Engine & Gearbox Clutch master cylinder click and grind noise issue

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by tonygw, Monday 14th Sep, 2015.

1. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys

I have read the posts on here regarding this issue. My car has recently decided it wants to have this issue to and the clutch pedal is now sounding like a grinding clicking thing.

I see a couple of options here 1. Live with it / lubricate it 2. replace it.
    I haven't decided what to do yet though
    On a previous post I see the recommended lubricant is MolyKote G rapid plus aerosol to lubricate the internals of the master cylinder.
    Can somebody confirm this is the case and where on earth I can buy this stuff from?

Is the noise or issue any sign of imminent failure of the clutch master cylinder? I am driving the car to France later this year and so need to make sure its in good working order.

I have looked into replacing it myself and it looks doable if I go down that route. But one other question. The hydraulic pipe attached to the top of the master cylinder looks to be on some kind of quick release with a removable U pin? On top of this looks to be a normal hydraulic pipe connection screwed into the quick release. bolt. I understand the quick release bolt is only accessible once the master cylinder is removed. But can I not use a spanner and remove the hydraulic screw connection going into the quick release bolt? On youtube and other guides people have disconnected the hydraulic pipe further a long where it meets the rubber pipe to the slave cylinder. Do I need to do this or can I remove the pipe at the master cylinder.

Sorry a few questions..

Thanks!!

Tony

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Tony you can source a can of MolyKote G rapid plus aerosol from any Citroen or Pug dealer . The CMC change is fiddly not to mention you will have a bad back doing it also there is no quick release pipes.

Get a genuine CMC from Honda and be done with. personally.

3. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes looks fiddly under the dash board. Can I unscrew the hydraulic pipe on the top of the master cylinder once the system is drained though if I intend to have a go? Bleeding the system looks to be a bit of a pain to!
    I am guessing the molykote is really only a temporary fix then and replacement is the only true solution.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Bleeding is easy part thou, the grease is a temp fix it not the solution.

5. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

right.. I'll give Holdcroft a call :Smile:
    I have a local mechanic I can use as the weather and time is putting me right off at the moment. lol

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I greased mine, last year I think and have not had the issue reappear. I did put up with it for a pretty long time but the temp fix has held well for me.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    don't speak too early the cold weather will be here soon.

Last edited: Monday 14th Sep, 2015
  8. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mine started clicking just before holidays.
    Greased it last week and it's gone away for now.Very awkward to get to it.

How much is the replacement out of interest?

9. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

haven't had chance to call HH but a quick look on Lings and it comes in around £162... ouch. Hoping HH will have a better price for me.

mmmm decisions..

AccordCU2 likes this.
  10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

With your France trip, I'd bite the bullet and get it changed now. Can you imagine how much it will cost over there, yet alone the disruption to your holiday.

Nighthawk likes this.
  11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's a very good point @Nels

Nels likes this.
  12. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

yes my thinking also. I think you guys have made me see sense! I need to replace and be done with it.

It costs what it costs for peace of mind!
    cheers
    Tony

Nighthawk and Nels like this.
  13. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Its indeed expensive to get it done through Honda but its still cheaper than getting the car recovered and also having the CMC changed if it gives out on you when you are on your trip.

You have to be a contortianist to remove the CMC from within the footwell of the 7th Generation. I had a bad back afterwards for a good few days after changing mine myself.

14. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Guy Gloucester
    Oh no not another one :-(

I replaced my master cylinder myself and is very fiddly especially the ten o'clock nut that needs to be removed while you are attempting your best contortionist skills deep in your footwell :Smile:

I managed to remove the u pin with pliers and flathead screwdriver to utilise the quick release in the engine bay to save less messing around.

I also lubed my slave cylinder and is fine at the moment but as @Ichiban said the cold is approaching so we will see.

Fresh fluid and making sure bleed properly sounds like will make big difference too....

See discussion I had with @DieselPower and @Bones126 :Smile:

Hope you get sorted, let us know how you get on.

15. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

OK a quick update on this... not good.

Had the master cyclinder replaced but the noise is still as bad as ever.
    Although my mechanic (who I trust) did say the clutch master cylinder was grinding slightly when tried on the bench. It wasn't the culprit. It turns out the clutch has failed in some way since the pedal is very stiff to press (which is true as it is) putting extra pressure on the bushes that the pedal pivots on making the noise I am hearing. The clutch has always been quite stiff to press in my car. But apparently there is very little movement of the actual cutch indicating that the springs are not working or the clutch release bearing is jamming preventing the clutch from fully releasing.

Does this sound feasible??
    My route of action is to get a new genuine Honda clutch and release bearing and get the clutch replaced.

Can anybody comment on this and does this sound like the right course of action? This is on the recommendation of my mechanic. Other symptoms include difficult to engage reverse (crunches) and sometimes a notchy gear change.

Looks like I am in for a biggish bill......

Dag nam it...

16. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    It is feasible from what i remember. Sounds more like the pressure plate failing or it has some broken fingers already which would make it hard to operate correctly. Either way a thrust bearing, clutch and pressure plate are all replaced as a kit as a matter of course.

17. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Guy Gloucester
    I still have massive gear selecting issues and have replaced nearly all I can think of and wish someone could get to the bottom of my issue so can be solved once and for all but seems no one is really quite sure of the cause so thinking would love to just replace absolutely everything including the gearbox but if doing that might aswel go in like @DeviateDefiant just has although with all the pain he had gone through thinking should maybe just replace with new OEM? Views???

18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    My take on it mate is you should replace that CC clutch with a more reliable unit, and at the same time swap to the new revised Genuine Honda Clutch Master Cylinder which solves the creaking issue the original ones had. I'll be doing this myself shortly.

The gearbox overhaul I'd thoroughly recommend to anyone but I'm sure you realise already just what you could be getting yourself into. We need to have a little meet-up over the next few weeks after I've got the last couple of little issues sorted on mine so you can see what you think of the difference :Smile:

K24 CL9 GUY likes this.
  19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Ok take a step back no one till now has asked how many miles has your clutch done nor have you stated how many miles its covered? Take all the diagnostics steps recommended so far as a pinch of salt. if your clutch is worn then the mechanism to assist it engagement can be brand but it cannot eradicate wear and tear of the clutch kit.

This mechanic you trust does not really know how to diagnose the drive train buddy that my brutal assessment.