Guides Clutch Master Cylinder Replacement

Accord 97-02

1. skhell Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Last edited: Tuesday 27th Dec, 2011
    Ichiban likes this.
  2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Brilliant write-up Pedro...much appreciated.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Superb bud, did you have any issues in fitting the new clutch master cylinder, did you notice outlet pipe would not connect to the new master cylinder as it set at a the wrong angle?

Secondly was the original Master cylinder you pulled out black in colour? as this was a know problem when you replaced the black one with the new aluminium based cylinders.

4. skhell Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Although the space is quite tight, I think it was quite easy to install. The pipe was also quite easy, since you just have to make sure the pipe goes through the hole, and then you just have to put pin to be sure it won't come out.

That's funny you ask that. The old cylinder was exactly the same as the new one, which is not a Honda part. Both the one which was in the car as well as the new one had "NABCO JAPAN" written on it. I don't know if the cylinder in the car was original or if the previous owner had already changed it, but suspect not, since there is no records of it in the car service records, and it only had about 74000km when I bought the car.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    if the old one wasnt black it has been changed bud, If i were you to prolong the life of master and slave cylinder change the fluid every year.

6. skhell Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Humm, that's interesting...
    Yes, I am aware of changing the clutch fluid. Actually I am about to do it in a couple of weeks!

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Pedro that what the original CMC should have looked liked.

AOCUK 6th gen resin black CMC.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just to add to this thread, if you are using Genuine Honda parts this is just for informational purposes and to learn from when replacing the clutch master cylinder the outlet pipe will not connect to the new master cylinder as it is now pointing in the wrong angle.

There are two types of master cylinder fitted to the 6th Generation Honda Accord . The earlier type master cylinder was subject to design change to improve durability, and the new master cylinder is not a direct replacement for this type.

The earlier master cylinder was made from resin and is black in colour with the pipe from the fluid reservoir located at the very front of the unit. The newer unit is made from metal and is silver in colour with the reservoir hose behind the outlet pipe union.

If you need to replace the clutch master cylinder then please check the colour and material of the original part first. If you have the silver metal unit (as shown in Image 2 ) then you will only need to replace the master cylinder (part number listed below). If you have the original black resin unit (as shown in Image 1) then you will need to replace the outlet pipe and seals as well as the master cylinder,refer to the parts information listing for the correct part numbers.

To replace silver metal type master cylinder Honda genuine Part Numbers ( seek clarification from dealers if part numbers have superseded)
    • 46920-S84-A02 Clutch Master Cylinder
    • 46996-S84-A01 Pipe To Cylinder Seal

To replace black resin type master cylinder
    • 46920-S84-A02 Clutch Master Cylinder
    • 06CLU-S1A-M25 Fitting Kit

The kit comprises a new outlet pipe and 2 pipe seals.

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Guide images fixed and added to the Guides & DIY section.