Body, Paint & Styling clear coat peeling under sensor

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Tim Martin, Thursday 19th May, 2016.

1. Tim Martin Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Tim Hertfordshire
    Hi all,

I've noticed that underneath one of my rear reversing sensors on the bumper the clear coat has peeled off 3-4 cm. Weird, the colour is still there. If i were to try and describe the look, its like the invisible coat over the paint that gives the shiney look has just gone and peeled off..

Is this something honda could sort easily - i don't want someone sucking air through their teeth and telling me the whole rear bumper needs a respray, not that im a sceptic or anything...

its not a big issue , the area affected is fairly small and if its a cheap fix ill get it done..
    happy to provide a photo if it helps give a better impression

Best regards
    Tim

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Is the car still under warranty?
    Did you buy her from a Honda dealer?

3. Smokingman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Lincoln
    My Accord tourer which is not under any warranty, I had a similar issue by the roof bar rails along with a ding on the bumper (was there when I brought the car) local body shop charged £200.

Nels likes this.
  4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

It's good to have these things sorted out.
    Better still if it's covered under warranty.

5. Smokingman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Honda's approved repairer quoted me £600 just for the bit by the roof rail when asked why so much, I was told window out, head lineing out, roof rail off and respray and replace bits.

John.

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Did your repairer do all of this?

7. Smokingman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

No. But that's the difference between approved and not. But I think it had been repaired previously on that quarter as slight spray on window rubber which was there before.

8. Tim Martin Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes the approved second hand car I bought from Brayley Honda in St. Albans came with 12 month warranty.
    I have until December .:
    won't they likely say it's been caused by me driving or something ? I can't prove otherwise although the nature of the damage is not a scratch...

9. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I'd give it a try. Nothing ventured and all that...and if there is no obvious damage, your claim should be stronger.

I'd suspect that the area has had a previous repair though.

Photos would be useful.

Nels likes this.
  10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Be polite, but clear.

11. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The clear coats come off due to it being repainted I believe. That's what I've been told. My accord had it and my wife's got it really bad and is getting repaired for £300 for the front and rear bumpers of here nissan note. The paint underneath is totally fine. Weird.

I always wondered if it was caused by the £3 car wash pepole. I took my accord a few times and the wifes only get done by them. My brothers mates BMW has it too but I don't know the age as it's on a private plate.

12. John Hamer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Waltham Abbey
    Car wash! too much pressure on the gun, they got no idea!! Also look for scratches on the bonnet after they attack it with the squeegee. There is a moral to this story

13. Tim Martin Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I don't use a car wash. I do use a pressure washer but not up close.. Picture attached

Attached Files:

14. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Sorry to say, but to me that looks like it has been repaired with the sensor 'masked off' rather than removed. That has likely led to the 'peel' you are now seeing as a proper repair would have removed the sensor, sprayed, then re-fitted. I could be wrong though...

As you have an 'approved' used I'd take it back to the dealer and make your case. It shouldn't be like that, you paid for the approved warranty, so be firm and polite but clear that you expect it to be rectified.

Push a bit when they initially say no, too...express disappointment with their service, that sort of thing. Hint that you will review them badly online...:Wink:

Nels likes this.
  15. Tim Martin Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok I'll give it a go
    Would your tactic be to go direct to salesman who sold to me or rather direct to service centre?
    i hate dealing with sales guys I'll be honest

16. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Service Manager