 2015.

1. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Had a good day today driving the accord.
    Me and 2 friends went to a meet at York (about 50 miles away for me).
    We started off really sensible then after about 5 miles my friend with his BMW 530i sport went for it!, so I dropped a couple of gears and went past my other mate in his 3rd Generation octavia vrs 2.0T.
    To say I was the slowest on paper there wasn't any massively embarrassing moments I'd say I was on par with the vrs all day long but the beemer just had us pipped with its extra power.
    But over all I was very happy with my CL9 as price wise I paid 2k 2 years ago and the BMW was 14k and skoda was 7.5k recently.
    Power wise I'm 188bhp, vrs 197bhp and the BMW 258bhp!.
    Mileage I'm at 149k, vrs 50k and BMW has done 36k.
    And the CL9 is 6 years older than the oldest of them two.
    But competivness aside, we all had a great day out driving our cars and looking at some nice cars too!

K24 CL9 GUY likes this.
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    With your planned mods you'll them all easily.

Yes I've found that too, although I gave one (BMW 530i) a real hard time the once, he only just crept passed me in the end.

Having said that, of course we here at HondaKarma don't condone street racing. What you and I are talking about is a little bit of straight line acceleration all with the legal confines of the law :Whistle:

K24 CL9 GUY likes this.
  3. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ha ha, yeh that's what I meant!
    Only problem is once my mate remaps the skoda he is gonna be the straight line kiddy!

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

The difference is his VRS has been designed for speed in the first place, your CL9 isn't.

An Accord Type-R on the other hand is a totally different beast ! I bet an old well kept ATR would have a VRS easily.

Nighthawk likes this.
  5. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Yeh good point.
    I thought it was an interesting mix of engines aswell, N/A 4 cylinder, turbo, N/A 6 cylinder.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Both the other two have a torque advantage over the CL9 but the VTEC system nearly cancels that advantage out.

I know in my case I was so neck and neck with the Beamer I was quite pleased. Should have seen the look on the BMW drivers faced. He was not pleased in the slightest that an old Honda was giving him a hard time. I got that look off him LOL

legend-ary, Nighthawk and Kris81 like this.
  7. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

My mate just had all his brakes changed at BMW, discs and pads all round.
    I couldn't get my head around how much he was charged...............£990
    He loves his beemer!

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

You could get a top notch BBK for your CL9 for that much LOL

9. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It will.

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Well you would say that wouldn't you :taunt:

11. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    No one will probably believe this but I've beaten an e46 m3 cabrio off the lights, i've also noticed I can keep up with a lot of more powerful cars, in the real world you need at least significantly more than double the power to leave someone properly behind, a Bentley GT for example, those things are seriously quick and you wouldn't think so looking at how big and heavy they look, once had one pull up and with a e92 m3 next to it and both went for it, the Bentley vanished, the M3 was only 2 car length ahead of me.

The other thing with VTEC is you really need to be on the ball with gear change otherwise you will get left behind, all these other cars are much more effortless in driving them, you have power on tap and don't need to work for it much.

I need to buy an ATR, that would be bags of fun. :vtec:

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

You mean the power is spread across a wider rev range.

My VTEC kicks it at 4900 so not so bad on that front.

13. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Aye, you put your foot down and you got power and torque from low rev, and straight six engines are also effortless in power delivery. With 4 pot VTEC you are ringing it at high RPM's and your gear change has to be bang on to keep in the VTEC band otherwise if you drop out you will be left for dead! But these cars are all about driver involvement and fun, which is why I like them, very rewarding when you hit the redline and shift at the right time, takes more skill and effort.

14. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

@SpeedyGee when you were playing with the 530i, had your car been remapped?

As mine hasn't yet, so I'm dropping out of the VTEC point when I change gear.

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I've got a TSX ECU and FlashPro, so I'm running a basemap with CT Engineering intake, Weapon R Header and a custom cat 2.5" exhaust.

VTEC is around 4900 RPMs so that's what my advantage is over a stock CL9 I think I must be around the 215 BHP mark.

16. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Did u go up against the beemer with all ur mods though?

17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Yes

18. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Guy Gloucester
    The list I have beaten in mine is epic against cars I wouldn't have thought would have had a chance against :Smile: Definitely need to get rid of the stock map the @littlebo reflash I had done on mine really transformed how mine performed. Staying in the Tech is the one :Tongue:

19. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Yeh, I'm busting to get the littlebo map, nearly did a few months back then work looked iffy and since then I've not had the spare cash.
    I'll get it one day! And his header hopefully too!

K24 CL9 GUY likes this.
  20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

The LittleBo remap is worth getting if you don't plan any more mods.

If you are planning further mods then best to go the FlashPro route and get a proper map done for your car when you have finished mapping.