Engine & Gearbox Clunky gear change on 2009 Diesel

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Bryn, Thursday 10th Apr, 2014.

1. Bryn Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi folks, I've done a search and the stuff that turns up seems to be to do with the gearbox... while the thing I'm talking about is the actual gear stick on a 2009 Diesel manual with 52k on the clock.

It seems noisy to me , especially when shifting between first and second, just noise from behind the cowl that sticks out the dash board 'Clunk'

When I got the car from the dealership I mentioned this after a couple of days, and the salesman let me try the gear sticks on a couple of others on the plot, and both seemed the same as mine when sitting and working the stick .

I drive a Peugeot van at work with the gearstick coming out in a similar place and that is as silent as you'd expect.

So is this a case of 'they all do that sir' :Blink:
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Change the gearbox oil with genuine Honda MTF and take it from there fella,also check the linkages to see excessive bush play.
  3. Bryn Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I was angling it towards finding out if the clunky bit is normal ( at the gear stick end) as it really seems the noise is coming from behind the gaiter ... will have a look at the linkages
  4. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    I have the third gen 2010 model petrol and it is one of my only gripes with this car. I do find the gear change a little notchy between 1st and 2nd gears. I have driven other CR-V of similar age and they all seem to be the same. I am not sure if this improved on the 4th Generation, maybe the Dark Knight may be able to advise as he has a diesel version.
    Mike c
  5. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I can confirm the gear change on the 4th Generation is smoother than silk. No notchiness whatsoever. In fact, I find it a damn sight better than then 8th Generation Accord by a very wide margin.
  6. Bryn Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just a bit of an update on this.... Finally took it into the dealer (again)
    Techie had a wiggle of the gear stick, and said it probably needed new cables ( didn't realise it had cables between the gear shift and the gearbox)
    They changed the cables yesterday and said the old ones had stretched...and that they were recommending a new linkage set up too.... All under warranty :Smile:

Car is boked in for next Thursday for the linkage, and meanwhile the gear change is already improved :GoodJob:
  7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

That's good progress and under warranty too. Looks like you'll be all sorted soon. :Smile:
  8. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom
    Good to hear its on the way to get itself sorted
  9. Bryn Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

glad I paid out for a 2 year warranty back in February when I got the car... saying that I grumbled about the clunky gear change a couple of weeks after I got it.....It's took until now to get really fed up with it. They've done the cables on my warranty , and putting a request in for a new assembly on that as well.... but said that if that doesn't get accepted the sales dept will get the bill ... so a win win for me ... and it looks like excellent customer service too:Wink:
    SpeedyGee and DeviateDefiant like this.
  10. k9car Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

k9car warwickshire

Hi did you get it sorted? I have the same problem and just wondered if the gear change was any better after the work?
  11. Bryn Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sorry for the delay in replying

Yes got it sorted.. It's now had new cables and new selector mechanism ( if that's what it's called)
    Gearshift now feels much better, tighter is the way to describe it... First to second used to be really clunky... Now it's much better... But still not up to Peugeot Partner standards
  12. k9car Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

k9car warwickshire
    Thanks for replying, get ours back tomorrow and hopefully it will be better!
  13. Bryn Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Let us know :Wink:
  14. k9car Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

k9car warwickshire
    :clap::clap:Well! its 100% better, drives like new compared to what it was, they even changed the clutch master cylinder and pedal box, good service!
  15. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Great news. Now you can enjoy the drive. :Smile:
  16. Bryn Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Glad its sorted.. I had my clutch slave( i think? ) changed due to a squeky pedal a few months back....