Engine & Gearbox Clutch Pedal Squeak

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Friday 29th Aug, 2014.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I've got that horrid clicking noise and feeling in the clutch pedal, same as the Accord. Is there a guide anywhere for fixing it? I used Red Rubber Grease before but I'm sure there was a special kind of lubricant recommended - or should I just ask Honda to do it when it's in next week?

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I used some molycote stuff, what was recommended by Ichiban if I remember correctly. Its really easy to do but you will have to crawl around inside of your footwell. Look to where your clutch pedal connects to the master cylinder rod. If you push the pedal down a bit with your hand, the rod will move inside of the cylinder and expose a hole obviously. Spray a fair bit in there, and then push the pedal in and out a good few times to lubricate it. I put a bit too much in and it came back out again and made a bit of a mess.

Ripped that picture from a google search, so it is not mine but it shows where to spray.

Solved my issue for a little while, but its back with avengance, I am going to change the clutch master cylinder within this month sometime.

The stuff I used was this:

Molycote G Rapid Plus 400ml Lubricating Paste Spray Aerosol By Dow Corning | eBay

Worked really well, but its hard to get off anything you don't want it on. Water resitant so its great for door hinges etc. Used it on the garage door, 3 months later its still behaving itself. Just does not appear to get washed away at all.

Bones126 and DeviateDefiant like this.
  3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    My setup looks slightly different. I went a bit crazy after my first attempt failed and just covered everything there in Silicone spray and the squeaking has gone, but that creaking/feeling in my hoof is still there.

Here's what mine looks like, nothing appears to disappear into the bulkhead direction.

Clutch%20Pedal%201.

Clutch%20Pedal%202.

4. Nighthawk Guest

Can you take a picture of behind your clutch pedal? If you go further in, hopefully you will see a C shaped clamp which is attached to the rear of your clutch pedal with a pin which then leads to the clutch cylinder. I changed mine yesterday so took some pics, hopefully that may help you although I appreciate it is a different model. No idea if they change their design across models

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I got in quite deep and couldn't see anything. I'll try and look at some diagrams and see if it reveals anything. :Smile:

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
  7. Nighthawk Guest

8. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    No worries, cheers anyway. Will Honda say this is a wear and tear issue? Mind you, after what they've done to me so far I would hope they wouldn't try that on me.

9. redefined_cycles Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi. just thought I would give a little update on the clutch pedal squeak issue. on my 2003 Type-S accord tourer. this squeak had started to set in around 8 months ago. very light though. I read on here somewhere, something that pheonix honda had stated: "its just an annoying squeak and nothing more". he added something to the effect that it can be sorted properly for some dough but nothing to worry about.

So, after a while of the squeaking of the clutch pedal (had already had clutch fluid and brake fluid and also the manual transmission fluid (original oil from MD) changed at a local small-one man- garage) the gear knob started to play up: slowly the gear engagement got worse and worse and eventually I was having to yank it into gear with some force. went to a trusted garage locally (recommended by a good friend who really does know his stuff and teaches mechanics at college). They told me to take it to TopGear in Cleckheaton as they are supposed to be the bees knees in the local area on clutches and gearboxes.

Took it down (to my judgement as a novice and going over events of the past few months I have concluded eventually that the clutch wasn't actually at fault but the story continues) to TopGear as suggested and the mechanic took it for a drive. After a few moments of driving and yanking it into gear he diagnosed, a new clutch is needed (despite the re being no loss of power whilst driving and once gear was engaged it ran like normal uphill as well as on a flat). Taking these guys to be the people in the know I was confident that this would solve the issue. Had an Exedy (heavy duty) clutch put in from these guys at a relatively good price of £366 inc of VAT. The clutch also came with a 2 year warranty so hey-ho I thought...

So took the car for a test drive immediately (on the way home) but for some funny reason it kept falling out of gear (in fourth gear if I remember correctly). Took it back to the blokes at TopGear and the gaffer took the car for a test drive. Telling me that "it's going in gear now" and that "the notchy gear shifting is normal as the parts are still calibrating themselves into position as the system has been disturbed"...

So trusting the geezer (especially after he reminded me "any problems then just bring it back") I went on my merry way. Thinking that the gearing would become smoother over time-which it briefly did- I went on my merry way. All the while the squeak in the clutch was getting slightly worse. I had mentioned this squeak to the bloke at topgear after the clutch replacement and he'd brushed it off with "just throw a bit of WD40 in there" which I didn't do (Speedy-what do you reckon?). So eventually around a month or two ago (Clutch done in around May) whilst I was parking up I noticed a 'clang' at the clutch pedal after which I noted that the Cruise Control had stopped working...

As I was short of cash I didn't bother having the cruise control rectified as everything else seemed fine (Ichiban, please don't shout at me! :no:). Then a few weeks later the same problem (clutch/gear not engaging and needing a good yank to get it into gear) manifested as before the clutch replacement. Rang up the blokes at TopGear who told me the gaffer wasn't around and he would give me a call in 3 days time or at the latest "next week". Desperate to have a working car I asked if I could just bring the car down for them to have a look but no joy as I was told that they wouldn't be able to see me and to be patient until the gaffer returns my call.

Instead I called the local garage who had sent me there so they could have a look and sort it (it was obviously some other problem and there was no need to feel that TopGear had put a dodgy clutch as it's their bread and butter). Unable to make an appointment at said garage until the next week (baby on way in the next few days/hours) as they are understandably very busy, I took car down to AutoCentre in Huddersfield as they have around 30 years experience and because I know the gaffer I would be able to fit something/work something out ASAP (hopefully). So, Autocentre took the car for a spin and diagnosed the initial fault (of gear not engaging) as a faulty clutch master cylinder so I had this sorted. Told them about the cruise control issue and after replacing the master cylinder they noted that the clutch pedal had broken somewhere up-top.

After having the master cylinder and clutch pedal welded I picked up my car and everything was sorted! Gearing at the time was very smooth but over the next few weeks it again feels a bit notchy (but not as before and engages gear fine as well as the squeak in the pedal being elimnated). I have looked into this issue (of the notchy clutch) and read the manual and believe it may be because the transmission fluid (am I right in saying the Gearbox fluid would have been renewed during the clutch change??) during the clutch change a few months ago wasn't replaced with the genuiine stuff (the handbook states that if the original MTF isn't used it can cause notchy gear changes over time!). So I will have a go at this myself soon.

Sorry for the longwinded response above but as many things don't ever really get an update after problems are fixed, I thought the above may serve as a thorough job of updating stuff (past and present). Also, in case anyones wondering, The blokes at TopGear didn't end up giving me a call back!

Now, can someone please point me to the section where it states how to bleed the brake!. Ta

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Glad to hear you got to the bottom of it in the end, I went through the whole thing myself with my previous '03 Accord. Before I brought it the CMC was replaced, I started struggling to shift, knew the clutch was on its way out, it eventually died. Upon replacing the clutch it was noted the pedal assembly had partially sheered, welded it up, all solved.

The notchiness on the gearing will most likely be the MTF needing a flush through, it's not common to do it on a clutch replacement, but is something that should be done at the most every 75k, I'll personally be doing mine at 25k once the newly built-up box is in my '07 (separate story).

Plenty of posts covering it but no definitive guide AFAIK, look here.

To be quite frank, they sound like monkeys. I paid a back street £130 for my replacement but my monkey found the snapped assembly :Laughing: (and also left lots of wiring loose and not tied down, can't win them all eh)

11. Paul1000 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Paul Neston
    I tried every oil and grease possible to no avail, then tried some 3 in one spray I had for my bike, it works a treat, lasts a couple of months.