Engine & Gearbox Clutch issues

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by JSW, Tuesday 8th May, 2012.

1. JSW New Member Getting Started

I have an Accord I-DTEC registered in September 2008. The clutch started to slip last week and after confirmation by the dealer that it was 'slipping', I have now had it replaced. The friction plate is virtually unworn. The issue is the pressure plate which is failing intermittently. The car has done 38000 miles and I have never had a clutch fail before. The car has been dealer serviced since new. I was rather hoping that Honda might be sympathetic and make a contribution. Does anyone think I have a case?

2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Welcome to AOC, why not introduce yourself in the new members section.

To answer your question I think it would depend on the exact cause of the slip...if it's wear and tear related I doubt it and at the end of the day clutch parts are consumables which don't last the life of the car. If however it's design related Honda are not usually backwards in coming forwards in extending warranties to put right that sort of issue at their expense.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    As SA has already suggested please do take your time to introduce yourself.

JSW where did you get the clutch replaced at ? If you did this outside a Honda dealer then you won't have a argument.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    HI JSW , just caught the intro thread. The I-DTEC engine does not have the same issues as seen on the I-CTDI engines. The number of I-CTDI clutches changed since 2003 is well into their thousands as compared to the odd dozen confirmed cases on the I-DTEC.

The clutch design has been modified that the direct feedback from the I-CTDI engine,however in saying that all the clutches which have been replaced on the I-DTEC have been on the higher mileage side, your being the exception. Honda does impartially assist on case to case basis on such instances. Now your car is technically out of warranty and that for Honda that is black and white (out of warranty). In hindsight if you had raised the query with Honda customer relations prior to the clutch being changed you may have had a favourable result in your favour. If you had caught this slip earlier prior to the standard warranty expiring this would have been approved and fixed.

I personally have not seen a prematurely failed I-DTEC clutch yet seen a few with excessive heat and abuse and worn clutches.

To why your clutch has burnt out prematurely on your I-DTEC ? it can be number of issues, mechanical or self inflicted either way its hard to prove who is at fault.

5. JSW New Member Getting Started

Thanks for the info. Am I right therefore in thinking that you feel I have no chance with Honda as I had the work done immediately? I did this to avoid any flywheel issues. I do have the parts which were replaced and was considering posting them to Honda with a full explanation, original purchase info (me from new) and invoices from Holdcrofts confirming services etc.

6. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Only speaking personally, but I don't see that would work...with any garage/dealer/manufacturer for any car-related issue, you've got to give them a fair opportunity to fix it themselves, before you go somewhere else and then send them the bill afterwards IMHO.

7. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Also, you can bet your bottom dollar that the new clutch wouldn't of been fitted correctly if it hasn't been done by someone who has done an I-DTEC before.

Edit: just an opinion from experience.

Ichiban likes this.
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You do have the opportunity to approach Honda and plead your case,there is no harm in trying. Honda is cracking down on gesture of goodwill as the gravy train has been used and abused. so carefully think how you are going to approach it with them, be prepared to make some sort of concessions.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi JSW , what was the outcome of this?

10. Craneboy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,
    This is my first reply. I have a January 2011 DTec Tourer Exec which is a great car, its my 2nd Accord Tourer. I've just had my clutch replaced this week with 54K on the clock and under warranty with no cost to me.
    I took it to the dealer some weeks ago and made a comment it was slipping, it then settled down for a couple of weeks and started again. The service guy sid he had come across it before and would have it in for look and confirmed a day later it would be changed FOC which pleased me no end.

The dealer is Trident at Ottershaw, Surrey, top people too.

Tony

11. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi, welcome to the forum, why not say hi in the new members section.

In the meantime though thanks for the very useful contribution to the thread.

12. SkySkillsChris Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Essex
    Hi Tony ET al. Glad you had a result.
    I am new to this Forum as well as new to Honda cars (had bikes since 1976!)
    I bought a 2008 Tourer in June, 84k miles. Clutch started slipping last weekend whilst overtaking on motorways. Only 3 times but distinctly clutch slip. If you are driving, in gear and accelerate, and the engine revs climb but the speed doesn't climb correspondingly, it can only be the clutch slipping, not the ECU needing re-mapping or any other issue (except a major transmission break!).
    I took the car back to Glyn Hopkin a week ago, their service engineer took it out and managed to get it to slip once. 2500rpm in 4th. I had tried on the way there but couldn't get it to slip. The engineer tried several more times but couldn't manage to get it to slip again. He said it has happened before a few times but is not common.
    He advised it could be wear and tear on the clutch (86k when he drove it) though he thought if the DMF was wearing, this can also cause the clutch to slip if it is out of tolerance. This was news to me.
    The problem is now registered with Honda and if it becomes a problem, I will take it back. The car is under a 1 year warranty.

Out of interest, does anyone know of a reliable clutch/DMF replacement service? I have contacted CG clutches and they have been incredibly helpful but don't carry parts for the D-TEC yet, they think it is too new. If I was to ship them a Honda clutch they would then uprate it and fit it with a DMF, otherwise, if the clutch is just worn, Honda aren't going to replace it free and I am reluctant to pay dealer prices for what CG will do for £900 fitted.

All help and advice welcomed.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have seen some really poor workmanship from that firm,last year at HH a chap had this so called uprated clutch installed and the dealer was repairing all the faults on the car after the clutch install.

There isnt sufficient data on that clutch and people should be wary of such aftermarket claims of making a robust clutch . No matter how much spin or engineering claims you make.. you have to quantify it with results.

BTW the car which I saw being repaired was sold in matter of weeks to a punter at over the odds sating the clutch was designed for higher BHP and torque..

no S Sherlock.!!

14. SkySkillsChris Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Essex
    Thanks for the warning. Who are the "HH" you refer to?
    I note on other forums that CG seem to be praised by their customers. I wonder if that is just "post purchase justification" or genuine, from what you have said.

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    HH is for Holdcroft Honda where there was Accord meet last year, these reviews what are they based on ? i.e.

just the fact it called uprated
    seven petals Kevlar and other buzz words
    or genuine hard proven facts.

I can say I can upload a file to a diesel car and claim it does 280 BHP make a few more called stage 1 2 and 3 and heighten the claims, then get a few of close chums to write reviews.

16. SkySkillsChris Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Essex
    Hmmm, more food for thought. Is the same true for Celtic Tuning then?

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Chris Celtic tuning is not your backstreet file uploaded they are professionals who offer a guarantee on their work. Which file uploder you know gives that peace of mind?