Engine & Gearbox Clutch pedal creaking

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by croxster, Wednesday 29th Aug, 2012.

1. croxster New Member Getting Started

Hi all i am new here i have a 2003/4 honda CR-V se sports
    the problem is over ther last few thousand miles every time i press or release the clutch pedal it creaks like made its starting to really p**s me off its definatly coming from the pedal area i have tried to spray so white grease up there seems to cure for a little bit then its back just wondered if any one has had this and managed to cure it please help
    cheers croxster

2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Silicone grease can be a short term help but really the choices are live with it or replace the master cylinder.

3. croxster New Member Getting Started

hi thanks for that is this a common problem nd is the master cyl a 'cheap' easy fix

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have to add try changing the brake fluid in the clutch master cylinder it does make things slightly better. The older the car get the fluid needs replacing frequently.

On Helen old car I was changing the fluid ever 12000 miles as the fluid was getting contaminated at an alarming rate. I did a water absorption test and the fluid was condemned as per the tester. I have also noticed car used for shorter journeys contaminate the fluid faster than the ones which plough the motorways.

you can get cheap brake fluid testers on ebay Brake Fluid Tester | eBay .if you do use then dip them in water to calibrate them and then wipe clean before taking readings.

5. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Which brake fluid do you recommend?

6. mcgowanp Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I seem to have a similar issue from day DOT with mine. The pedal creaks just as you initially press it and just at the end when releasing. Its quite hard to see under the pedal but mine seems to to coming from the spring area (perhaps the spring itself) .Functionally there doesn't seem to be any issue with mine but the creaking sound isn't nice after a while. can't get the weather to have a good look at it either.
    When i got the car i had it checked over with my local Honda dealership but they didn't mention any issue with it. The only thing i did have changed was the break fluid which they said was close enough to the % limit for moisture.

7. Spud Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have the squeaking clutch pedal on my 2006 CR-V; I've never got rid of the noise; sometimes it's more noticeable than other times. I just live with it now; I've sprayed all sorts at the pedal joint without real success.

8. hondavtecr Trader

Chris Manchester
    Im sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the only way to completely stop the creak is to replace the clutch master cylinder.

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Be careful what you spray where, some lubrication/penetration sprays eat or swell rubber seals

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    As above if you have already used varouis spray the likelyhood of you causing damage to the rubber seals is high. You may want to swap the whole unit.

If you had found this thread prior then it could have been fixable.

http://hondakarma.com/posts/19037/

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  11. mcgowanp Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Given this is the solution to the creaking - Whats happens if you don't change it? Are you risking damage to the other parts?

12. hondavtecr Trader

Chris Manchester
    not at all, only your ears and sanity

13. mcgowanp Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I will just turn up the premium sound system so! Cheers

14. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Mine was doing this. I just got into foot well pushed peddle down and gave it a quick squirt of spray grease all sorted and no more creaking. Have done it twice and stopped immediately both times. Cheaper than replacing. Now if I could just stop the static through the radio with the rear screen demister on I would be a very happy bunny :Smile:

15. Bowler Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Picked mine up today had it 15 minutes clutch creaking when released gentley, will try lubricating but don't hold out much hope as just found service report from previous owner with a quote for £424 to replace Master cylinder and pedal to cure creak ouch! Do have three months warranty so hopefully covered.

16. mcgowanp Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Looks like the part is about £150....wonder is there much labour in this...
    Accords seem to be a little bit of a money pit in relation to parts....

17. mcgowanp Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

... Apologies that's just for master cyl assembly.... Do you need to replace both?