Detailing Clay bar replacement

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by RobsyUK, Wednesday 23rd Mar, 2016.

1. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    When I first started to use a clay bar I asked the guys on the meguires stand how do I know when it runs out?

They replied you'll know and I never did.

I use very diluted shampoo as the lubricant and today noticed my clay bar just crumbled.

It's unusable and I'm wondering. Has it finally rub out or has the shampoo ruined it?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    What ratio of shampoo to water were you using ?

3. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Couldn't tell you. It was probably 50ml to the rest of the spray bottle (275ml?)
    A splash of 1 and then filled with water

4. wanner69 Detailing & Styling Trader

Wirral
    Clay should be pliable, not crumble away therefore i think its had it for whatever reason

5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I prefer to use just water but yes, it's time for a new one.

6. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Oh it crumbled so much I had to stop half way on the bonnet and bin it.
    Now the car looks weird

7. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

There is lubricant spray you can use with your clay bar

If crumbled then it's done . When storing put in an air tight container and keep It in its wrapping.

8. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    I recommend Bilt Hamber clay, marvellous stuff.

ukcl9, Nighthawk and FirstHonda like this.
  9. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

:whathesaid:

10. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I do keep it in a bag within the meguires box (sorry it's all I use!)
    I use the megs spray normally but ran out.
    And I did suspect it fell apart once all used up but figured I'd ask first

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would definitely recommend Meg professional range of BH which in my eye is a poor bar, try working that in winters you will need to boil a kettle to make it malleable.

Megs pro is mild and it will not mar the paint just use soapy water and you will see a massive difference. Honda paints are soft and they work best with mild stuff, even the tub is far superior to BH.

Personally I would use BH to clean my bog...harsh but straight up.

upload_2016-3-29_15-45-57.

Duc de Pommfrit likes this.
  12. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

Use the BH soft bar in winter, drop in your bucket of warm soapy water you've just washed the car down for a few minutes and you're away. BH clay is the SAS of the clay world.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    They didn't use to be 8-9 year ago when they landed I tried them then and they were crap never went back.

14. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

I've been using it for about five years, still got the first tub I bought, in fact used the last of it at the weekend along with a soft bar.

I think the vast majority on detailing world use BH.

15. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I've used Megs clay and I've used BH.

I now ONLY use BH as I find the results excellent - like most of their products IMHO.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good for them they must have learnt form their early mistake they were crap back then and still had this aura of we are chemical gurus just got my goat to then slyly introduced changes after they got slated.

17. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Oh god what have I started? :Wink:

18. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

@Ichiban

I remember the first pot of BH AutoBalm I bought, maybe 15 years ago when they did mail order.

The results were great - when you got the technique perfect - but God help you if you put on slightly too much or left it slightly too long on the paintwork.

It just wasn't user friendly at all. Go forward a few years and the next pot was so much easier. They have certainly learned that great results have to be easy to obtain.

Now, I need another pot to use next Winter, and I've been a convert to their stuff for ages. Their Aqua Wax that I sometimes use is super quick with excellent results. And their wheel cleaner is by far the best I've used - and I've used a few over the years.

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Mate the clay was just too abrasive and too hard I was marring the paint at low pressure I am fully versed with clay and how abrasive they can be if the wrong technique is used. BH only came out with hard clay and was a pile of shyte. I won't go back into history and what BH did to limit damage to itself and on forums but for many including me it was once bitten twice shy.

Good luck to them.

wanner69 likes this.
  20. wanner69 Detailing & Styling Trader

Wirral
    Who uses clay bars nowadays anyway lol, I've ditched the usual BH clay bars and moved onto the G3 clay mitts. They do a great job and are miles quicker than traditional bars. I do use a piece of clay bar occasionally for the small tight areas though