Engine & Gearbox Clutch or engine power issue?

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by agadza, Monday 2nd Nov, 2015.

1. agadza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Agadza London
    Hello,
    I used to own a 2nd Generation CR-V, 2.0 i-VTEC petrol. I have changed to a 3rd generation 2.2 I-CTDI with some disappointment.
    I have noticed that the third gear in particular on the 3rd generation is "weaker", even though it is a diesel and has a bigger engine. There were manouvres I could easily complete in third gear on the 2.0 petrol that are simply impossible on this diesel engine. You simply have to drive it carefully. You could also accelerate strongly in third on the petrol, but feel no such pull on the diesel. I also pick up that quite a few owners of the third generation CR-Vs have had clutch problems requiring replacements.
    Is this a feature to be mindful of or is there another issue I am missing?
    Is there an issue with the gearbox/clutch on the third generation models?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Are you sure the engine is full health ? I'm not a CR-V or indeed a diesel owner but I would say you should have more torque in the diesel for sure.

Any thoughts on this @Zebster ?

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi @agadza I think coming from a petrol you will find the lack of torque you can gear up without the engine shuddering, on a diesel if you are in high gear with low revs it will shudder to a halt and may even stall.

I would say get used to the engine and use it torque.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Ah yes, good point CJ !

You need to get into the turbo zone for the torque in the diesel

5. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    What kind of RPM are you having problems in 3rd gear as what CJ said if below 2K you haven't hit the sweet spot

6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    The diesel certainly has more torque, but the petrol's higher revs allows it to make a similar BHP figure (BHP = torque x RPM / 5252). Gearing converts torque anyway, and diesels have higher gearing than petrols. But the diesel produces its power at much lower revs and so should therefore 'feel' more powerful under normal driving, so its odd that you feel it to be less powerful.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    However if he is at low revs in third gear it will induce stalling. I know as I have a horrid ford mondeo which loves to stall if the revs are low in high gear. So your explanation doesn't hold sorry seb

8. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    He didn't mention using low revs in third gear. Nor stalling.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    If he a petrol owner changing upto a higher gear quickly will result in higher fuel efficiency.. :Wink: A habit we petrol owners cannot adapt when given a weasel engine overnight.

10. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I didn't offer an explanation, I said it was odd. Which I still think it is!

Is there any chance the clutch could be slipping?

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Lets wait for the OP to clarify our knickers in a twist shall we. :hairout:

12. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I would like to clear any misunderstanding about my knickers. They remain untwisted!

I'm disappointed that I can't explain why a diesel should feel less powerful than its petrol equivalent, when most owners feel otherwise. I think there may be a fault?

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Seb that was never my intentions to imply that I just wanted facts presented so we all can make our recommendations and help to OP.
    Without the OP's input we are all sat playing the guessing game.