Engine & Gearbox clunky gear change

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Banditbooth, Friday 26th Apr, 2013.

1. Banditbooth Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi. Firstly can I say, fantastic site. I have a honda accord 2.4 mk vll and have found out so much about it from this site.
    Secondly. My question.
    My accord is quite clunky changing gears when engine warm. Reverse is especially bad. I have the oils in that have been recommended on here (0w30) and correct gearbox oil. I've also bled the clutch fluid.
    Any idea's gratefully recieved.
    Thanks all.

2. Topper Harley Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sounds like your clutch could be on the way out.
    What mileage has the car done

3. Banditbooth Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi. Its done 86000.

4. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi there, I have the exact same issue. I did a DIY on changing the clutch fluid. It helped but hasn't cured the problem but did help a bit. I also lubricated the gear linkage in the center consul. The biggest noticeable difference was adjusting the clutch pedal under the dash. You can adjust the rod into the clutch master cylinder. It has a 12mm lock nut on a threaded bar, loosen this and twist the bar by hand. It made the bite point slightly higher. I think maybe as has been suggested on here is the pressure plate on my clutch has lost some tension. But adjusting the clutch pedal has helped enough for now. I guess I need a new clutch at some point. I would like to know what the gear change should be like on the 2.4. Mines a tourer. Tony

5. Banditbooth Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hiya. Thanks for that. I'm certainly going to try that tomorrow. We have the saloon, its a fantastic car and has been 100% reliable till this arose.
    cumbria 2013 100.

6. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

No probs, let us know how you get on. Just out of interest, was the gear change much smoother originally and has got worse or have you not had the car that long to know. I must admit I find the car oin 2.4 spec fantastic and such a smooth engine, very refined.

Ichiban likes this.
  7. Banditbooth Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hiya. We've had car just over 2 years. The gear change has always felt a little notchy but just recently has started to crunch getting reverse and first gear when warm. The engine itself is fantastic and feels very smooth. The spec is what drew us to it. But to be honest my wife has always been a Honda fan and swears by them. She has a very reliable Civic as a work car.

Last edited: Sunday 28th Apr, 2013
  8. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thanks, I must admit I did think mine was a little notchy, same as yours and I'm on a mission to make it smoother. Sometimes its silky smooth sometimes its like stirring spanners. My next job is a gear box oil change with Honda oil. Due at 75k according to the manual. Mines on 68k so due soon any way. Did you adjust the clutch pedal? Any improvement? Cheers tony.

9. Banditbooth Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi. I've adjusted the clutch pedal under the dash. Its made a slight difference but still notchy. I'll let you know if anything else I do makes it better.

All the best. :Smile:

10. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

No worries, ill let you know if new gearbox oil has any effect. Won't be for a couple of weeks though due to kids and work occupying all my time, LOL.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    How about changing the gearbox oil to Honda MTF 3 and see if the shifting is any better.

12. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thanks will give it a go. Is MTF 3 the latest Honda oil? Was going to get it from main dealer as like to keep things original. Cheers tony

13. Banditbooth Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I couldn't get honda mtf3 from anywhere else but honda. Even mechanic at work couldn't get it from his suppliers. Bit tight getting to fill hole in top of gearbox. I used a bit of hose with funnel on end.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Guys why don't you call up Holdcroft on Monday they will ship out the oil with free shipping.

15. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ah, good plan will do on monday, just one question, is the fill hole the same as the level check hole or is there one on top of the box similar to the diesel cars. Cheers tony.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I will do a Petrol DIY soon buddy.

17. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Fantastic! Thanks, Tony

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  19. redefined_cycles Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Right. I am having the same issues as above: gear changes feel a bit choppy whilst driving... especially when caning it and going from 1st to 2nd... Whilst the car is parked up the gear changes are very smooth... It seems if I don't sort this problem out I may end up a sunday driver wasting the real.potential of the 2.4 (ps.caning doesn't mean wreckless driving... careful ex bus driver!!!).

So, anyone who has managed to sort out their problem of choppy gear changes, plesse do share your experiences

20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Try a gearbox oil flush, maybe even two flushes a couple of hundred miles apart, use Honda MTF3, if there's no other issues, this should smooth out the gear changes.