Engine & Gearbox Clutch change - what best to plan for

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by royalblue, Sunday 9th Mar, 2014.

1. royalblue Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all,

Am thinking of changing my clutch. The clutch release bearing is noisy and the bite point is towards the top. What would be the full list of items you would change? Clucth kit + Flywheel?

thanks in advance!

2. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Whats the mileage on your car?

3. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Petrol or diesel?

4. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    Very unlikely you will need the DMF changing

5. royalblue Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sorry,

120k miles - it is a DTEC.

6. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    Is the car smooth when pulling away in 1st gear ??

7. royalblue Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not really. Also, out of gear when you press down/lift up clutch pedal, you can hear like a 'diesel rattle'. Noisy cltuch bearing?

Also looking at service history, seems still on original clutch...but not 100% sure

8. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    The clutch rattle sounds like release bearings. The usual sign of a DMF needing replacement is a vibration, if you're not getting that then the DMF should be ok. But when you have the gearbox removed for the clutch change they will be able to inspect the DMF and see how worn it is and advise a DMF change accordingly.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would say strip first to see what you dealing with then make your parts list , you need to check the DMF play whilst its attached to the flywheel.

10. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    Your pressure plates going mate the noise is the release bearing mines been like this a while same mileage (not very smooth pulling away, passengers can't tell but i can having to use more clutch pressure from standing start after that smooth as a babys bottom) new clutch will be needed that will sort it, i rang for a quote from Honda dealer before xmas and mentioned about DMF and if my memory serves me well he said they have not had to change 1 DMF yet on the I-DTEC how long the clutch will last is another question. I've put another 20-30k on since it started on mine and it is no worse. You could have yours done at Phoneix Honda he will replace clutch for £600 and with flywheel 1k they are doing offer on I-CTDI at moment for £900 for clutch and flywheel so would probably do same price for I-DTEC.

11. royalblue Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Got it. Thx guys!