Engine & Gearbox Clucth Slip

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Iain, Tuesday 16th Apr, 2013.

1. Iain Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hello,
    My 2008 FR-V is suffering from intermittent clutch slip and a thud on initial start up. The thud feels like someone is thumping the engine with a hammer and shakes the car. Now I only bought the car at the end of last year from a Honda dealer so comes with the standard 12 month Honda warranty. I went to my local dealer to see what they had to say and yes they would take a look and send the evidence away to Honda to authorisation of the warranty claim if it is deemed that it is due to a manufacturing fault, if not then I will be left with the replacement cost. I have emailed the dealer who I bought the car from and am awaiting their reply. Of note I live 240 miles away from the dealer that I bought the car from so a simple visit is not that easy. What else should I do? any thoughts? I did my research before I bought the car and am aware of the potential problems with the diesel which is why I bought an approved one from Honda!!

Iain

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Iain,

Sorry to hear about the clutch issues , what you are experiencing is a failed or about to fail DMF. What the dealer has told you is accurate for them to make the proper assessment they need to strip and look at it. If the examination reveals a manufacturing defect then its in your favour. If not then you may have to speak to Honda Customer service for some sort of gesture of goodwill to lessen the blow.

3. Iain Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thankyou for your quick reply. I thought that was the case. I take it that the fact it is under warranty until the end of the year means little then? I am a little disapointed to be honest as the car only has 46000 miles on the clock and I bought it low mileage example as I need to keep it for a few years yet!! I do love my Honda though!

4. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Oh dear i have 137K on my FR-V.
    I'm going to have nightmares of it all going wrong leaving me with a £1000+ bill. Although I'd rather DIY it than pay anyone £1000!

5. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I think if you have a Honda Warranty, you can take it to your nearest dealer?

6. Iain Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have taken it to my nearest dealer and what they have said is that they will gladly look at it and take it apart. Then they will take pictures to send off to Honda to see if they will honour the warranty claim if not then I will end up paying for a new clutch and if the DMF is out of spec then a grand for one of them also!!

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The I-CTDI cars do end to inflict damage to their pressure plates first if the car is driven spirited mode in the narrow band of power constantly or pulling caravans.

You have to appreciate all warranties doe not cover wear and tear so if the clutch is found to be worn then it won't be covered.

when does your car go into the dealers for the strip down they will know in a few hours what the the problem is? ask them for pictures and if you can post them here that will help.

8. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Clutch is wear and tear nothing much you can do about that. If you plan to keep the car for a few years you might as well get it done. Spread the cost on a 0% card over 12 months to help a bit.

9. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not a Honda but it may be of some help when arguing your case.
    I had a Skoda Superb and the DMF packed up at 32k and that was replaced under warranty.

10. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Surely even wear and tear items are expected to have a reasonable lifespan?

11. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

13. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Best keep my fingers crossed for the couple of thousand miles in France with the caravan on the back :Frown:

14. Iain Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well thanks to all for the advice I will be taking the car in some time this week or next. Will see if I can get some photos of the disasembly and pop them up here!

Iain