Engine & Gearbox Clutch issue Accord Tourer 2004 2.4

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by tonygw, Thursday 4th Apr, 2013.

1. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

hi Guys

Can anybody tell me if there is any adjustment possible on the 2.4 accord tourer clutch biting point or point where is fully disengages. Mine doesnt seem to be quite disengaging fully when I press the pedal.

ie, if i park up on a very slight incline with the car in first gear and the clutch pedal down the car does not roll but if I disengage first gear it does.

I have notice the gear changes a little notchy to and the bite point is very very close to the floor. Car is a 2004 2.4 tourer with 67K on the clock and full history.

Thanks

Tony

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Tony,

It sounds like your pressure plate has lost tension which is halved your pedal stroke. This happened to my 2.0 Tourer . However there are a few things you can check before going to get it looked at by someone. My 2.0 tourer spent 80 % of it time in built up area so the clutch got a battering with the constant changing of gears and it lost tension . The ones which pile the miles on the motorway hardly use the clutch so last longer. So if your car has done 67k in a build up area expect it to be showing signs of that!

Check the clutch fluid level in the CMC clutch master cylinder. if the CMC fluid is dirty change it with atleast 500ml. See the pedal feel then.

Notchy gears can be fixed by transmission fluid (MTF) change but if your clutch is not engaging or disengaging cleanly it can result in that too .

This is what the clutch looked like on my 2.0 Tourer after 87K miles http://hondakarma.com/posts/913/

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  3. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ah thanks for the reply.
    I'll start with the fluid, probably do a complete change. it would make sense if the fluid has absorbed moisture it may not be pushing the clutch lever on the gear box hard enough maybe? Well hopefully as I cannot afford to get the clutch replaced. The car is from wales where it is often damp so its possible.
    Is it a difficult job on these to change the clutch fluid and is it DOT 4 same as the brake fluid?
    I have only done one before on an MX-5 which was fairly easy to do.

if that doesnt solve the problem then how much roughly would I be looking at for a clutch replacement do you know? I woudlnt use a Honda Stealer ship unless I really had to!

Thanks

Tony

redefined_cycles likes this.
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Use DOT 4 brake fluid to change the CMC fluid. you should remove the coolant expansion bottle by removing the two 10mm bolts that will give you sufficient room to get a 8mm open end spammer to loosen the bleed nut on the SMC Slave master cylinder.

TOP tips

You have a circular cut out in the engine splash gaurd you can pass the transparent hose and route to the SMC bleed nipple without the need to remove it

Don't over tighten the two 10mm bolts holding the expansion bottle as they are moulded into the plastic radiator shroud they will crack and spilt if over tighten.

use plenty wd-40 and wait for it to work on the bleed nipple you want to remove it cleanly if you apply the wrong torque or incorrectly seat spanner you will bend the nipple

When I had the clutch changed the entire kit was really inexpensive sub 150 IIRC it the labour which was more. Speak to Holdcroft Honda I sure as a AOC member you can get a deal if it came to that.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The genuine Honda clutch kit for the 2.4 is 22105-RBB-315 and it retails at £219.91 it included clutch plate pressure plate and a release bearing.

All things considered that is a superb price which will come down via HH.

6. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thats brilliant advice!

many thanks for your help on this!

have a good day.
    Tony

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No problem Tony have please do a DIY for us if you plan to do it.