Engine & Gearbox Clutch hydraulics

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by James, Friday 2nd May, 2014.

1. James New Member Getting Started

James Wantage
    My 2005 petrol VTEC FR-V has an issue with the clutch I think, it's almost as if the clutch cable needs adjusting if it had one, it feels as if the bite point is through the floor! The brakes seem to be very light as well. Do they use the same fluid reservoir?? Anyone had the same problem?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    No they will be different reservoirs, standing at the front of the car, looking at the engine bay, left most reservoir along the bulkhead is for the brakes, and the much smaller one to the right is for the clutch.

How many miles has your car done ?

3. James New Member Getting Started

James Wantage
    We bought it at 70,000 miles and it's done about 80,000 now, it's just coming up to a service so was wandering what I might be able to do to sort problem myself instead of forking out £££s at the garage!

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Have a look at this see if it applies to your car Bulletins & Advisories - Safety Recall FR-V - Brake Master Power Vacuum Leakage • Honda Karma

If you feel confident at tackling the problem, then first thing to determine, does the clutch reservoir have the correct amount of fluid ? Then it maybe worth trying a clutch fluid flush. I think there should be a guide or two on this site, have a search. Make sure you bleed the air after changing fluid.

If this fails, then you need to determine if you have clutch master cylinder issue, slave cylinder issue, or actual clutch issue.