Engine & Gearbox Clutch fluid level

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by J.A.M, Tuesday 28th Feb, 2012.

1. J.A.M Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My clutch fluid lever is quite a but above the MAX mark. Is that a problem? As I believe my biting point is quite high, so not sure if the two were connected.

Cheers
    Jake

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Jake,

You can take a syringe and draw out the excessive fluid, however that will not make any impact to the high biting point.How old is your care and what mileage have you done already?

It may be your clutch is reaching it end of serviceable life if the bite point is high.

3. J.A.M Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Me car is a 2004 I-CDTI. I thought my clutch was going as done 121000 miles and I thought it was slipping when got it a year ago (when put foot down, revs would suddenly pick up) but hasn't done that of a while. Now, It feels like there is a slight judder when accelerate some times.

I took it to local mechanic, he did the test where had hand brake on and put in gear and stalled it. He said clutch was ok.

So am confused. With the high biting point, what feels like juddering/hesitation when accelerating i would say clutch is on way out. But mechanic said it is ok.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    If your car has done that sort of mileage and has the original clutch then it is perfectly normal to have the bite point high.

You may want to get it inspected by a Honda dealership to get a second opinion just to get peace of mind, a lot of independent mechanics who haven't worked on the Honda diesel will not be aware of the methods to detect the clutch fault.

5. J.A.M Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

will honda charge to do these checks? money is bit tight at moment and with the inpending possibility of a clutch change and rear break change i need to save as much as possible

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes they will, but if you approach them in a manner that they think they will get work out of you I sure they can waive off their charge.

7. J.A.M Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

is there a name for the test or just talk to them? as my nearest honda garage is 30min drive away so can't just pop past to book it in, will need to call them

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just call in and say you think the clutch is spongy and can they have a look and give you a VHC aka vehicle health check.

9. LJG Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I took mine to the Dealership and the free inspection declared the clutch is on the way out. It judders a bit, causes a little vibration on 1st gear as it judders.

Catch point is quite high and not very defined, if you know what I mean... I should feel the catch much more than I do when I begin to release my clutch pedal.

I am confused about the fluid though... Is there a reservoir for it in the engine bay, like for steering, brake, etc? I can't remember actually lol :Aghast:.

Replacement cost with Honda Dealership, fixed price of £615.00 VAT included. Horrid but hey...

10. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

That's a good price as the official Honda Happiness prices are higher...good old Springfield Honda.

11. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Yes it's a small reservoir near to the brake fluid reservoir at the back of the engine bay just underneath the bonnet opening...just a bit bigger than a golf ball.

12. LJG Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Sayama,

Yes, found it... Lol. Thank you.