General Clunk from the rear of my '07/08 Accord Tourer Exec Auto 2.4

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by foxleys, Thursday 25th Jun, 2015.

1. foxleys Premium Member Club Supporter

England Jersey
    Hi
    I get a sort of clunk from the rear of my Accord, one of those intermittent ones.

At last service (Sept'14) it disappearance for 2/3 months, but returned.

Has anyone had this clunk?

Could it be a loose exhaust fitting?

My car has the luggage nets & I was wondering if it might be that.

I am finding it very hard to pinpoint!

Any hints greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    The anti-roll bar bushes would be the first thing I'd check... get underneath and give the ARB a good tugging to see if there is any looseness in the clamp bushes. Also check the droplinks at the ends of the ARB, as the ball joints on each end can wear badly (and even fall apart).

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  3. foxleys Premium Member Club Supporter

England Jersey
    Many thanks Zebster, I'll look tomorrow..............

I don't know much about oily bits & but I thought the front had ball joints, not the rear.

Note I live in Jersey, 40mph limit and has only done 42k miles.
    Thanks.

4. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Those pesky ARB bushes are notorious for being noisey with no obvious play when tugged. Get them replaced, there cheep enough.

5. foxleys Premium Member Club Supporter

England Jersey
    Many thanks Beefy, I'll get them done soon.

Is it possible my local Honda garage might have sprayed something on the last September & that's why it went quite for a while?

6. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

ARB bushes used to make mine knock and clunk from the rear of my tourer.

7. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I'll second that on the ARB bushes.

had exact same thing on mine, cheap fix so good news.

8. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    If you were really tight (or selling the car) you could simply remove and turn the bushes round as a quick free fix, but - as said - replacement bushes are very cheap anyway. It's a very simple DIY job UNLESS the bolts holding the bush clamps are seized! I can't think that Honda could have previously sprayed anything on them to stop the problem though.

Both the front and rear drop-link arms have a ball joint at each end. Mine failed it's last MOT because the rear drop-link arm ball joints were all a little worn. I replaced the ARB bushes at the same time, as there was a little bit of wear evident (which was also mentioned on the MOT).

Obviously it might not be the ARB bushes. If you think it could be the exhaust then find a way of waggling the exhaust while listening out for the sound... careful with shaking the tailpipe too much though, as the exhaust systems on petrol-engined car can become a bit weak and breakable. Another thing to try is opening the rear doors, standing on the kick-plate and bobbing up and down to see if that can make the noise occur, then have an assistant pinpoint the source.

foxleys likes this.
  9. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Agree with ARB bushes and drop links. A simple one but have you checked to make sure the spare tyre and tool kit is also secure?

Zebster likes this.
  10. foxleys Premium Member Club Supporter

England Jersey
    Hi all, many thanks for your help.

Spare tyre and tool kit is OK, I even took them out just to make sure & still the same problem.

Also I tried the opening back doors as suggested by Nighthawk & no noise detected.

I have booked my car into the local Honda dealer next Friday & will let you know the outcome.

BTW, we don't have the MOT here, so are reliant on our annual service etc etc.

Only one Honda dealer in Jersey.

Many thanks all!

11. foxleys Premium Member Club Supporter

England Jersey
    So yesterday I to my Accord to my local Honda dealer and they gave my car a road test and said the ARB bushes etc are fine.

He recons the rear seat latches just needed a bit of grease which I did this p.m., not fixed!

I folded the rear seat and the problem is reduced by quite a lot, so this is getting me annoyed so when I feel like it I'm going to remove the rear seats and everything in the boot storage (1 by 1) to see if I can pin point this!
    more later...........

12. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Time to sit in the back and let someone else drive and see if you can work out what is causing the noise.

foxleys likes this.