Engine & Gearbox Clutch judder.

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by GavTheMighty, Friday 16th Nov, 2012.

1. GavTheMighty Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

As the title says I notice that I can feel a judder going through the clutch pedal when its pressed to change gears and as it comes up to the biting point it seems more noticeble in low gears was wondering if this is normal or a sign of bad things to come?

Gav.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Gav, here's the possibilities I can think of :-

1) gearbox oil seeping onto clutch (due to worn seals)
    2) glazed clutch
    3) condensation on clutch - does it happen only on cold mornings ?

Might be a couple of other possibilities but not coming to mind at the moment.

3. GavTheMighty Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I will admit it seems to be worse on a cold morning so it could be condensation I doubt it would be a glazed clutch because even after being with me for 5 mins it wouldn't be glazed anymore lol.

4. crvxva New Member Getting Started

UK
    For the past year I have had a first and reverse gear clutch judder on my CR-V 2.2 diesel upon pulling away when the engine is cold, particularly on a slight incline, that goes away once the engine has warmed up. The car is low mileage. It does not seem to be getting worse, and if I give the engine a few more revs when pulling away the judder is much reduced or not there at all.
    Seems to be a normal thing with the CR-V?

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Quite normal bud.. get the revs up on that incline and it won't happen basically you may be trying to labour the engine with low revs hence the judder.

The cold climate also isn't great , you need to get worried if you get judders when the engine is warm.

6. crvxva New Member Getting Started

UK
    Thanks for your quick reply and advice Ichiban, I will increase the revs on pulling away and note the difference (hopefully)
    I have to say the judder is fairly slight, therefore not really a bother...it never judders once the clutch has been used a few times and the engine warmed through. It probably started around 13k at 16 months old, car now has 22k on the clock.
    Thanks once again for your reasurrance

7. Blue Toffee Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have also just come across this issue, the car has been stood a week and when I reversed out of the garage last night it did judder, I tried it a few times and it was pretty constant although it was fine in 1st and once the car was warm it did seem to disappear...do you think this is the start of the dreaded DMF failure?

8. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I doubt it's DMF.Mine is petrol but also get judder when car has not been driven for a week or so.
    Goes away when car warm up.
    I would think it's condensation.

9. Blue Toffee Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for that, I was hoping it would be something like this.

10. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    My 6th Generation did this after I got a new clutch fitted - would make the whole car shudder. I reckon it was poorly fitted which was surprising considering the prestige cars he had in there. Never went back though.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Personally Judder is common on manual transmission Honda's, if you want judder free car just stop canning them, the flywheel gets wrapped causing the first gear judder.,....but where is the fun in driving a Honda sloooowwwwwly :vtec:

As Zoran said it can be condensation or simply glazing.