Detailing Cleaning day is finally here!

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by FirstHonda, Sunday 4th May, 2014.

1. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

So, today is finally the day for a full clean of my Accord. I've got so many products, but today I've decided to go (almost lol!) with majority one brand and see what the results are like.

Plan is:

- Wash with Bilt-Hamber autowash. Been using this as my wash of choice for a while and been impressed.
    - Clay with Bilt-Hamber auto clay regular. Again, have used this before and been pleased with the results.
    - Pre-wax treatment with Bilt-Hamber cleanser polish. Not used this before, usually rely on Megs or Swissvax for this stage. Will be interested to see how easy it is to use and quality of result.

I will then either add in some Megs #7 Pro show car glaze or not depending on how I'm feeling, and how deep and crisp the reflections are after the BH cleanser polish. I always use this on the MINI (solid red and black) after Swissvax paint cleanser. Not really necessary but it does add that certain something...:Smile:

As it is Summer (I hope!) I've decided to forego the Megs Pro sealant (I was going to use this and top with either P21s or Swissvax BoS) and use Bilt-Hamber Hydra wax to finish. Although this is very quick and easy to use, it seems to be pretty durable and the twice I've used it (without full paint prep) I've been pleased with the finish.

Glass will be done with Dodo menthol. Wheels with Swissvax Autobahn (they had a good few coats before they went on for the first time, this stuff is awesome IMHO). Tyres with Megs tyre gel.

I'll have a go at the engine bay today if I get time or, more likely, tomorrow...

Wish me luck, I'm going in...Tally Ho! :OTT:

2. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    That's an impressive arsenal of products. Sounds like a full day jobby.

Looking forward to seeing the results. Enjoy.

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Have fun.Pics or it didn't happen.

FirstHonda and DeviateDefiant like this.
  4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Looks like a comprehensive process you're got laid out there.
    Can't wait to see the results, and read how the products perform.

Hope your arms don't ache too much, and that you've had your Weetabix :Smile:

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Thorough plan of action, interested in seeing the results! Especially the BH Hydrowax.

6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Ok, having started at 08.00am I have now run out of steam (!!) but am very pleased with the results. Unfortunately, the 'photos don't really do it justice - the result of bright sunlight and my 10 year old HP digital camera which is only 4 megapixels...:Grin:

In the end, I went for the following products:

Wash, Bilt-Hamber autowash.
    Front areas (bonnet/bumper) pre-treated with Autoglym Active Insect remover.
    Clay, Bilt-Hamber regular (lubricates with water, and is excellent stuff)
    Glass, Dodo Menthol with Autoglym glass polish for the windscreen first
    Trim, Chemical Guys new look trim gel (excellent product, been my favourite for this task for ages)
    Paint prep, in the end used Bilt-Hamber micro-fine paint conditioner. Very easy to use, and good result.
    Wax, Bilt-Hamber Hydrawax. Again, very easy and works exceptionally well on silver, really brings out the flake in the sun. Wonderful!
    Chrome, Megs All Metal polish
    Wheels, Swissvax Autobahn. Great but expensive...but the Sigmas deserve it!
    Tyres, Megs tyre gel. Best of its type I've used.
    Arches, pre-treated with Megs APC, then dressed with Swissvax Pneu.
    Engine bay plastics, Swissvax plastic restorer.
    Door shuts, engine bay paintwork and inside sunroof, Megs Cleaner Wax. This has been my saviour on many occasions over the years for use on these types of areas. Well worth having in your kit IMHO.

HPIM0430.JPG HPIM0431.JPG HPIM0433.JPG HPIM0434.JPG HPIM0435.JPG HPIM0436.JPG HPIM0437.JPG HPIM0438.JPG HPIM0439.JPG

I think I need to go and sit down now :Smile:

A couple of tips that I picked up years ago when I had my new MINI detailed by pros before going to shows (and spent ages watching them and talking to them!). They may not work for everybody (and I'm not going to pretend that they are "right") but I've found them useful over the years...

When claying (with BH clay, anyway, as water lubricated), break the clay up into small pieces before you start, and keep it in a small bowl in water. Less chance of dropping it (and having to throw it away) and if you DO drop a piece, then you still have the rest to use.

Use an APC on tricky areas prior to washing - areas such as arches and sills. Saves SO much time later on.

If you are making a day of it, keep the drive damp - helps to keep grit/sand etc. away from the bodywork, and if you drop a cloth less temptation to pick it up and use it again!

And the final, most useful tip of all. Before you start, make sure that the trainers you are going to wear don't have a hole in them, otherwise you'll end up with wet feet for ages...:Rolf: I'll definitely remember that one for next time...

Last edited: Sunday 4th May, 2014
    legend-ary, Chunkylover53 and Nels like this.
  7. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Going to try the dodo menthol

8. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    Looks like you deserve your sit down, well done it looks superb.
    Mike c

9. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

One word:

Friggin' awesome! :Hooray:

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Excellent job mate, loving those gleaming Sigmas. Think it needs a sealer or another wax layer over the top for that slick wet look to it :Smile:

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Superb job ! :GiveRose:
    You've earned your keep today.
    When you've had a rest tonight, can I bring mine round tomorrow ? :Wink:

FirstHonda likes this.
  12. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks - it did come up very well. My "daily drive" will get that sort of treatment at least once a year, usually twice, with regular cleans and wax top up in between, and/or using a protection quick detailer (Dodo Red Mist my favourite, but using Bilt-Hamber at the moment - not one of their best products IMHO, though).

I know what you mean about the "wet look" - although the 'photos don't really do the finish justice. I find the finish with Bilt-Hamber products is quite clinical - their Autobalm is the same - but the ease of application and durability is excellent. You can (sort of) see from the 'photos that the finish is deep and the reflections are perfect, but it lacks some "warmth", which is how I like my cars to look (I love to see a paint finish that "glows") rather than "wet." I think I need to get out more...!

P21s will be added over the top over the next few weeks. Over the years I have always come back to it as, even though it is not at all durable :Angry:, it does add the warmth on silver that I like, even slightly darkening the finish and bringing out the flake even more. Just a great product, always make sure I have a pot in my cleaning kit :Thumbup:

13. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ Ha ha. No you can't or I won't ever get anything else done! That sort of thing happens a lot, and I find it hard to resist a car that looks like it can be "brought back." Spent a weekend a few years ago doing my sister's Audi A4 which hadn't been cleaned for 2 years (!!), so that it could be traded in for the best price. Got it looking superb (although it nearly killed me) and the dealer paid top dollar as the car was "obviously so well cared for." :Whistle:

I haven't even done the MINI this year yet, although as she never goes out in the rain not really a big priority...

14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Well, since you've still got the mini to go, I'll wait for another day. :Grin:

15. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Superb job @FirstHonda .Looks really good, bet those Sigma are pain to clean.Do you use a small brush on them?
    Wish I had time to do mine, ,its filthy.

16. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ Zoran, I use a very soft brush (it is actually soft material rather than bristles) with Bilt-Hamber auto wheel. It's good stuff, takes all the work out of cleaning wheels, but I'd advise not to leave it on for more than 2 minutes.

Then finished with Swissvax Autobahn. It is expensive, but lasts for ages - my current pot is 4-5 years old and still fine. Smells lovely too :Bye: When it runs out I'll probably look for a much cheaper alternative TBH. Will need to scan the Detailing World forum for recommendations.

Swissvax UK

The Sigmas weren't actually as bad to clean as I feared...:Smile: My standard (Winter) wheels came up pretty well too!

HPIM0442.JPG HPIM0443.JPG

17. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have two brushes for wheels similar to that. I use poorboys wheel sealant and happy with it.

PeteMM likes this.
  18. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I need to get a soft brush like that.
    Fed up of scraping the back of my hands on the discs and calipers.

19. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    :GoodJob: Looks fantastic.

It's always satisfying when it's finished and you stand back and admire your work.

20. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

It is good, but I actually prefer the Megs Perfect Clarity for glass. The old AutoGlym glass polish is still worth using for stubborn marks when a bit more is needed, but it IS hard work and produces so much damned dust! :Nuked: